Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb) (Read 36179 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb)

Reply #210
Jed gets a game ahead of SOJ on current form.

Does he? SOS (imo SOJ sounds ridiculous) played well when the ball was actually in his area last night. Not brilliant, but always put his body on the line, kicked a beauty, set up another with a great long kick and was pretty decent.
Remember the ball was in our forward 50 a grand total of 39 times

Lamb was good last night as well, but I didn't have a major issue with SOSs game.

Simmo on the other hand was bloody awful.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #211
Does he? SOS (imo SOJ sounds ridiculous) played well when the ball was actually in his area last night. Not brilliant, but always put his body on the line, kicked a beauty, set up another with a great long kick and was pretty decent.

Lamb was good last night as well, but I didn't have a major issue with SOSs game.

I reckon SOJ (sorry MIO :) ) worked his butt off and I was quite surprised to see him make up ground on some Hawthorn runners.  He must have had a good running coach in the off season.

I really can’t see how Lamb and SOJ could be competing for a spot in the 22.  Lamb is a small forward and he would be competing for a spot with Samo, Pickett, Fisher, Garlett and Wright (who had a shocker last night).  SOJ is 10cm taller than Lamb and plays the medium forward/third tall role ... very well, particularly with his defensive work.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #212
Kennedy allows Cripps to play forward which is going to win us some games....Fisher too has picked up some of the slack from Gibbs...reckon Gibbs did us a favour going and we
will be much better for it as more players run through the middle....you add Samo and Dow and its a better mix.
Murphy's role has also been reduced and the old way of doing things in the midfield and relying on him and Gibbs plus Cripps only is over, we can be more attacking and only need
the one tagger in Ed Curnow...
Top assessment EB
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #213
Another tick from me - depth of F50 entries. At the point when we had 9 goals on the board, 4 of those goals were from entries that ended up about 15m from goal. Our F50 entries have been poor and too shallow for ages, one of my big gripes. Hopefully this is now being addressed.
It was pleasing to hear Dunstall at one stage say "Carlton look like scoring every time the go inside 50" about us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #214
It was pleasing to hear Dunstall at one stage say "Carlton look like scoring every time the go inside 50" about us.

Really ? - that's good to hear, and hopefully a portent of things to come. In recent times, the only thing that looks likely to happen when the ball get there is that it comes straight back out.

Reply #215

As was Wright but he gets slack as he's a proven performer.

End of the day there are only a few 'free' spots.....i still say SOS (for your benefit) is competing with the likes of Pickett, Garlett etc

Or he takes big Harry's spot...

6 forward spots only.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #216
I don't want to take the shine off the preseason as it has to be great for our membership drive and just for the morale in general, however there are a few things that have come out of the JLT that we really must address.

We have to be much tighter from the very beginning in the middle and most important of all...
We MUST work out a better strategy out of defense, particularly from kick ins. In both the last 2 games we were kicking to packs just to see it come flying back in, we must do better than that. I would be interested to see the differently on how many times we got the ball even over halfway from kick ins compared to how often the ball went straight back into the hawks 50.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #217
Really ? - that's good to hear, and hopefully a portent of things to come. In recent times, the only thing that looks likely to happen when the ball get there is that it comes straight back out.
There appeared to be a concerted effort to lock it in when it got I50. Made me think back to the 3 Amigos/Fev days...sigh. If  we can get back to that sort of pressure, we will be in business.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #218

There is no spot for McKay if Casboult and Kreuzer are fit.

At this stage I think SoJ is ahead of McKay, but only just, he gets it on work rate but he needs to have far more influence. SoJ needs to get a result for his efforts or his efforts are wasted.

If Kreuzer isn't fit I think Lobbe probably comes in cold, and McKay is still on the outer.

A lot of talk about McKay, but 4 marks in two JLT games won't get a 200cm forward a game in the big time, especially after a zero mark game!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #219
As was Wright but he gets slack as he's a proven performer.

End of the day there are only a few 'free' spots.....i still say SOS (for your benefit) is competing with the likes of Pickett, Garlett etc

6 forward spots only.

Why do you say that when SOJ is not a small forward?  We are light on when it comes to medium/third tall forwards and SOJ doesn't really have much competition for his spot. 

Based on JLT form, our best forward set up would be:

Silvagni   Curnow     Wright
Pickett     Casboult   Someone else

Lamb would be part of the forward line rotation.

Hopefully, McKay will improve enough to take Someone else's spot.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #220
Our tall forwards haven't really fired a shot so far, Casboult played well but as a ruck option. Probably the most effective tall forward has been Cripps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #221
Watching the reply I'm impressed with Bam Bam. He goes in hard and had some strong repeat efforts. He also copped a sneaky high hit from Burgoyne (1.11) q2. I have great respect for him, but that was a lowly shot. Knocked young Matty off his feet good n proper. Perhaps 9 is the new 15 sniper :-\

Great game Bam Bam
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #222
Watching the reply I'm impressed with Bam Bam. He goes in and had some strong repeat efforts. He also copped a sneaky high hit from Burgoyne (1.11) q2. I have great respect for him, but that was a lowly shot. Knocked young Matty off his feet good n proper. Perhaps 9 is the new 15 sniper :-\

Great game Bam Bam

Spot on about Kennedy.  Bam Bam is a perfect nickname for him.  He goes in hard.  He might not get as many cheap kicks as Gibbs, but when the contested ball is there to be won I know who I'd rather have.  He just smashes in, and takes a few down with him.  Even if he doesn't always get a possie, the fewer times the opposition can waltz out of a contest unopposed the better our team will go. 

P.S. not taking a pot shot at Gibbs, I reckon he's a very smart player, he's just not an animal around the ball.  I still remember a game a few years ago against Adelaide, and at every stoppage Rory Sloane practically threw himself at every ball, and Gibbs stood waiting on the edge for a crumb.  Sloane wasn't so highly rated back then, but I think he was on the verge of becoming a gun.  I could see that was the type of player I wished we had.  Now with Cripper & Bam Bam we have some toughness around the ball, and I think Dow will become a Sloane type player once he gets fitter and stronger.  We've got plenty of crumbers and outside players to replace the outside play side of Gibbs' game, such as Fisher (who is fast becoming my favourite mozzie),  Murph (who just cruised a little in the JLT, and fair enough for a bloke in his umpteenth season - although not exactly what we might have wanted from the captain of a team that was desperate to win both JLT games), and with a little bit of luck it'd be nice to see O'Brien become a player (he's a better runner, and a better kick than Gibbs, but he obviously has a long way to go to earn the number 4 on his back).  And then there's Garlett too. 

If you listen to the comments of SOS & Bolts, the plan was never to replace Gibbs like for like, it was to spread his value across a deeper midfield, and Bam Bam is one of those key components. From what I've seen so far, he's a bit of an animal, and I like that.

Reply #223
Yes Kennedy was impressive - he's got "TOUGH" written all over his face in capitals.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #224
If your statement is true, then something changed from 2011 to 2013-14, because in 2011 the Pies lost 2 games, kicked nearly 2600 points for, and a 167.66%. That's off the charts, and shows he wasn't all defence. I loved watching the Pies that season. Credit where it's due.

Yet after 2010 they didn't win a flag, and Malthouse got the kibosh in 2012!

Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Dale Thomas, Luke Ball, Dayne Beams, Travis Cloke, Heath Shaw, Leon Davis, Steele Sidebottom were all at the top of their game, supported by Didak, Brown, Krakour and Jolly. It wasn't a bad list!

They probably should have won 2011 and 2012 as well, it not unreasonable to think the ridiculously heavy workload game plan was the reason they didn't!
The Force Awakens!