Skip to main content
Topic: Match tactic. (Read 7235 times) previous topic - next topic

Match tactic.

Just listening to the Port vs Geelong game and then thinking back to out games against Tigers and the Power. How we come back in the second half. I heard Mick say in a few interviews our aim is to "absorb the pressure, and limit the score board damage" in the first half of a game. Is this a genuine tactic or game plan. Not running the first half of a game out hard. Just doing enough to limit the score the other side has at half time.

It appears as though it takes a side 2 hard running first quarters to score enough to be below 5 goals ahead of us. Lots of hard running, fast tempo footy. Yet the nerves of the first quarter especially has sides miss easy shots at goal. All this hard work appears to be almost fully wasted. Once they are tired after half time, we turn up the burners and play free flowing footy of maximum risk and maximum return in the 3rd quarter. Shoot out style footy and sides fail to keep pace. Making the scoring easier because the other side is taxed from the first half.

To run this hard in the first quarter is difficult when all players are full of beans. They tend to zone defend rather than chase one on one all over the ground. In the 3rd and 4th quarter we play one on one, but run hard off the opponent in numbers and are not easily caught.  The ball is forced forwards any way you know how. Kick it along the ground, tap it forward, punch it etc. What ever it takes to keep the ball moving your way. Run the ball as often as you can and play shoot out footy to impact the score board in periods of 5 to 10 mins to cause damage to the opponents confidence.

First half, tight, lock it up footy. focus on tackle and don't run as hard but look to kick to players on a lead. Use the boundary and zone the defence to force your opponent to chip around as much as possible and look for turn overs. Let them run if they wish and use the zoning to get a player caught with no more space to run. Don't waste all your energy chasing a player. Minimal energy used.

Second half go for broke. Spread as often as possible. Run, run, run and score often and quickly. Let them try to chase because they just won't be able to, do to the early fatigue. Just make sure the first half damage on the score board is minimal. Below 5 goals if possible. Less zone defence and one on one footy but plenty of spread when your side has the footy and run in numbers. Open up the forward 50m to free up space. Bring your forwards on the wing and the middle of the ground to drag defenders out of space.

Just something I have noticed watching the play. Something Mick has said more than once and it looks like a tactic. You allow the other side to enjoy a lead if that happens, but you come back with a fury. "Absorb the pressure and minimise the damage".

It sounded stupid a few weeks ago and especially last week, but I think it is starting to make sense. 1st half "Plan A", second half "Plan B".

That is why Mick doesn't take as much notice of the stats and watches the score board. He doesn't care for tackles, contested stats. He worries about the scoreboard. At the end of the day if you win the stats mean nothing. He does hate easy missed set shots on goal. I don't blame him for that. Just some food for thought for any that may have noticed the same in our recent games. I think Micks game plan has evolved to suit the playing group. Works well at the moment. could just be a fluke. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Re: Match tactic.

Reply #1
Other wise known as rope-a-dope, and yes I agree with you, that has been our game plan for at least the last month or so.

I'm not sure that it would hold up for a full season, I will be interested to see if we try to take it into next season.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #2
Sounds like a cop out to me.

Excuses are easy.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
There was some people suggesting the bombers where doing similar ," bend don't break" style and then powering over teams.

I don't really buy it. Yes there would be tactics to absorb pressure when you don't have the ball but you wouldn't deliberately give away attacking opportunities.

And if it is the plan I sure it wouldn't include being 40 points down at half time.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #4
Other wise known as rope-a-dope, and yes I agree with you, that has been our game plan for at least the last month or so.

I'm not sure that it would hold up for a full season, I will be interested to see if we try to take it into next season.

Exactly.

Stay cool, calm and collected and let them punch themselves out. Then fight back.

I know Mick has changed the plan since the pre-season and this seems to be our last incarnation. We actually saw it in R1 against the tigers.
First half, defensive, don't get blown out of the water.
Second half, open the floodgates and run all over them.

Obviously, we saw that against the Tigers, twice since then, and Port recently.

I actually think this is a bit of a hybrid between what Mick implemented at Collingwood and what Ratten had here previously. It suits Micks style, our list, and finals football.

In Mick we trust.

Reply #5
I actually do believe that this was our approach last week against Richmond purely because of the size of their support. I think we went in with the approach of let's just keep it locked down and take the crowd out of it.

Having 60-70K Richmond supporters giving that side a wave of support would have killed us.

That said, they smashed us in the first quarter and we should have been way further back.

Reply #6
I think it's a matter of Mick's style falling down and having nothing to lose so going for it in the second half and opening the game up a little or rolling the dice so to speak. That said, his style didn't really seem to break down too bad against Richmond in the first half, we just crucified ourselves with stupid 50s and decisions that went against us.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
Simple question - would you rather CFC were up by 6 goals or down by 6 goals at half time tonight?

??? ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #8

Exactly.

Stay cool, calm and collected and let them punch themselves out. Then fight back.

I know Mick has changed the plan since the pre-season and this seems to be our last incarnation. We actually saw it in R1 against the tigers.

I actually think this is a bit of a hybrid between what Mick implemented at Collingwood and what Ratten had here previously. It suits Micks style, our list, and finals football.

In Mick we trust.

What about the 40 points down bit?

Not sure that's part of the plan .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #9
Simple question - would you rather CFC were up by 6 goals or down by 6 goals at half time tonight?

??? ;)

Ill take 6 up everybody would (or should)

Plus.

Sydney's second halves have been pretty bad this year if its close at half time we are a chance.

Reply #10

Exactly.

In Mick we trust.

What about the 40 points down bit?

Not sure that's part of the plan .

Nothing goes to script 100%.

Its not ideal, but the end result is what was required.

Reply #11
Not ideal?

The truth is we simply could not get our hands on the ball for much of the first half, same against Port.

I'm sure if we're halving the contests we'd would have most likely halved the score.

Absorbing pressure is something you do when you don't have the football, every team does it.

Reply #12
Not ideal?

The truth is we simply could not get our hands on the ball for much of the first half, same against Port.

I'm sure if we're halving the contests we'd would have most likely halved the score.

Absorbing pressure is something you do when you don't have the football, every team does it.

They had double our possessions after the first quarter.

Every team TRIES to absorb pressure. Doing it, and being able to come back later is something that other teams cannot do.

Reply #13
There's no way this plan will hold up against top 4 sides. If Richmond had kicked straight, we could have been down by 60 points. Not a fan, if this is in fact our game plan.

Reply #14
Not ideal?

They had double our possessions after the first quarter.

Every team TRIES to absorb pressure. Doing it, and being able to come back later is something that other teams cannot do.

Contested ball and clearances Kruds.

Pretty sure we went from eff all to being in front at the end.

All teams try to absorb pressure, we failed, what sort of plan is one where we deliberately give a half of football away.?

But go with what makes you happy.

I think it's far more likely we have one way of playing and, when we find it doesn't work or we don't execute properly OR couldn't execute properley, MM has to tweak it or change it in the second half.