Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 17: Pre Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 22871 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 17: Pre Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #60
I'm more than happy with O'Brien.
He's in his first season and isn't physically mature, at the moment he looks like a boy against men.

Yes, agree. Far too early to be making calls on boys who got out of nappies 5 minutes ago and still keep Clearasil in the bathroom cupboard.

We have plenty of mature bodies that get us into more strife than Dow or O'Brien.  

Reply #61
I think you're reading something that isn't there.
He does some good things and has an instinct for a goal but he doesn't get involved enough in the game and has periods where he becomes almost invisible.
I don't think that it's a lack of effort, maybe he's just not up to it.

Don't call it a lack of effort because that's not what I'm saying.

Blokes who play footy don't go at half rat power when the game is going.

What does happen though, is that they don't come to play.  Hence why they become invisible and not involved in the game.

Hence why he does some good things.  Competitive instincts kick in, and off he goes.  Then at some point, guys who aren't putting in the requisite effort or are spraying the footy, turning it over, let the team down, and young players drop their heads.  They think to themselves what am I doing here, and they get DISTRACTED.

They start questioning themselves, where they are playing, the journey, and their careers wondering whether or not they might be better off in another team.

All whilst a game is playing.

I would rather attribute it to a lack of focus, rather than a lack of effort.

Calling it a lack of effort is implying they don't care or don't try, which is not quite the same thing as what I am suggesting.

Considering where our footy club is at, and where it has been, I wouldn't be surprised if all of it simply results in a lack of belief.

If anyone wants to see what a lack of belief does to a football club, have a look at Richmond FC and Collingwood.  Collingwood is still unable to win a premiership in September and that goes back to the "colliwobble" and goes over many generations of players, but is still true today.

Richmond, have a mental block that they only got over a year ago, and look at them now, they are completely unstoppable.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #62
GWS stopped them, even with the umps trying to keep the Tigers in it....

;D ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63
Obrien is keener and has a better work ethic but players who pull up short in contests dont win finals and I want his kicking/disposal to be better.
Cuningham IMO has more ability but a lazy work ethic and is another " I will please myself when I go for the ball" type player.

Dow is the complete package of work ethic and attack on the ball...he just needs more experience working with better quality players....

He also needs to learn that giving it off ASAP isn't always the best option, but that will come with experience.
He should watch footage of Cripps and Murphy.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #64
GWS stopped them, even with the umps trying to keep the Tigers in it....

;D ;)

I didn't watch the game, according to Dimma they were hard done by, frees are about even not like playing in Perth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #65
Silicy unlikely to play - being scanned for a suspected broken wrist.

Key Hawks missing this week: Burgoyne, McEvoy, Rioli, Birchall and now Silicy. A lot of talent missing.

If we weren't so crap I would give us a chance this week. :-\

Reply #66
Silicy unlikely to play - being scanned for a suspected broken wrist.

Key Hawks missing this week: Burgoyne, McEvoy, Rioli, Birchall and now Silicy. A lot of talent missing.

If we weren't so crap I would give us a chance this week. :-\

I'm not getting sucked in again this week either!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67
I'm not getting sucked in again this week either!

Cookie......That's why I said if we weren't so crap  ;D

I gave us no chance the last 2 weeks as both those teams in the past even when we fielded stronger sides troubled us with leg speed. Hawks are older and definitely slower.

If and its a massive IF Kreuzer plays the full game and Murphy gets some form back I reckon Cripps and Fish will give our forwards mainly Charlie a lot of chances. Plus there is no Silicy intercepting too which is a big loss for them.

Not a massive fan of Mitchell yes he gets it heaps but don't think he hurts teams like Smith, Shiels and O'meara. Need to put work into them.

Oh and if the MC is serious and don't select Garlett or Polson our chances in this one increase further.      S

Still despite all this im not overly confident but reckon we are a better chance then previous weeks as we are getting these pr1cks at a good time. 

Reply #68
I didn't watch the game, according to Dimma they were hard done by, frees are about even not like playing in Perth!

The number of times the Tigers were tackled and play was allowed to go on despite either incorrect disposal or no effort to get rid of the ball, all with prior opportunity, was taggering.

Dusty, like other favourires eg Danger, Selwood, is given a remarkable amount of latitude.....at least the GWS lads, had worked out how to counter the Dusty fend off....take note CFC players.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
Dusty, like other favourires eg Danger, Selwood, is given a remarkable amount of latitude.....at least the GWS lads, had worked out how to counter the Dusty fend off....take note CFC players.

Please explain?

The commentary I have heard claims Dusty wasn't fit, is that just an excuse?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Please explain?

The commentary I have heard claims Dusty wasn't fit, is that just an excuse?

All I'm saying is that every time Dusty tried the fend off (usually directed to the throat), it didn't work - the GWS dudes were able to effect a tackle....

That said, Dusty  gets given a lot of time to dispose of the ball once tackled - much more than most players imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
All I'm saying is that every time Dusty tried the fend off (usually directed to the throat), it didn't work - the GWS dudes were able to effect a tackle....

That said, Dusty  gets given a lot of time to dispose of the ball once tackled - much more than most players imo.

If Dusty tried the throat fend off on me too many times I'd try hard to dislocate his elbow Fujitsu style, it's not too hard to do that at all!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Cookie......That's why I said if we weren't so crap  ;D

I gave us no chance the last 2 weeks as both those teams in the past even when we fielded stronger sides troubled us with leg speed. Hawks are older and definitely slower.

If and its a massive IF Kreuzer plays the full game and Murphy gets some form back I reckon Cripps and Fish will give our forwards mainly Charlie a lot of chances. Plus there is no Silicy intercepting too which is a big loss for them.

Not a massive fan of Mitchell yes he gets it heaps but don't think he hurts teams like Smith, Shiels and O'meara. Need to put work into them.

Oh and if the MC is serious and don't select Garlett or Polson our chances in this one increase further.      S

Still despite all this im not overly confident but reckon we are a better chance then previous weeks as we are getting these pr1cks at a good time.

Polson isnt a good player but he gives us effort, which is better than what the others get to.

Garlett has the ability, and if you watched him pr-game on saturday night, he was slotting them from everywhere.

I also don't think we have too many fit bodies to bring in, so I don't see the logic of dropping him when all you're going to end up with is Nick Graham.

I think at this point, all you can do is reward players showing workrate if not impact (Polson) and put games into blokes with ability (Garlett) and reward triers who are doing the right things they get dropped and call this a culture setting year.

Screw playing to win.  We need to play to set our footy club up.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #73
Polson isnt a good player but he gives us effort, which is better than what the others get to.

Garlett has the ability, and if you watched him pr-game on saturday night, he was slotting them from everywhere.

I also don't think we have too many fit bodies to bring in, so I don't see the logic of dropping him when all you're going to end up with is Nick Graham.

I think at this point, all you can do is reward players showing workrate if not impact (Polson) and put games into blokes with ability (Garlett) and reward triers who are doing the right things they get dropped and call this a culture setting year.

Screw playing to win.  We need to play to set our footy club up.

As brutal as it sounds, Polson shows all the signs of being a dud, yep he tries need to do a lot more then just try. I would try if i was asked to play AFL doesn't mean I should continue to play. He is no where near ready and i have no idea why his contract was extended so early. Gets it under 6 times a match and when he does he has no clue whatsoever.    

Garlett is less of a concern as he does at times show he has the tricks to be a player but is another that seems to not know what to do at all when he finally gets the pill which isn't much.

I'm all for playing kids but once they have had a decent chance which i believe both of these guys have considering the min output you get from them they need to play seconds until they are ready.

Cant keep playing 2 players down every week and then complain when we get pumped.   

Reply #74
Weren't we fined for playing Polson concussed just a couple of weeks back?

I think it would be a fair double standard to make excuses for say Levi or Kreuzer, as experienced senior AFL players, while hanging the newbie kid out to dry within the same time frame!
The Force Awakens!