Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 66359 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #30
Rance struggles when his opponent has a similar ability to anticipate and read the play.  Remember how Weitering gave him a torrid time when he played as a forward.  I reckon either Weitering or Marchbank could make Rance's life difficult.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
I see Marchbank as a high quality rebounding 'playmaker' in our backline. It would only serve to dismantle our backline system to have him moved up forward in a stopping role. O'shea is more of an 'expendable' who could anticipate Rance's strategy. Weiters would make Astbury accountable and drag him deep into our forwardline...and provide McKay & others with some space to work into.

Reply #32
I was just a little bored and I looked up the stats for intercepts.  Rance is second with 9.44 per game.  Our mighty Liam Jones is 10th with 7.5 per game.  I wonder if Hardwick will be thinking about a defensive forward to negate Liam's influence  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Richmond win so many intercepts in the backline because their midfield/forward pressure ensures the only entries are aimless long bombs to an outnumbered forward. That was the whole point of the smaller forward line they ran this year.

It's not because Astbury is such a good player. Rance would probably get plenty intercepts anyway because he can win 1 on 1s as well as the cheap intercepts you get when you're part of a defense that outnumbers the attack 4 on 2 on most occasions.

Reply #34
I wonder if Hardwick will be thinking about a defensive forward to negate Liam's influence  :)

Yep, if we can use Jones wisely he's a real handful.

I suspect opponents will try to do a Levi Casboult to him and take away his run at the ball. But Liam's time in the VFL Ruck last year has really changed his outlook and attack on the ball. He's not so easy to dispose of anymore and he's not afraid to use his size, Fraser should been getting a bonus.

Over the last few seasons we've tended to put and leave players in positions for the bulk of games. Weitering being shifted forward is a typical example, SoJ being moved back late in the season another. In 2018 I can see us with a heavy rotation between KPDs and KPFs, variety is the spice of life! ;D Pretty much every KPD we have played in recent times including Weitering, Jones, ACoS, Marchbank, Rowe and SoJ have some attacking experience.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
Richmond win so many intercepts in the backline because their midfield/forward pressure ensures the only entries are aimless long bombs to an outnumbered forward. That was the whole point of the smaller forward line they ran this year.

It's not because Astbury is such a good player. Rance would probably get plenty intercepts anyway because he can win 1 on 1s as well as the cheap intercepts you get when you're part of a defense that outnumbers the attack 4 on 2 on most occasions.

Agree...We kicked it to Astbury, long bombs usually on his own, Houli isnt a great player either but our manning up is deplorable so he just runs loose and rebounds...he didnt like Lamb too getting close so he belted him....later in the game they have Nankervis resting around CHB so he usually gets some easy marks too from bombed kicks.

Reply #36
I think we'll win the game.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
I think we'll win the game.

I agree.

It's more likely that our significant list change and new game plan will catch Nthmond out, than a minor tweak to Nthmond's game plan catches us out!

The one thing AFL Coaches cannot plan for in advance is something new.

It's why copying or replicating stuff that has been done before is such a dead end move. (MM take note!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
I agree.

It's more likely that our significant list change and new game plan will catch Nthmond out, than a minor tweak to Nthmond's game plan catches us out!

The one thing AFL Coaches cannot plan for in advance is something new.

It's why copying or replicating stuff that has been done before is such a dead end move. (MM take note!)

I reckon Hubris will probably be the deciding factor.  The reigning premiers wont see it coming until its too late.  I noticed they only returned to training over the last week or two and I wonder what a delayed start is likely to do for them.

They have always been fairly weak psychologically as a footy club, and it wouldnt surprise me for them to be sitting 0 and 4 next year.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
I reckon Hubris will probably be the deciding factor.  The reigning premiers wont see it coming until its too late.  I noticed they only returned to training over the last week or two and I wonder what a delayed start is likely to do for them.

They have always been fairly weak psychologically as a footy club, and it wouldnt surprise me for them to be sitting 0 and 4 next year.

I think we'll hit them pretty hard physically even though we'll have a couple of youngsters likely playing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #40
And let's not forget the Ed Curnow 'incident' with Dusty. Payback time.

That was RD 15. Ed didn't play again!

There was no mention - anywhere in the media - of how Ed's injury happened - it was a Dusty 'don't argue'. Should have been reported imo.

We lost Lamb and Curnow that day and were only 17 points down with 10 minutes to play....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
We lost Lamb and Curnow that day and were only 17 points down with 10 minutes to play....

I'd like nothing better than to see Cripps or C.Curnow give Dusty some of his own fend-off medicine, followed up by the international hand signal for chopsticks! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-12-13/weitering-to-stay-in-defence

Early days yet I guess, but Cameron Bruce indicating that Weitering is probably earmarked as a defender at this stage. Obviously some big hopes for Harry and Charlie up forward next year.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-12-13/weitering-to-stay-in-defence

Early days yet I guess, but Cameron Bruce indicating that Weitering is probably earmarked as a defender at this stage. Obviously some big hopes for Harry and Charlie up forward next year.

Lets put it this way, when fit and confident Weitering is the best intercept mark at the club, and possibly one of the best in the league.

It's his marking that makes him so useful as an occasional forward.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44
Trying to pick a best 22 is the hardest it's been in years IMO.

I'm hoping Cuningham and Kennedy can fill Gibb's shoes somewhat. But I'm absolutely struggling to pick a best 22, we finally have a bit of depth.

Can't wait for a bit of footy to start, withdrawals atm