Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 28620 times) previous topic - next topic

2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Saturday, April 15
7.25 PM
Etihad Stadium

6 day turnaround for both teams
Both teams coming off their first win of the season.
The Suns need to travel, offset by the fact that we played in very taxing, exhausting conditions.

I'm a little worried that our rusty skills will be exposed on a dry track, something that is less of an issue in the wet.

Both teams will be pumped and eager to make it 2 in a row.

No injuries for us, that I'm aware of.

Ablett played a very good game today, going by the stats : 36 touches, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goals 1.

Suns by 5 goals.

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Pre Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #1
No injuries for us, that I'm aware of.

Weitering might have to battle some concussion issues through the week.

Simmo was limping pretty badly at some stage, although he looked to make a recovery....and unless his leg is amputated, reckon he'll be out there yet again.

Reply #2

Simmo was limping pretty badly at some stage, although he looked to make a recovery....and unless his leg is amputated, reckon he'll be out there yet again.

Thanks.

Ah well, there's our No1 player, and our spiritual leader.

If they're outs, our task just got that much harder.

Reply #3
2 in row to square the season up.
Go Blues
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Thanks.

I reckon every player from today would walk through walls to play next game.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
I reckon every player from today would walk through walls to play next game.

Maybe, but hopefully players and club will be sensible and honest in how they manage injuries, without taking unnecessary risks. This is for all players, but perhaps more so for "Crown Jewels" players like Weets.

Reply #6
Thanks.

Weitering's far from our number one player and Simmo, while a favourite son, isn't our spiritual leader.

We'd miss both, but not as much as we'd miss a dozen others ... and that's a good thing!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Weitering's far from our number one player and Simmo, while a favourite son, isn't our spiritual leader.

We'd miss both, but not as much as we'd miss a dozen others ... and that's a good thing!

Who do you think are our No1 player and spiritual leader ?

Reply #8

I'm not sure that I could nominate a number one player but well ahead of Weitering at the moment are Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Cripps, Docherty and Simpson, with several others, particularly Wright, Rowe, Plowman and Marchbank at least level pegging.

Spiritual leadership is intangible and hard to pin down but I reckon Kreuzer is the man with Murphy not far behind.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Hey Guys,

Have Freed up my weekend to cheer the blues on, wondered if anyone fancied meeting up before and watching game together, let me know :)

Go The Blues

Reply #10

I agree on both players but if Weitering misses or the club even lists him as 'test concussion' we will cope it from the media and rightly so.

I was very surprised to see him run back on the field. The 'kid' lay face down for a good minute before getting to his feet and being helped off. It was a very tough and ugly collision.

Media will be all over this even if the club says it a 'delayed concussion'.

I doubt we will get up for this - Those conditions have a heavier then normal toll on the player and the young ones will feel it even more

Reply #11
He sat off the twenty minutes, and then passed the concussion assessment and looked a bit unsettled from then onwards, but that could literally be to do with soreness.  Im not sure what else the club can do, but exercise caution and not put him back on, but there was none of the agitation that goes with someone that is concussed and he played like his usual cool calm and collected self from then onwards.

If he misses this week there is not much ire the club should wear for it, as they have followed the accepted protocol and if Weits didnt want to go back out there, I doubt our club would have forced him to do it.

Odds are he was happy to.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Weitering is being targeted every week and we have to expect that.

He's had 3 damned hard weeks and I would not be surprised if he was rested this week anyway.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #13
Yeah agreed Thry.

In: fisher, jacksh/ curnow
Out: kerridge, weiters

Reply #14

Murphy, and Murphy.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.