Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 VFL Rd 15: Northern Blues vs Williamstown (Read 9652 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 VFL Rd 15: Northern Blues vs Williamstown

Reply #45
Nothing of stand out there today.

Generally poor structures, lack of run, general disinterest from many players. Coach all you like, they can't run or tackle for the blokes out there, I've not seen a Fraser coached team look so disorganised, so I cannot blame the coach!

The usual suspects, lots of footy for players like Graham and Mullett highlighted by awful ball use and even worse decision making. Players like O'Shea on multiple occasions kicking to a static Le Bois surrounded by three Willi defenders.

Very little work ethic from Levi, that's about all I can say and I was hoping and expecting some dominance.

Plenty of work ethic from Kerr but awful disposal and decision making.

Lobbe average before being bandaged up, OK after that but little or no impact on the result.

Byrne, little of no impact.

Best players were probably not AFL listed players, not what you want to see when AFL spots are clearly up for grab, nobody looks like they want to be in our AFL side! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #46
Fine.... Go at half rat power.... The out door is on your right.

Quickly sorting out who isn't going to be here next year.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
They were all giving it their best shot as far as I could tell but they were hopelessly undermanned, the only two who looked above the level were Byrne and Kerr.
Graham, Casboult, O'Shea and Mullet had a crack but they aren't anything startling at the best of times and when the team is being spanked they don't look any better.
Shaumaker (?) kicks it well and shows a bit of promise, Le Bois has skill but doesn't get the ball, that he battles away is about the best you can say about Lobbe.
It was never going to be pretty.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #48
I feel for Graham, he works hard and win heaps of the footy, but the lad cannot hit a barn from arms-length away even when he is under zero pressure!

Anyone watching the replay will need a calculator to tally the number of times our guys missed open targets at barely a legal kicking distance away, even when under no immediate physical pressure. How so many 15m passes regularly bounce in front of the target is just beyond me, even if the kicker is standing still or walking backwards we should expect and demand far more from AFL listed individuals, it is just unacceptable and has become a joke!

Are we better off with a player that gets the ball half as much but hits targets?

As an aside, another blight on our player development, the lack of players capable on both sides of their body is a joke! The stupid outside foot kicks rarely come off, they are highlight reel bullcrap that works once in a dozen attempts! How can it be that full-time trained AFL listed players cannot kick a 15m pass on their non-preferred leg?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
Our foot skills yesterday bordered on criminal, Byrne and Wilson were the only exceptions.
It isn't only our senior listed players, the VFL is second only to the AFL in the country and anyone playing at that level should have the basics covered.
I'm told that there were half a dozen or so who have been playing VFL seconds but that still leaves 16 or 17 players who should do better.
I thought that Kerr's kicking in general play was OK but three points from three set shots isn't good enough.
Nevertheless the senior experience seems to have done him good, he presents well, butters up and generally looks as though he wants to be involved.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #50
Our foot skills yesterday bordered on criminal, Byrne and Wilson were the only exceptions.
It isn't only our senior listed players, the VFL is second only to the AFL in the country and anyone playing at that level should have the basics covered.
I'm told that there were half a dozen or so who have been playing VFL seconds but that still leaves 16 or 17 players who should do better.
I thought that Kerr's kicking in general play was OK but three points from three set shots isn't good enough.
Nevertheless the senior experience seems to have done him good, he presents well, butters up and generally looks as though he wants to be involved.

Agree on Kerr, his kicking was poor but he has one thing none of our young kids have and thats physical presence, he gets into the opposition, likes a push and shove
and creates a bit of worry when he attacks the footy. I really want him back in the seniors working with Mckay and Charlie...thats the future and they all offer something different.
If you are a forward in the NB's you dont get much help as the forward entries are woeful and hitting targets is rare.....
Wilson is a goer, pity he doesnt have that extra yard or a bit more size......Byrne looked better than most but has that odd brain fade down back.....Oshea tries but got flogged by Rodda and Mullet is next to useless.

Ben Cavarra from Willy has a few more tricks than Wilson and I'd think about him as a rookie....quicker and has that happy knack of kicking goals with that nice left foot he has.

Reply #51
Agree on Kerr, his kicking was poor but he has one thing none of our young kids have and thats physical presence, he gets into the opposition, likes a push and shove and creates a bit of worry when he attacks the footy. I really want him back in the seniors working with Mckay and Charlie...thats the future and they all offer something different.

Yep, this is one of the reason I like the idea of the mature ager to show them the way, it's why I was so keen on McDonald.

Now I'm not sure who is a possible, but we need to get on with finding someone!

I'm dead set paranoid about leaving our kids go too long with poor role models leading the way!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Agree on Kerr, his kicking was poor but he has one thing none of our young kids have and thats physical presence, he gets into the opposition, likes a push and shove
and creates a bit of worry when he attacks the footy. I really want him back in the seniors working with Mckay and Charlie...thats the future and they all offer something different.
If you are a forward in the NB's you dont get much help as the forward entries are woeful and hitting targets is rare.....
Wilson is a goer, pity he doesnt have that extra yard or a bit more size......Byrne looked better than most but has that odd brain fade down back.....Oshea tries but got flogged by Rodda and Mullet is next to useless.

Ben Cavarra from Willy has a few more tricks than Wilson and I'd think about him as a rookie....quicker and has that happy knack of kicking goals with that nice left foot he has.

I know you're not sold on Byrne but he looked a cut above to me yesterday, one particular piece of his play was right out of the top draw.
Kerr doesn't have the same raw talent but I was still impressed, his second efforts and attitude look to be what are required and his skills aren't shabby.
Shumaker and DeKoning the jury is out, there's no hurry in my opinion.
Even though Graham is limited I'd still have him in the seniors on Sunday ahead of Polson and Pickett.

Reply #53
I know you're not sold on Byrne but he looked a cut above to me yesterday, one particular piece of his play was right out of the top draw.
Kerr doesn't have the same raw talent but I was still impressed, his second efforts and attitude look to be what are required and his skills aren't shabby.
Shumaker and DeKoning the jury is out, there's no hurry in my opinion.
Even though Graham is limited I'd still have him in the seniors on Sunday ahead of Polson and Pickett.

They missed DE Koning yesterday, not as a ruck, but he offers a real contest up forward as a marking target. Overhead he looks better than both McKay and Kerr, I think as a contested mark he's shows potential to be the equal of Levi at a game for game stage. But in terms of physicality De Koning is well behind the others.

We could well play De Koning in the AFL as a skinny tall running wingmen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
That is a suggestion with merit.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #55
They missed DE Koning yesterday, not as a ruck, but he offers a real contest up forward as a marking target. Overhead he looks better than both McKay and Kerr, I think as a contested mark he's shows potential to be the equal of Levi at a game for game stage. But in terms of physicality De Koning is well behind the others.

We could well play De Koning in the AFL as a skinny tall running wingmen!

De Koning is still getting over the lacerated kidney mentally and getting his confidence back to become more physical, was a bad injury, having numpties from the burbs jumping into your back after that type of injury isnt easy to deal with every weekend. Good kid is TDK and I expect his chance to come later this year or next season.......

Reply #56
Northern Blues: 1.2-8  4.3-27  6.3-39  9.5-59
Williamstown: 6.3-39  7.8-50  12.12-84  14.14-98

Northern Blues
Goal Kickers: C. McCabe 2, N. Graham 2, K. LeBois 2, M. Lobbe, A. Mullett, T. Wilson
Best Players: J. Hill, M. Lobbe, N. Graham, C. Byrne, J. Palmer, C. McCabe

Williamstown
Goal Kickers: N. Rodda 5, B. Cavarra 2, S. Dunell 2, L. Masters 2, M. Norton, J. Pickess, A. Marcon
Best Players: M. Gibbons, J. Tippett, B. Cavarra, S. Dunell, L. Buckwell, L. Schultz

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #57

Northern Blues
Goal Kickers: C. McCabe 2, N. Graham 2, K. LeBois 2, M. Lobbe, A. Mullett, T. Wilson

Williamstown
Goal Kickers: N. Rodda 5, B. Cavarra 2, S. Dunell 2, L. Masters 2, M. Norton, J. Pickess, A. Marcon
Best Players: M. Gibbons, J. Tippett, B. Cavarra, S. Dunell, L. Buckwell, L. Schultz

I had a beer with Sam Dunell on Friday night at the game in a corporate box.  Nice guy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
I'm dead set paranoid about leaving our kids go too long with poor role models leading the way!

X2

Reply #59

Northern Blues

Williamstown

Wonders if Gibbons might get some more attention this draft period.....Casboults man was J Tippett so not a good game for Levi.
I'm liking Cavarra, consistent, has some tricks and kicks goals...