Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 16: Post Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 21746 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 16: Post Game Pessimism: Carlton vs Adelaide

I am looking for a decent outcome. But it will be interesting to see how we handle things.

Not happy!
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 16: Post Game _________: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #1
The gap between us and the good sides is still huge, we need a massive draft/trade period at the end of the season.
Docherty would be further in front than Black Caviar in the B&F, he was outstanding again today.
Actually our back 6 is almost as good as any going around, but our midfield is thin and slow and our forward line non existent.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #2
The gap between us and the good sides is still huge, we need a massive draft/trade period at the end of the season.
Docherty would be further in front than Black Caviar in the B&F, he was outstanding again today.
Actually our back 6 is almost as good as any going around, but our midfield is thin and slow and our forward line non existent.

I would agree with this.

Reply #3
When will they announce that Casboult's report has been withdrawn and Hartigan charged with acting?

That should have cost us a goal but for a poor kick and Hartigan deserves to be punished and others deterred from cheating.

The useless pr1ck made out he was mortally wounded after a glancing blow to his shoulder.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4

Our back six are not as good as any going around because they cannot hit targets, and they are dragging Weitering down as each week goes by! We are turning Jacob Weitering into Jack Watts.

Our Mids get plenty of the ball, but most of them are panic merchants.

We have no natural forwards, we don't talk, we don't do the team things that make a forward line work. The biggest offender at the moment is Everitt, he's a liability because he takes opponents to the contest then hangs back leaving team-mates doing all the work. Three or four weeks running now he has played like he is 165cm not 195cm! Today I saw him take an opponent to the fall of the ball, then pull out leaving SOJ in his second game to deal with two opponents, Everitt needs to go! It's stuff like that which prevents Jaksch getting a game, it is not what they do it is what they don't do that counts!

I think 1AW might pull the pin this season, he is playing like he is looking for a highlight reel, he isn't doing the hard things like he use to do!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Our back six are not as good as any going around because they cannot hit targets, and they are dragging Weitering down as each week goes by! We are turning Jacob Weitering into Jack Watts.

I couldn't disagree more.
The only weak link is Rowe, who is good overhead defensively but his ball handling under pressure is suspect.
Plowman is improving steadily and looking like a 100 game player, Weitering will be very good and Docherty, Tuohy and Simpson are as good as any group of running backs in the AFL.
Not forgetting Ciaran Byrne, who has shown more in his handful of games than many top 20 draft picks ever do.

The biggest offender at the moment is Everitt, he's a liability because he takes opponents to the contest then hangs back leaving team-mates doing all the work.

We need to remember that this is Everitt's third club and that we got him cheap, he's never been a gun player and never will be.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #6
The only weak link is Rowe, who is good overhead defensively but his ball handling under pressure is suspect.
Plowman is improving steadily and looking like a 100 game player, Weitering will be very good and Docherty, Tuohy and Simpson are as good as any group of running backs in the AFL.
Not forgetting Ciaran Byrne, who has shown more in his handful of games than many top 20 draft picks ever do.

We need to remember that this is Everitt's third club and that we got him cheap, he's never been a gun player and never will be.
Very harsh on Rowe, he is the only player of height down there rest are 190-193 size, gets the best forward most weeks, though our running defenders show some quality , he is alone at his end most weeks. When we had a fit Jammo, he had experienced help, now Weitering , positive , but looks a little done in atm , Plowman, again serviceable and young , Simmo & 2e very good. Against teams like the crows with many tall forward option we / he will be up against it

Reply #7
The Bad
- Too many passengers - Walker, Everitt, Casboult, Sumner, Lamb, Thomas, SOS (partly excused because of his youth and abysmal delivery to the fwd line.
- We were terrible below our knees today, the number if times we fumbled trying to pick the ball up was ridiculous.
- Too many turnovers - we picked off Adelaide players at will, on two occasions, we kicked it straight to three Crows players.
- Kerridge, I have said before, is getting worse by the game.
- Gibbs may have had abit of the footy but they were the most useless possessions I have seen in a while.
- Krueser and Phillips had 4 marks between them. They were schooled today by Sauce.

The Good
- Army's first half
- SOS's first goal

Something has happened since we strung those wins together, either fatigue has caught up with our players or we have put the cue in the rack for the year (dont want to use the T word but...). I have seen two games live this year, this one and the Geelong game and there were two completely different teams/attitudes out there.

Oh well, just another bump in the road I guess. We were lucky with to come away with just a 10 goal loss, Adelaide were pretty terrible in parts. They should have well and truly reamed us.

Go Blues.

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #8
Tick
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
They are very ordinary ball users, they can miss a target 30m away by 15m, and do so regularly. Effort A, effectiveness and efficiency C-, today Adelaide scored several times when our defenders distributed the ball directly to the opposition despite not having any physical contact from an opponent.

He doesn't get cut slack for being an experienced three club player, he is expected to deliver more than a newbie but he regularly delivers less.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
On the upside I only watched the first half. Took the young fella to his first league game today, so three generations of blues fans sat in a row. After a hotdog and a few cheers and boos it was a good time to go at half time.

Vast skill difference today. We worked hard at times to get the pill but poor execution means our disposals take a second longer to hit a target, if they make it. So we are constantly under pressure.  I agree with other posts about our back six doing ok. Rowe is still a worry with the ball, but they are doing ok with some good rebound at times. But it stops with a weak midfield, so our attempts going forward are sloppy, more so with a static forward line. Kerridge and wright are stop gaps until they are displaced by better players. That's the hope anyway, but with the lack of depth there is not much pressure for spots right now.

Walker is just about done, as is everitt, whose contribution is so limited we are half a man down from the first bounce. Seems thomas got a calf injury too, so he is likely out for a while.  Well done armfield, who found himself in the right places. It's a lesson in keeping mobile as a forward for then opportunities will come.

Reply #11

Exactly.

But we all knew that right from the start.

We are half a season into a 3-4 year rebuild. Nobody thought we would win 6 games this season when the season started.

It won't get a whole lot better for a while either. We need to move another 12 or so players on and that can't be done in one hit.
SOS has got a hell of a load on his shoulders right now. So have the MC.
I hope they are all up to it.

I'm not too bothered by todays result. The way the Crows are going it could easily have been a lot worse.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #12
Game went to script...Army gave us some highlights early and Jack got his first goal and then they took over...even though they only looked in second gear.
Good learning game though and the Crows forwards work hard to get into space better than any other team....good video to show our blokes how its done.

The Casboult as the only marking target plan has probably seen its last day and I'd expect Jones or Jaksch to be included next week.....Everitt and Walker are also done.

Always fun to watch Daniel Talia do well......first thought always go to Kane Lucas....I thought I had let it go but dont think I ever will... :(

No need to dwell on this game as its all part of the up and down journey and its onto the trade/draft period for us....

Reply #13
Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers......relentless turnovers.

Cannot believe we went into this game with the same forward line from last week. Cannot believe Bolton doesn't think another permanent tall forward is required......Liam Jones must be mighty pissed right about now.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #14
I'm not upset or bitter & twisted by todays result, I expected us to lose, they are a class above us all round.

I thought the 'measured' difference between the two teams was around 7-8 goals so for them to win by 10 says to me that they played a better game than expected. They did have a huge carrot to play for though, a huge jump up the ladder into 3rd place, they saw us as good cannon fodder and took the opportunity when it was presented.

For us, well it wasn't a pretty day at the office but as I've said all along, the win/loss ratio really means jack-crap this season, it's the onfield effort and development of the young players is all that matters.

Silvagni showed he has a future as long as he trains hard and maintains his work ethic. Weitering had a 'down' day but he has shown more than many a first-year player so he is excused from scorn tonight, he may be tiring from a long season though.

There were a few seasoned senior players who let us down today with poor foot skills and/or decision-making, others were just not sighted for the majority of the match. These players will be dispensed with as soon as suitable replacements are sought or retirement catches up with them, which ever comes first. I don't need to name names, I've listed them so many times previously that you should all be able to recite them from memory.

Entering season 2016, no-one expected us to win a game due to being wooden spooners last year plus going through such a large turnover of players. It came as a major shock to many that we snaffled six wins but facing up to serious finals contenders late in the season makes finding another win very difficult.

Games like today will happen occasionally for us in this development phase, it's how we learn from them which is the key. We just have to keep persisting and learning our craft, there may not be a lot of joy between now and the end of the season but realistically, we have exceeded all expectations already.

Bring on the off-season so we can offload 12-14 more players and bring in some classy big-bodied grunt mids and a couple more genuine key position players because that has to be the recruiting focus.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"