Skip to main content
Topic: Onfield Leaders - Do We Have Them Now ??  (Read 6469 times) previous topic - next topic

Onfield Leaders - Do We Have Them Now ??

We have delisted or lost players via FA who may have had some hand in the leadership stakes and with an all-new & revamped list, one with a lot of younger guys, I'm somewhat concerned about the quality & depth of leadership we have at the club right now.

I'm not a fan at all of this invogue "leadership group" concept, in fact I think it's a complete & utter wank. I prefer three people in that group - captain, vice-captain & deputy vice-captain.

With Judd entering his last season of footy and having passed on the captaincy to Marc Murphy, where is our leadership going to come from in the future ?? 
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Onfield Leaders - Do We Have Them Now ??

Reply #1
Bryce Gibbs and Henderson are probably the next tier of leaders at the club.

Beyond that Daisy Thomas, but he is an elder statesman himself, but if you were to have a "group" Thomas would be part of it, along with the aforementioned.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Our leaders, aged 24-27, are hardly old at this stage so we should be concentrating on solidifying their skills in this area. Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson, Thomas are those leaders.

When we draft now, we should be looking for leadership qualities in the people we bring in so that we can create the next generation coming through.

That is where the gaps lay.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #5
Scotland as well.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #6
Henderson should be the Captain now IMO

We have too many quiet introverted types- Gibbs Murphy and Kruezer

Its a real problem

Reply #7
We have delisted or lost players via FA who may have had some hand in the leadership stakes and with an all-new & revamped list, one with a lot of younger guys, I'm somewhat concerned about the quality & depth of leadership we have at the club right now.

I'm not a fan at all of this invogue "leadership group" concept, in fact I think it's a complete & utter wank. I prefer three people in that group - captain, vice-captain & deputy vice-captain.

With Judd entering his last season of footy and having passed on the captaincy to Marc Murphy, where is our leadership going to come from in the future ??
last year we drafted Cri[[s, Holeman and Giles. They were all Captains of their Clubs at U18's (pretty sure thats correct). If so, there has to be some leadership material amongst that lot.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8

Its a real problem
Have you ever spoken to/met Hendo? He makes Murph look like Fev.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #9
IMO there is NO WAY that Murph will not captain the club in 2015, end of story.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10

Its a real problem

No .
I prefer bigger blokes as captains. ...

Reply #11

Its a real problem

No .
I prefer leaders, whether they are 200cm or 150cm is of no consequence to me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #12

Its a real problem

No .

Can't just give it to him because he's big... Needs a go at the leadership group for a bit at least.

Reply #13

last year we drafted Cri[[s, Holeman and Giles. They were all Captains of their Clubs at U18's (pretty sure thats correct). If so, there has to be some leadership material amongst that lot.

If that's the case, then that's great news. It shows the club recognises the need for young leaders to come through and compliment our current crew.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #14
We have delisted or lost players via FA who may have had some hand in the leadership stakes

Who?

McLean & Waite.

McLean? Yes... showed it in our last game against cheats.com.au  Waite? Nuh. Never was and never will be a leader.

McLean and Scotland are the only two on-field leaders we have lost this year.

Natural progression will see some blokes continue to improve their leadership skills and some emerge.

I would expect sustained leadership from Juddy, Simmo, Jammo and Carrots.

I would expect further (and exciting) leadership improvement from Murphy, Gibbs, Henderson, Menzel, Yazz and Daisy.

I would expect / hope to see the emergence of leadership in blokes such as Everitt, Graham, Rowe and Docherty.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17