Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2015 (Read 22512 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2015

Reply #30
Wawrinka vs Djokovic in the previous two finals before the big one, and they are both one win a piece. Both marathon 5 set matches. Should be an interesting one. I'm all for Djokovic, but anything can happen on the night. ;)

GIC, I too don't like Murray, but I have not seen him play better and return a serve as he has in this tournament. He is a threat, but if he gets to face Djokovic after beating Berdych he could choke on the big stage. Then again he could choke against Berdych. :)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #31
^^
As long as he chokes I'll be happy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
I reckon Murray will win this one.  He has managed to combine his raw tennis ability with an analytical approach to dismantling his opponent's game.

And I've got a soft spot for a Scottish accent  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
I reckon Murray will win this one.  He has managed to combine his raw tennis ability with an analytical approach to dismantling his opponent's game.

And I've got a soft spot for a Scottish accent  :)

I can't question his performing ability of late. I must give him credit for doing a sensational job recently. His head has been in the right place for sure. Will he fall back into old habbits and faults when he backed into a corner is the only question. His game against Kyrgios was almost without any fault at all. Great return of a big serve too, by the way. Something only the ultra elite can do in this modern game.

Reply #34
I don't understand this Australian Open in its structure of the fixture. Novak Djokovic was rated number one in the world if I am correct. He has played better than Andy Murray and Tomas Berdych who played each other tonight. Yes Murray won by a country mile in the end to go into the final in his draw. How does Djokovic get to play the day after this match ? If Djokovic wins, how does he get 24 hours less rest before the mens final when he is number one in the world ?

Especially considering Wawrinka and Djokovic have had marathon last finals games to progress to the ultimate final in the last 2 years. 4 hours plus and 5 hours plus games. 12-10 and 9-7 in the last set over the last 2 times they have met at the Aussie open. Correct me for fecking the numbers up, by the way, or get the orders incorrect.

If Wawrinka and Djokovic play a 4.5-5 hour match tomorrow night, Murray has to be favourite for the final, just based on recovery time. He had a match of only 3hr 25 minutes tonight and an extra day rest to recover. How does he earn the extra break being out of the top 3 in his ranking ???  I am a one eyed Novak fan, so my bias might be clouded by my passion for the best player in the tournament. After watching Murray slaughter Berdych tonight, and the extra breal time he has, I feel Novak or Stan will be in big trouble in the final and couldn't win this unless all the planets align for some strange reason in the next few days. ???   

Reply #35
Djokovic vs Murray in the end for an Aussie Open final. I will be backing my comrade 100%. Go Novak, but I won't be holding my breath. This is the best Andy Murray I have seen for many years. If it gets to a 5th set, I may breath easier, as I think Novak has had to slog out more 5 set marathons, than Andy and he doesn't make as many mistakes as a match progresses into a long match as Murray has against the elite players in the past. Go Nole....  ;) ;D

Reply #36
Djokovic vs Murray in the end for an Aussie Open final. I will be backing my comrade 100%. Go Novak, but I won't be holding my breath. This is the best Andy Murray I have seen for many years. If it gets to a 5th set, I may breath easier, as I think Novak has had to slog out more 5 set marathons, than Andy and he doesn't make as many mistakes as a match progresses into a long match as Murray has against the elite players in the past. Go Nole....  ;) ;D

The Djoker easy IMO.......Murray's foul mouth GF might have plenty of opportunity to give us some of her best work this match.... ;)

Reply #37
I reckon Murray is going to take this one.  I dislike him and like djokovic but the cracks in the joker's game against the stanimal.

He looked very out of sorts and Murray comes in with an extra days rest up his sleeve which will be huge.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38
I reckon Murray is going to take this one.  I dislike him and like djokovic but the cracks in the joker's game against the stanimal.

He looked very out of sorts and Murray comes in with an extra days rest up his sleeve which will be huge.

I agree that the extra day will have an influence on the final result. I don't think the cracks due to playing Stan are an issue. Stan is Federer version 2.0. He is faster than FedEx, more powerful than FedEx, and plays the same one handed backhand, and can create huge angles on his backhand strokes. Stan and Novak have history and Stan has bothered Novak over the last few years and they bring natural pressure into a game before it begins. They intimidate each other just the fact that they are on the same court at the same time. Besides Stan, Nadal is the only other animal that really worries Novak and his game focus.

Having spun all that rubbish, its a toss of the coin to pick a winner. Both are probably the best returns of a fast serve in tennis at the moment. Both have a good record on a first serve. Both have a reasonable percentage of first serves in in an entire match. Both have good second serves. Both have very good backhand strokes to produce winners. Both have enough power in the forehand to hit cross court shots and down the line winners. Both will at times hit soft drop shots and can play a serve volley game when required. Both deserve to take the final trophy if they are good enough. Both have played some of the best tennis they have in the last few years. I can't pick a winner and hope Novak wins.

Serena Williams winning her 19th title tonight is no real surprise. She is a beast comparing to other women and should be tested to see she really isn't 100% female. She is one powerful woman and makes Navratilova look like a petite princess in comparison. Watched he serve a 200km/hr down the "T" serve which blew me away. Which woman in tennis could return as serve at that rate of knots. :o

Reply #39
Who cares about this...aussies just won the asian cup  C:-)

Reply #40
Novak number one..... ;) ;D :D >:D :)) C:-) :P :)

Reply #41
I'm happy with that result.  had Murray reproduced the form he showed against Byrdich he would have had a better final, but gee he is a mental lightweight.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #42
I'm happy with that result.  had Murray reproduced the form he showed against Byrdich he would have had a better final, but gee he is a mental lightweight.

He is far more powerful in his ground strokes than he can imagine. He is one of the best returns of a first serve. He is more than capable in a serve and volley game. he is as strong a player from a physical sense. He just misses too many shots and lets his anger get the better of him, which is such a shame. He looses a game more than others win against him. In a small way I feel sorry for him, because his best game could beat any player in the system by a country mile.

Reply #43
I marvel at his ability and fitness but his misplaced aggression makes him painful to watch.  You wonder if Murray channelled all his energy into the game instead of carrying on like an utter prat after every shot he might actually maintain concentration a bit more  and win more of the clutch moments in matches.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #44
Novak has Murray covered IMO  and is the better player....Murrays second serve has nothing on it and its a bit similar to Sharapova who also struggles vs Serena and its the same reason IMO, her serve isnt as good especially her second serve which is just a free hit ...