Skip to main content
Topic: Is Psychological help the answer ? (Read 39640 times) previous topic - next topic

Is Psychological help the answer ?

Everybody, coach included knows how mentally weak our players are.
Would anybody know if they are accessing psychological help to assist them with this.
Reason I'm asking, is that I saw a recent interview where Liverpool player Jordan Henderson spoke about how he and some other Reds players started seeing a sports psych late last year when the Reds were struggling, and the Club hasn't looked back since.
For those not into the World Game, Liverpool has risen from 7th last year, to now being on the cusp of their first Championship in 24 years, with many players in the best form of their careers.

Re: Is Psychological help the answer ?

Reply #1
Club definitely has access to these services, not sure if Mick will use it  :P

Reply #2
Wasn't this one aspect of David Buttifant's strengths?

Needless to say, we are clearly struggling with something, and from the outside looking in, I would say its all got to do with how the boys receive criticism.  Most of it would be constructive, but it can be hard to take if you havent heard it previously.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
I think they are struggling with the realisation that they are just not as good as they thought they were. This means that it's just not going to fall into their laps, rather they have got to work their ar$ses off to just be competitive.

They'll either embrace that realisation and do the work or roll over and give up - not clear which atm.  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
I think they all worked pretty hard a few years back, they know what's required.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
I think they all worked pretty hard a few years back, they know what's required.
Well at least that's a start. Let's just hope they do it now.

Reply #6
Well MM has talked about freeing them up and letting them attack attack this week. At least he's taken some of the criticism on board and is trying something different.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
Well MM has talked about freeing them up and letting them attack attack this week. At least he's taken some of the criticism on board and is trying something different.

He has indeed, can't wait to see how the boys respond now.

Reply #8
Psychological help can mean many different things.

From the outside looking in it would seem that the club is maintaining a 'positive' environment for the players. At this stage you would think that that is about all that is needed.

Time will tell if we need to wheel in sports' psychologists to address any issues. And then you've gotta make sure you get one who really knows what he or she is doing... and there's a can of worms right there.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9

A few years ago they worked hard - running one way. We were called flat track bullies then and that was before this year. They never ran both ways under Ratten, that was the whole bloody problem. Looked like superstars until Hawthorn or any top 4 side put the screws on us and we folded time and time again. There are good reasons why Ratten was never going to take us to a premiership. With that game style and this list. Maybe he got as much as anyone could out of the group. They were Kevin Keegan's Newcastle..don't worry about defence lads, we'll outscore them. History will tell you what happened.

Either way, we know they need to front up on Sunday or you and I, as well as everyone remotely blue will go bloody beserk if we loose badly. Safe to say that heads will roll if we get belted.
Keep the Faith

Reply #10
See that's just so wrong. Conceded on average 75 points per game in 2011 and the side clearly ran both ways when up and running. Teams that don't work both ways don't win finals by 13 goals and unluckily lose a semi final by less than a kick.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
I think parkin and the club had one in '95
worked wonders and was cutting edge

Reply #12
See that's just so wrong. Conceded on average 75 points per game in 2011 and the side clearly ran both ways when up and running. Teams that don't work both ways don't win finals by 13 goals and unluckily lose a semi final by less than a kick.

Did not beat a side in the Top 4 in Ratten's Glory Year of 2011.

Reply #13

Did not beat a side in the Top 4 in Ratten's Glory Year of 2011.

There you have it. And never looked like it. And still don't. List - ordinary. Not bad, just ordinary.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
Never looked like it pffft. Should have played in a prelim, I think if we go back and visit that after game thread everyone was of the same opinion, we were robbed. We played WCE in West Coast with no Kreuzer, Gibbs and Waite. Lost T-Bird in the second quarter. Umpires destroyed us. West Coast were a top four side.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!