Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 40220 times) previous topic - next topic

2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

I don't know that I want to consider our next game yet, but I guess we have to. Hiding from it will not make it better.
We will need to have some changes, as a few guys really failed to fire last night. Dennis is particular must be under pressure on that effort.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: 2017 Rd 2 Pre Game Panic Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
Tidy up the disposal efficiency (see less turnovers) and we'll be more competitive.

It's a simple game that our players frequently make more difficult.

I saw an incident on the wing where Armfield had the chance to go after a loose ball and instead of hunting the footy he played for a free kick as he was being impeded.

Cut that crap out and go get the footy, and we'll do better.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2
Tidy up the disposal efficiency (see less turnovers) and we'll be more competitive.

That's akin to saying that if only I could run faster I could beat Usain Bolt Thry.
Disposal efficiency is one of the key things that separates the wheat from the chaff among AFL footballers, the sad fact is that we currently have more chaff than wheat.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #3
That's akin to saying that if only I could run faster I could beat Usain Bolt Thry.
Disposal efficiency is one of the key things that separates the wheat from the chaff among AFL footballers, the sad fact is that we currently have more chaff than wheat.

I think it's mostly in their heads.....

Agree that Army, White and Thomas must be dropped.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
A few changes for next week. Get Harry McKay in...I mean if we're going to lose games anyway, why not get some experience into the players even if they're not quite there yet. Same rule applies for Zac Fisher and David Cuningham. Also you could bring in a half eaten sandwich and it would be more effective than Dale Thomas was last night.

OUT:

Thomas
White
Armfield
Casboult

IN:

Cuningham
McKay
Fisher
Palmer

Reply #5
Hope we dont panic, drop the kids and go back to the tried and failed...the new kids actually did ok and had their moments and need to be persisted with.....
Charlie C wasnt great but is the future and I like his big frame in the team, looked a bit lethargic but moved better as the game went on and I think he needs some match conditioning. I'd probably like some cover for Weitering down forward who looked a bit banged up and I dont want him flogged trying to patch holes everywhere, if it means playing Jones or Jaksch to give the kid a spell during the game then so be it. I'd like to to see HarryMac in the team but dont want to rush him in either as he needs more time in the NB's to ripen up...

Reply #6
At training when there is little pressure most of our guys would be deadly accurate with their hand and foot passing.
It's not that they lack the skill it's more that skills and decision making go to pieces when they are rushed to perform these tasks under match conditions.

Greater support and more pressure from our side and we might find that players with a little more time can execute more effectively....there will always be a couple who don't and these are the ones we need to replace sooner rather than later.

Reply #7
At training when there is little pressure most of our guys would be deadly accurate with their hand and foot passing.
It's not that they lack the skill it's more that skills and decision making go to pieces when they are rushed to perform these tasks under match conditions.

Greater support and more pressure from our side and we might find that players with a little more time can execute more effectively....there will always be a couple who don't and these are the ones we need to replace sooner rather than later.

I remember Andrew Walker saying exactly the same a couple of seasons back.

Those 1%ers really make a difference : blocks, shepherds etc., all have the potential to buy the ball carrier an extra second or two, which can help significantly. As do running patterns, leading patterns, separation from your opponent etc. all give the ball carrier time and choice to execute better.

Reply #8
Hope we dont panic, drop the kids and go back to the tried and failed...the new kids actually did ok and had their moments and need to be persisted with.....

Agree completely. Regardless of results I just want to see kids being developed inside the cauldron.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #9
The only change I'd make is Thomas out, I don't care who comes in.
Armfield on thin ice, hope he just needed the run and shows more next week.
White and Casboult both play.

Reply #10
There was a goal kicked by Rich at the city end last night from a boundary throw in during the first qtr. From memory, and I was at the opposite end of the ground, the Rich ruckman took it easily, after Cas stumbled cluelessly towards the boundary line, and either snapped the goal or hacked it fwd and someone else snapped it. It was an example of how poor Cas's ruck craft is and how little he imposes himself physically on a contest. If he cant ruck, cant impose himself physically and cant kick straight, his days are well and truly numbered. Whilst Phillips is injured, we don't have much choice and Gorringe is as soft as butter IMO. Its a problem area that I dont think we can rectify in the immediate future.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #11
Charlie C wasnt great but is the future and I like his big frame in the team, looked a bit lethargic but moved better as the game went on and I think he needs some match conditioning. I'd probably like some cover for Weitering down forward who looked a bit banged up and I dont want him flogged trying to patch holes everywhere, if it means playing Jones or Jaksch to give the kid a spell during the game then so be it. I'd like to to see HarryMac in the team but dont want to rush him in either as he needs more time in the NB's to ripen up...
Agree, we absolutely MUST persevere with the young talent.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
There was a goal kicked by Rich at the city end last night from a boundary throw in during the first qtr. From memory, and I was at the opposite end of the ground, the Rich ruckman took it easily, after Cas stumbled cluelessly towards the boundary line, and either snapped the goal or hacked it fwd and someone else snapped it. It was an example of how poor Cas's ruck craft is and how little he imposes himself physically on a contest. If he cant ruck, cant impose himself physically and cant kick straight, his days are well and truly numbered. Whilst Phillips is injured, we don't have much choice and Gorringe is as soft as butter IMO. Its a problem area that I dont think we can rectify in the immediate future.

Actually thought it was one thing Casboult did well last night was ruck. That area is much improved. It was his lack of impact around the ground, especially in the first half was the issue.

Reply #13
Casboult was interesting last night. His first half was appalling, and yes that was Nankervis who nudged him away and took the ball and snapped a goal against him. But after half time it was like he woke up, got a bit of confidence after kicking a goal, and was better in both ruck and general play. I'm hoping he needed the run and will be better next week, we really need him to have his best year

Reply #14
Actually thought it was one thing Casboult did well last night was ruck. That area is much improved. It was his lack of impact around the ground, especially in the first half was the issue.

Nankervis is not really a useful measure, next week will be the real tell assuming Gawn plays.
The Force Awakens!