Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 6: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs. Essendon (Read 54666 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 6: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs. Essendon

Sunday May 1st at 1520 at the MCG. It is our home game.
Some wags out there have claimed that this game is the 'GF' for us and the Drug Cheats. I find that unlikely, as there are some ordinary teams out there. However, I hope to see a LOT of Carlton supporters at this game. I really want to give it to the Drug Cheats.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 6: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs. Essendon

Reply #1
Now we have our 1st win, this game is no longer quite what the pundits thought it would be.
I guess it will also depend on how the Drug Cheats go against Collingwood tomorrow.
However, if we can produce an effort like that (with perhaps, a bit more skill), I am a LOT more confident about winning 2 in a row.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I reckon it's On Like Donkey Kong tomorrow and they will beat the crap out of each other for a win on the day.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I reckon it's On Like Donkey Kong tomorrow and they will beat the crap out of each other for a win on the day.
We can hope. :) Only problem is that I don't think either team remembers how to do it at the moment. But who knows?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Hopefully today they both go hell for leather and are too stuffed to give a $h1t about next week. Chalk up another win for us.

Reply #5
Hopefully today they both go hell for leather and are too stuffed to give a $h1t about next week. Chalk up another win for us.

The extra day's rest should hopefully help us against the Essendon Football Retirees Club.

Reply #6
We have a few guys still not getting much of the ball, no matter how improved our work rate all over the ground has been. Therefore I am pretty certain that Armfield will get a game. His raw pace will be very useful.
Bolts appears to be a guy who likes to reward emergencies, especially as they can often have no chance of showing their wares. That makes me wonder if Simon White will be in the mix. I think it more likely that he will play in the VFL this week: his maturity and strength are probably the difference between winning and losing at that level.
Tutt must also be not too far away, as he is getting leather poisoning at VFL level.

Jamison probably won't get a game our defence stood up very well against a team with premiership aspirations.  (Doesn't matter that this is unrealistic at this point, but Freo thought they were good enough.) Nor was his form impressive enough to be a reasonable inclusion.
Similarly I can't see Kristian Jaksch getting a game. Our forward structure is still in need of improvement, but importing Jaksch would require the export of Jones or Casboult or a ruckman. I can't see that happening yet.

At the moment, Buckley and Tuohy appear most likely to make way, with neither having been getting a lot of the ball in recent times. Buckley's role looks more expendable at the moment, as Tuohy has been defending reasonably.
I've said this a number of times, but I would like to see Tuohy play a little further up field with an attacking role - say, on the wing. His strength and good disposal would be more beneficial and he would be able to get into the play more.
Similarly, I think Buckley plays better in defence: his concentration is better and he loves to run off his man and drive the ball forward.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
I'll be looking especially for Jones to build on his work on Sunday and hopefully to working in an effective partnership with Levi. Add in young Charlie C, who does impress me, and hopefully our forward structure can start to be more effective.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
What's happened to Walks?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #9
We have a few guys still not getting much of the ball, no matter how improved our work rate all over the ground has been. Therefore I am pretty certain that Armfield will get a game. His raw pace will be very useful.
Bolts appears to be a guy who likes to reward emergencies, especially as they can often have no chance of showing their wares. That makes me wonder if Simon White will be in the mix. I think it more likely that he will play in the VFL this week: his maturity and strength are probably the difference between winning and losing at that level.
Tutt must also be not too far away, as he is getting leather poisoning at VFL level.

Jamison probably won't get a game our defence stood up very well against a team with premiership aspirations.  (Doesn't matter that this is unrealistic at this point, but Freo thought they were good enough.) Nor was his form impressive enough to be a reasonable inclusion.
Similarly I can't see Kristian Jaksch getting a game. Our forward structure is still in need of improvement, but importing Jaksch would require the export of Jones or Casboult or a ruckman. I can't see that happening yet.

At the moment, Buckley and Tuohy appear most likely to make way, with neither having been getting a lot of the ball in recent times. Buckley's role looks more expendable at the moment, as Tuohy has been defending reasonably.
I've said this a number of times, but I would like to see Tuohy play a little further up field with an attacking role - say, on the wing. His strength and good disposal would be more beneficial and he would be able to get into the play more.
Similarly, I think Buckley plays better in defence: his concentration is better and he loves to run off his man and drive the ball forward.

Maybe Touhy is adding something to Byrne's game with some guidance but his own game as been ordinary this season IMO and he is lucky to be in the team and is using some of those runs in the bank he has built up early in his career.

Couple of Essendon players who worry us are Daniher, Goddard and Zaharakis......the former is their main avenue to goal and has been playing well.....too big for Plowman, probably ditto for Weitering although our bloke is  a smart young player with that happy knack of being able to get the spoil in and then there is Rowe who beat the Pav yesterday but who worries me vs the younger quicker kids...
Goddard is interesting..he drifts forward to kick goals and also hangs around half back to take intercept marks and pick up cheap kicks but I dont see him at the coalface very often but he is destructive when he gets the ball and we cant have him racking up 25 possies and kicking 2-3 goals.
Zaharakis goes under the radar but can win games with goals at crucial times and I am sick of seeing him in their best players with a few goals against his name when they play us..

Kruezer needs a big game vs Luenberger who has lifted at his new club.....I have been on MK's back but I thought he started well vs Freo but seemed to drift out of the game.....Philips also did some good things and was handy in the ruck...

Reply #11
What's happened to Walks?

Injured/Redundant...C.Curnow has taken his place and as KC and the Sunshine band said.." thats the way I like it"...

Reply #12
Changes

Jaksch in/one ruckman out.

Casboult into the ruck where he can use his strength, his marking, to the advantage of the side. Much better than him kicking at goal..lol.

Reply #13
Injured/Redundant...C.Curnow has taken his place and as KC and the Sunshine band said.." that the way I like it"...

Yep tend to agree, the end could be coming thick and fast for Walks unfortunately. Really no point in him getting games ahead of Lamb, Sumner and especially CC. SOS to get the no.1 jumper next year  ;) ;D

Reply #14
I think there are quite a few blokes who would still be well behind a fit 1AW in the pecking order, age or youth is irrelevant.
The Force Awakens!