Skip to main content
Topic: Cahill best 'Australian' footballer ever? (Read 15448 times) previous topic - next topic

Cahill best 'Australian' footballer ever?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/tim-cahill-is-the-greatest-contributor-to-any-australian-football-code-robbie-slater-says/story-fnp0lxay-1227195703870

There's a bit of ambiguity about the story.
The online headline calls him the greatest 'contributor' to their code and there's no doubt he has given a boost to the profile of "international" football in recent times. You could probably mount an argument for that claim.

But the greatest "Australian" footballer ever.
That's how the headline appeared in the printed addition.
 "Tim beats AFL & NRL best" was how it read...

RUGBY league has its eight Immortals, the AFL has the two Gary Abletts, Wayne Carey, Buddy Franklin and Leigh Matthews, rugby union has David Campese, John Eales and Israel Folau.

They are all great champions of their respective sports.

For me, though, none of them would tie up Tim Cahill’s bootlaces as Australia’s greatest-ever footballer.

The online poll in the story also loses a bit of credibility by omitting Ablett senior....and the greatest "Australian" footballer ever doesn't even get a mention? ;D ;)

Who's your pick?

Re: Cahill best 'Australian' footballer ever?

Reply #1
I think Cahill is probably now Australia's best representative in terms of the Socceroos and his achievements but personally I think Viduka was a better player. Viduka could never really get it done for the Socceroos however but he as a class above in terms of Club football. As for best footballer ever, no.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
I think Cahill is probably now Australia's best representative in terms of the Socceroos and his achievements but personally I think Viduka was a better player. Viduka could never really get it done for the Socceroos however but he as a class above in terms of Club football. As for best footballer ever, no.
Its funny you mention Viduka. When I was watching the first game where they won 4-1 I think? I thought to myself at the time imagine Viduka playing his number 9 role that night, he would have scored 4 or 5 on his own. He was special the old Viduks.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
^^

Easily our best soccer player IMO. And yes, we never got to beat up on the easier Asian sides when he was around.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
I see where he is coming from in the article but its a stupid argument. like comparing apples and oranges. Gary Ablett, Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey weren't able to match it with the best in the world because our game doesn't reach that far. Can you even compare how good Gary Ablett Jnr is an AFL player to how good Cristiano Ronaldo is a soccer player.

Reply #5
You can in the way that they are both the best at what they do but once you get by them I agree how do you compare?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
Ablett jr is the best in the world at his sport, Cahill is a very good soccer player but not in that class.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
Best Aussie player for you MBB?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Best sportsman since Don Bradman.

Reply #9
Tim Cahill is the best soccer player to represent Australia IMO......Craig Johnston has been the best Australian soccer player for me given his record at Liverpool...was part of a successful Liverpool team that won a lot of silver in the 80's and he just pips Cahill for me....
Cahill has always done well for his country and placed high regard on wearing the yellow and I admire him for that....his games/goals record etc is probably better than Johnston but I think the latter was part of a team that was way more successful than any Cahill played in so I placed importance on his contribution to Liverpools success in the 80's..

I would have had Mark Schwarzer as my third best player given his longtime in the EPL.......
Mark Viduka...talented but always gave me the impression he had more to give but didnt exert himself to the max and get the best from
his talent and that his attiude at times wasnt right...

Reply #11
Those comments are so stupid it's not funny. Slater has no idea what he is talking about half the time. Cahill isn't even in the best 2-3 socceroos of all time let alone whatever he is suggesting.

Craig Johnston is before my time, but Kewell and Viduka at their peak walk all over Cahill every day of the week. Cahill while having a great record and I'll credit with being able to step up for crunch goals, is no where near the likes of Viduks or Harry. He has made a career on having a good vertical leap and he has benfited from this particularly for Australia against Asian teams.

Anyone I know that knows anything about football agrees, he has also benefited from being the best player post our golden generation hence his over inflated status. Kewell is the best player we have ever seen pull on a socceroo top. End of story really imo.

Reply #13
re: Kewell...overated and overhyped IMO........probably more technically gifted than Cahill but I know who I would pick first in my team and it
wouldnt be Harry..

Reply #14
re: Kewell...overated and overhyped IMO........probably more technically gifted than Cahill but I know who I would pick first in my team and it
wouldnt be Harry..

Agree totally. He played some great games for Leeds from memory, went to Liverpool, had injuries and never played well again. Overhyped in the extreme..he was never one of the elite in the premiership..he was "pretty good". Compared to someone like, hell say, David Ginola...pack your bags and go home. Ginola did more at Newcastle that Kewell ever did at Liverpool.

Cahill will be better remembered.
Keep the Faith