Skip to main content
Topic: 2015 - Is This It For Matthew Watson ?? (Read 16939 times) previous topic - next topic

2015 - Is This It For Matthew Watson ??

Debuted in 2011, has only managed 19 games during this time and is the only player remaining on our list from the 2010 draft.

Big booming kick, big frame (& head) but appears to lack confidence and self-belief.

The question is, what does 2015 hold for Matty Watson ??

With Jones & Jaksch coming to the club, what position is there for him to make his own ??

Is this really going to be a 'boom or bust' season for him ??

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: 2015 - Is This It For Mathew Watson ??

Reply #1
It will be the same thing as always. Plays crap seconds football and robs himself of the chance to play seniors where he has shown he could possibly cut the mustard.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
Give him the first couple of games in the role he played in the last game and see how he goes.
Let the new guys take it off him.

Reply #4
Don't disagree with you there Lods but is Malthouse really going to leave Jones out of the team to fit Watson in ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #5
It will be the same thing as always. Plays crap seconds football and robs himself of the chance to play seniors where he has shown he could possibly cut the mustard.

Is it that he plays crap seconds footy or that he just does nothing to stand out in the seconds? He doesn't dominate when he plays at that level, he just pretty much serves up the same standard of performance as he does in the ones. In the seconds, that isn't good enough because good players are expected to dominate but in the ones, it's okay because it's serviceable.

Maybe he's just a guy that literally only has one gear and will dish up the same performance playing at AFL level as he would playing in the EFL 4th division? :P
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #6
Don't disagree with you there Lods but is Malthouse really going to leave Jones out of the team to fit Watson in ??

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=4&pid1=3597&tid2=4&pid2=3138&type=A&fid1=C&fid2=C

We're not talking chalk and cheese...they're pretty much of a muchness at this stage.
I think back to Malthouse's comments regarding Watson in that last game.
He was full of praise and basically was saying things like one of Matthew's biggest problems is his own self-belief.

I think he'd probably see him as a bit of a challenge and persevere with him in that role...at least short term.

Reply #7
Watsons last game against essendon was his best
if he does not make a significant improvement by end of 2015 he will be traded

Reply #8
Watsons last game against essendon was his best
if he does not make a significant improvement by end of 2015 he will be traded

The club will announce that he will be delisted if he's not traded, there will be little interest from other clubs, he will be delisted and then signed up by someone as a de-listed free agent. He will then go on to be a champion of that club!  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
He is no good down back and with Jaksch in and the club having to justify taking the latter and trading pick 7 I can see Watson only poistion as down forward....problem being with Jones, Casboult and Henderson ahead of him IMO he will be struggling for senior game time if we dont get injuries..

Given all that I reckon he will be trade material in 2015 and probably get some games at the end of the year to fatten up his trade price....

Reply #10
He is no good down back and with Jaksch in and the club having to justify taking the latter and trading pick 7 I can see Watson only poistion as down forward....problem being with Jones, Casboult and Henderson ahead of him IMO he will be struggling for senior game time if we dont get injuries..

Given all that I reckon he will be trade material in 2015 and probably get some games at the end of the year to fatten up his trade price....

Completely agree with most of that, however there's still a fair bit of value in Matthew Watson as a depth player given he can play both ends of the ground and do it quite well. We are Carlton, there is no way in hell we make it through a whole season without suffering significant injuries to key position players. Every year we seem to end up playing bunches of games where guys Simon White's size end up having to hold down key position spots.

Having a Matthew Watson who can slot in at either end is invaluable cover, I'd suggest he'll end up playing 10-15 games simply as a result of that. If he fires and cements his spot during those games then I'll be thrilled and I'm sure everyone else will be too. He's a big lump of a kid with a truly outstanding hoof on him. We haven't had a key forward capable of kicking the goals Watson would be capable of since Fev.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #11
Watto is probably a bit like Meat... a confidence player, perhaps even Rowey.

If MM and his assistants can raise the confidence level of Meat and Rowey like they did, then you'd want to give Watto a good few senior gigs in a row to see if this cat can not only cut the mustard but continue to improve. BUT... Meat always had a great pair of hands and could do useful ruck stuff around the ground at seconds level. Rowe always showed he could hold down a key position but opportunity and knacker cancer robbed him of the opportunity to develop any continuity.

Then there's the issue of speed over the grass. Meat and Rowey have always been very good for tall blokes at getting quickly over the paddock. Watto? Maybe he'll grow some more legs over summer and really tear it up next year?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: 2015 - Is This It For Matthew Watson ??

Reply #12
I reckon Watson is a better option as a forward; he just doesn't seem to have the anticipation and reflexes to shut down an opponent.  As a forward, he has more say in where the ball will be headed.  That's not to say that he won't develop as a defender by playing as a forward.

Based on his form at the end of the season, he and Jones would have to be neck and neck as far as selection goes. Watson probably has a slight edge because he can play as a defender if necessary, and Malthouse prefers versatile players.  It will be interesting to watch both of them in the pre-season as at least one career may be hanging on cementing a spot in the 22.

I think that it's good that we have two players competing for a spot, not that I'm convinced that either of them will be entirely successful.  Hopefully my doubts will be disproved and at least one of them will go on to have a long and productive career with us.

If Watson can't cement a spot in the 22, his career with us will be over and he may not attract much attention from other clubs.  Perhaps a club with a greater focus on development will give him a chance but I can't see a huge trade dividend for us.

Of course, if Watson does become a regular forward, what will that mean for Jones?  I don't think he will displace Casboult as he isn't a competent back up ruckman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
i  think watson has to line at FF rd1 give him first opportunity and let our new guys work hard to prove why they should be chosen.

Reply #14
I don't get the fev <-> watto comparisons. Apart from the girth of their heads that is where the similarities start and end.

I would love him to make it but just don't see a position for him....happy to be proven wrong