Skip to main content
Topic: Women's League (Read 31701 times) previous topic - next topic

Women's League

I don't know much about the Women's footy leagues.

But I would think given Carlton is applying for a team we should have a dedicated Notice Board setup for the discussion of the girls league, recruiting, coaches and performance.

If we don't get the nod for a team we can always shut it down later. But I think we at least need a notice board to keep up with discussions and potential recruits/draftees.

Women of Carlton anyone?
The Force Awakens!

Re: Women's League

Reply #1
Yeah I think thats reasonable.

Up to the admins though.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Ask and you shall receive, the Ladies Lounge is now open

Reply #3
Can we invite someone at the Club to kick start it with a post, would they contribute to fill in the rest of us plebs?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Can we invite someone at the Club to kick start it with a post, would they contribute to fill in the rest of us plebs?
If only Chachi17 played for the Blues instead of the WB's, she would provide much insight.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
If only Chachi17 played for the Blues instead of the WB's, she would provide much insight.

We'll you never know, if the Bulldogs have a team do they get to stick at the Bulldogs or do all players have to enter the draft?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
We'll you never know, if the Bulldogs have a team do they get to stick at the Bulldogs or do all players have to enter the draft?

Beside what has already been reported there is not much more to tell.

The license selection process is well underway and the recommended list of teams to receive one will be forwarded to the AFL commission soonish.

As for the player breakups all that can be said is that the nominated clubs will have two marque players.
Whether they get to choose or the AFL is a little unclear.

AFter that process each nominated club can then approach 5 other players from anywhere to sign up.

After that there will a draft to select the balance of the squads from the remaining talent pool. Not sure if it is from any state or restricted in some way.

I think the mooted squad numbers are 25 or 26 around that mark.

As for Chachi it will a wait and see scenario.

I'd be stoked to have her in the Navy but so long as she plays is all that matters.

What I can tell you thou is that there is a real buzz about the various women's leagues.
Senior thru to juniors are excited plus.
The AFL, VFL Vic and other bodies have worked hard the last few years in setting up acadamies and identifying talent around Australia.
What we'll see is a very talented bunch of footballers strutting there stuff and playing good entertaining football.

If the CFC gets a license jump on board you won't be disappointed.

Reply #7
I think the clubs get to choose their marquee players. Brisbane have already signed one of theirs as they're the only QLD club to apply for a licence.

I would think that Carlton's first signing would be Lauren Arnell as we've employed her as our female footy ambassador. Here's hoping Chachi is next in line.

Reply #8
I think the clubs get to choose their marquee players. Brisbane have already signed one of theirs as they're the only QLD club to apply for a licence.

I would think that Carlton's first signing would be Lauren Arnell as we've employed her as our female footy ambassador. Here's hoping Chachi is next in line.

The Brisbane signing has put a few noses out of joint at HO. Since legally they don't have a license as yet.

Reply #9
The Brisbane signing has put a few noses out of joint at HO. Since legally they don't have a license as yet.

Yeah I thought that was a bit odd myself, but I dare say a few clubs who look likely to get a licence will have in principle agreements with some of the players.

Reply #10
Had Daisy Pearce on Triple M this afternoon and she gave quite a few details about the setup.

Basically the league is supposed to be 8 teams....although there is a possibility of it getting 10 as there has been a lot of interest so far.

In fact 13 AFL clubs have applied for a womens team. She didn't say who did (or didn't) though.

She said of the 8 teams, 4 of them will be from other states with QLD, NSW, SA and WA all getting 1 team each.

So that means only 4 vic teams (unless the afl expand from 8 to 10).

Of the 4 spots available, it is strongly suggested that the Dees and Dogs will get one each as they have been the pioneers of the whole thing.

That leaves 2 spots available for 8 vic teams!

Worst part about the whole thing is that Daisy, widely regarded as the best female player out there, was a mad Blues supporter growing up and still loves them, however, she is basically playing for the dees now and is currently undertaking a 2 year 'internship' at the dees as Paul Jackson (?) Dees President is looking after her and letting her go through any and all roles within the club over that period before she gets to choose something she wants to do for the club. From admin, to football department and everything else. They got her good. We missed our window. :(

Just on the Lions signing someone already, forget her name but she was on AFL360 last night and said she is committed to staying in QLD and although she didn't say she WON'T move, it was very much implied. She is playing for Brisbane this week and is a gun key forward who will most likely be taken as 1 of the 2 marquee players allowed as mentioned above.

Also shows us that Gold Coast won't get a team.

Reply #11

Just on the Lions signing someone already, forget her name but she was on AFL360 last night and said she is committed to staying in QLD and although she didn't say she WON'T move, it was very much implied. She is playing for Brisbane this week and is a gun key forward who will most likely be taken as 1 of the 2 marquee players allowed as mentioned above.

Also shows us that Gold Coast won't get a team.

The name your looking for is Taylah Harris.
Featured in the three of the last four Melbourne Vs Doggies games.
Takes some spectacular marks. Have a look around YouTube.

There are some seriously good players out there.
Mo Hope (gun fwd), Katie Brennan (gun), Donnellan (ex-Vic girl in WA), Bentley (WA girl), Daisy Pearce (champion), Mel Hickey (def), Emily Blackburn (mid), Emma Kearney (mid), Darcy Verscio (who is working at CFC) to name a few.

Setup correctly with drafting etc... you'll see some great football being played.

AFL's priority is to try to get an even competition to start with.
And from where they are starting and planning it should be done.
The talent depth will fall away initially but given the number of females playing footy at all levels the next 4 to 5 years will see a very good competition in place.
Should be great to watch it develop.

Reply #12
The name your looking for is Taylah Harris.
Featured in the three of the last four Melbourne Vs Doggies games.
Takes some spectacular marks. Have a look around YouTube.

There are some seriously good players out there.
Mo Hope (gun fwd), Katie Brennan (gun), Donnellan (ex-Vic girl in WA), Bentley (WA girl), Daisy Pearce (champion), Mel Hickey (def), Emily Blackburn (mid), Emma Kearney (mid), Darcy Verscio (who is working at CFC) to name a few.

That's the one. Yeah she can take a grab!

I think she in that iconic photo of a woman kicking with full leg extension on the follow through.
Mel Hickey was also on AFL360 last night and there was a bit of trash talking coming from Taylah's side as they might end up playing on eachother this weekend.

Taylah actually reminded me a bit of J. Brown. Not short on any confidence, but can back it up. Speaks her mind with very little in the way of a filter.
Good value.

Reply #13

Reply #14
I didn't get a chance to watch yesterday's TV broadcast game between Melb and Brisbane, any comments?
The Force Awakens!