Skip to main content
Topic: Blues v GWS - Round 14 - Pre Game thread (Read 26807 times) previous topic - next topic

Blues v GWS - Round 14 - Pre Game thread

Sunday June 22 1.10pm
Spotless Stadium

Re: Blues v GWS - Round 14 - Pre Game thread

Reply #1
Ground dimensions

Etihad 159.5 x 128.8m

Spotless Stadium 164 x 127.5m

We should be able to maintain the strangle for longer. Should win.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2
Will be in a bit of trouble with Patton and Cameron up forward if Jamo cant make it.
Watson, I think, is no longer an option down there,. as he's just been plain embarrassing in his two AFL games this year.

Reply #3
Going to be tough...GWS have plenty of talent onball and up forward but are more light on down back.......hopefully we can play 4 quarters this week and sneak home by a couple of goals...

Reply #4
Thought Rowe was superb v Roughead and the Hawks. Took contested marks (3) and also many hard tough spoils. Easily one of our best and I am rapt for the bloke. Has a way to go but he is one bloke on our list, moreso in our senior lineup, that I can say has made significant strides forward and as a key defender too! He'll take a Cameron or Patton. Reckon if he has Patton he'll own him. Cameron is a tough one but if he's getting his marks and kicks further afield I'm happy with that.

Reply #5
Thought Rowe was superb v Roughead and the Hawks. Took contested marks (3) and also many hard tough spoils. Easily one of our best and I am rapt for the bloke. Has a way to go but he is one bloke on our list, moreso in our senior lineup, that I can say has made significant strides forward and as a key defender too! He'll take a Cameron or Patton. Reckon if he has Patton he'll own him. Cameron is a tough one but if he's getting his marks and kicks further afield I'm happy with that.

Yeah thought he did ok  also, although  the week before was taken to task by Hawkins.
What I like about his game, is that the Mick Martyn type panic bombing out of defence seems to  have erased from his game.

Reply #6
Blues by 4 goals....um....GWs by 2 goals.....um.............

Reply #7

Funny how not that long ago we were calling for his head to be rolled. I too think he played fantastic and I think, after a few more weeks he will have cemented his spot as an integral part of our backline.
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.

Reply #8
Thought Rowe was superb v Roughead and the Hawks.

Roughead kicked 3.3 and had 14 or 15 touches, if it had been 5.1 we'd be singing a different tune.
I thought Rowe went OK but superb is not a word I would have used.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #9
We will win easily. Did anybody read about the fuss the GWS players made because their 3AM pizzas were delayed at their hotel? They have big heads. Reminds me of a team I used to know in the late naughties. ::)

Reply #10
Will be in a bit of trouble with Patton and Cameron up forward if Jamo cant make it.
Watson, I think, is no longer an option down there,. as he's just been plain embarrassing in his two AFL games this year.

Bit harsh writing Watson off on his 2 games this year. He was showing some really good signs at the end of last year before he got injured. He seems like a bit of a confidence player, as soon as he'd made a couple of mistakes on Friday night, he lost the plot. I'd like to see us give him a run of a few weeks, see if he can find some form.

Reply #11

Bit harsh writing Watson off on his 2 games this year. He was showing some really good signs at the end of last year before he got injured. He seems like a bit of a confidence player, as soon as he'd made a couple of mistakes on Friday night, he lost the plot. I'd like to see us give him a run of a few weeks, see if he can find some form.

I gave him up after one game.......probably  the worst game I have seen from a defender......Sam Stosur  doesnt commit as many unforced errors as Watto...
A lot of posters didnt go hard on him because there was some sadness in seeing the kid struggle and look so inept, I just dont see him being able to rebound after such a poor game.
Be a brave coach to play him this week, although the odds are he couldnt play any worse....

Reply #12

I gave him up after one game.......probably  the worst game I have seen from a defender......Sam Stosur  doesnt commit as many unforced errors as Watto...
A lot of posters didnt go hard on him because there was some sadness in seeing the kid struggle and look so inept, I just dont see him being able to rebound after such a poor game.
Be a brave coach to play him this week, although the odds are he couldnt play any worse....

If we wrote off all of our players after 1 or 2 bad games well hell, we wouldn't have a starting 22. I think Mick needs to give him the same chance he's given other duds in the list. I mean he persevered with Lucas a long time before he was no longer a regular in the team. Tuohy has barely played a good game all year. It took Rowe a while to warm up this season.

I know Watson is a handy whipping boy, but at the end of the day he's played about 10 AFL games. Give the kid a run until the end of the season so at least we know whether to keep him on for the last year of his contract. At this stage we've got nothing to lose. Personally I still think he could turn into something.

Reply #13
I know Watson is a handy whipping boy, but at the end of the day he's played about 10 AFL games. Give the kid a run until the end of the season so at least we know whether to keep him on for the last year of his contract. At this stage we've got nothing to lose. Personally I still think he could turn into something.

I don't know what gives you that idea.
I've never seen him play a decent senior game, at his best he's been passable, and the few times I've seen him in the VFL he's been unimpressive as well.
Some times ability as a junior just doesn't translate to senior football and I think Watson is a case in point, some tennis players win Wimbledon juniors and are never heard of again.
If Jamison and Henderson both miss again he'll probably get another go but if either of them are available he'll be back in the VFL.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #14
Heartfelt and decent sentiments Maven, but this bloke's track record at the Northern Blues is very poor and does not auger well for a career at senior level. 

The only way Watson will get a gig in defence is if we can find a suitable match up... and I don't see one right now.  Up forward (where BTW he has spent very little time at Northern, so he is clearly not being developed with this in mind) as some have suggested but I remain sceptical.

I'm sorry but I don't ascribe to the theory of blokes doing better at the higher level(s) as the quality of delivery is better etc.... if they aren't a decent player at subsidiary levels then it is very unlikely that they will be a dominant player at an even higher level.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?