Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park (Read 32205 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

To my great pleasure, the AFLW season kicks off on Friday evening at Carlton at 19:40 hours, with out Beautiful Blues taking on Collingwood. It should be an excellent game. I hope it is as good as last year's game was.

The Blues will be unleashing of our 2 big name recruits, both of whom survived the practice match last weekend. Darcy Vescio did more than just survive it: she showed just how good she is after a big break with knee surgery. I bet Nicola Stevens is happy to be in our colours this time, instead of trying to stop Darcy.

The game has free entry, but a big crowd is probable. Get there early!
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW Rd 1: Carlton vs Collingwood at Ikon Park

Reply #1
I too will be looking forward to it.

This year i won't have the birth of my child to distract me from the game.

Looking forward to seeing Tayla Harris is action wearing navy blue with Darcy Vescio scampering around her feet. Lethal forward duo.

Reply #2
We are great front and back. I'm not too convinced about our midfield. Arnell is a little slow and I can't see too many others coming through.

Reply #3
We are great front and back. I'm not too convinced about our midfield. Arnell is a little slow and I can't see too many others coming through.

My thoughts too Jofo.
I think we've got some grunt in there. Have we got the speed and class?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #4

Interestingly, only Arnell and Bri Davey were classes as 'elite' from champion data stats.

No Vescio, no Harris....although the latters form last year is understandable somewhat.

Reply #5
Interestingly, only Arnell and Bri Davey were classes as 'elite' from champion data stats.

No Vescio, no Harris....although the latters form last year is understandable somewhat.
How Vescio missed out is amazing: Mark of the Year, top goal kicker and more.

I am pleased to see Arnell in the 'elite' group, though. She is a class act.
What I wanted for us was to improve our midfield. Instead we recruited a key forward and a key defender. Granted that they could be very good players, but I was still thinking midfielders. In the draft we picked up a few. I hope they can add the pace we lacked last year in the middle.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
I wish the Carlton website would have an ability to split the news up so you can easily filter out the women's news stories.
For those who have little interest the Carlton site is currently quite frustrating to view.
Simply an option to customize your view would the site much better.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #7
I wish the Carlton website would have an ability to split the news up so you can easily filter out the women's news stories.
For those who have little interest the Carlton site is currently quite frustrating to view.
Simply an option to customize your view would the site much better.

The only reason I would ever watch the AFLW is because some of our players in the senior mens team will probably end up playing there :)

Reply #8
The only reason I would ever watch the AFLW is because some of our players in the senior mens team will probably end up playing there :)

or unless my daughter starts playing in years to come..... but each to their own.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
Biases are generally embedded and hard to shift.

I started watching the girls without any pre-conception of it relative to mens footy. I don't judge them relative to the men or any other men, so I enjoy the womens game as a very different product with different strategies, tactics and skill sets.

The same will apply to AFLX, if you think you are going to another game of footy you've already lost the point!

AFLW and AFLX are different games, you should not expect more of the same as AFL or VFL!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Of course there is no possibility that people just don't like the women's game is there?

You can expect a different product and not like that product.

I might think differently about women's football in the future, but at the moment I don't find it interesting at all. I only know the names of a few players because they are on the front page of the Carlton site, but I don't both reading almost any of the women's articles.

I don't want the women's game to be shutdown, I fully support their being a women's competition, I support the AFL putting time and money into the competition in the aim that eventually it will generate it's own revenue streams and give women a similar chance to make a living out of football as men if the public are prepared to put their money behind it.

Personally though, I currently find the game boring. If I had a niece or someone playing, of course I would show more interest, but then I would show interest if I had a niece or nephew playing any sport at the highest level available to them.

All for Carlton having a team, I would just like the option of reading about the team I want to read about.. The Carlton Football Club's AFL team without having to siphon through the AFLW stuff.

It should be something that is easy enough to do as well, have 3 options.. Show All, Show Men's, Show Women's.

The same goes with the AFLX concept.. It might be a fun game, but there are hundreds of sports out there and the team could also play water polo in the preseason and I wouldn't be interested in that either, other than wishing it would go away so the preseason proper can get started.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #11
Of course there is no possibility that people just don't like the women's game is there?

You can expect a different product and not like that product.

I might think differently about women's football in the future, but at the moment I don't find it interesting at all. I only know the names of a few players because they are on the front page of the Carlton site, but I don't both reading almost any of the women's articles.

I don't want the women's game to be shutdown, I fully support their being a women's competition, I support the AFL putting time and money into the competition in the aim that eventually it will generate it's own revenue streams and give women a similar chance to make a living out of football as men if the public are prepared to put their money behind it.

Personally though, I currently find the game boring. If I had a niece or someone playing, of course I would show more interest, but then I would show interest if I had a niece or nephew playing any sport at the highest level available to them.

All for Carlton having a team, I would just like the option of reading about the team I want to read about.. The Carlton Football Club's AFL team without having to siphon through the AFLW stuff.

It should be something that is easy enough to do as well, have 3 options.. Show All, Show Men's, Show Women's.

The same goes with the AFLX concept.. It might be a fun game, but there are hundreds of sports out there and the team could also play water polo in the preseason and I wouldn't be interested in that either, other than wishing it would go away so the preseason proper can get started.

I generally hold the same opinion.  Its all just fluff until the real stuff starts, and I hope our AFLX doesnt detract from the main stuff.

Where i think the future of Carlton as a sporting club lies is the european model of operations.  Generally, the sporting clubs in europe are sports clubs, and have teams that are represented in multiple sports.

Sure they have some main events, but you will see the same team name, and same colours being represented in all manner of different sports, starting with Basketball, Soccer/Football, Handball, Water Polo, Ping Pong, both mens and womens varieties, and all manner of other sports that escape me at the moment.  It gives us good news stories about Carlton, gives us something to enjoy in the meantime until the big stuff starts, and we can celebrate a victory against Collingwood in arm wrestling if thats all thats on tv, but generally I see this as the way forward for sporting clubs.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
I generally hold the same opinion.  Its all just fluff until the real stuff starts, and I hope our AFLX doesnt detract from the main stuff.

I read the highlighted part as you basically holding a mindset that AFLX is in someway competing with the main game.

I might be wrong but that doesn't seem consistent with MIO's position that AFLW is a different sport he just isn't interested in, have I read MIO post wrongly?

If it's a different game/sport then I would think it's not in competition by definition, if over time the newbies garnish media support that is a problem for the AFL, not for AFLW or AFLX.

I'm not trying to force AFLW or AFLX down peoples throat, people are free to choose. But I believe it's clearly wrong to take a line of argument that compares either game to their AFL predecessor. It would be like comparing chess to chequers, only the board they play on is the same!

In particular my position on this stuff has been turned round by watching the WFA in the UK. It's almost a better game to watch than the Premier League, no fat-heads, no diving, no interruptions for video reviews, no players just there for the money, and yet the WFA game is full of skills and speed! No wonder clubs like Chelsea, Manchester and Liverpool are heavily invested in the WFA.

Where i think the future of Carlton as a sporting club lies is the european model of operations.  Generally, the sporting clubs in europe are sports clubs, and have teams that are represented in multiple sports.

Sure they have some main events, but you will see the same team name, and same colours being represented in all manner of different sports, starting with Basketball, Soccer/Football, Handball, Water Polo, Ping Pong, both mens and womens varieties, and all manner of other sports that escape me at the moment.  It gives us good news stories about Carlton, gives us something to enjoy in the meantime until the big stuff starts, and we can celebrate a victory against Collingwood in arm wrestling if thats all thats on tv, but generally I see this as the way forward for sporting clubs.

I think this is self evident, it's about using a resource to it's fullest extent.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
I actually enjoy the women's competition and I'm looking forward to the start of the season.
Towards the end of last year it became less of a novelty for me and more an extension of the club in a similar manner to the VFL side.
It was very much "Carlton" for me with the same desire for a win as you would experience watching the men's side...but to each his own.

With that in mind for those that are interested... what format do we want to use for the sites "best and fairest competition."
We just did a 3,2,1 last year and it seemed to throw up a well-deserved winner but some expressed the view they'd prefer a system similar to the one we use for the men's competition.
Anyone keen to take it on as a project.

Reply #14
Firstly, I think 3,2,1 is fine. With the girls there is often a clear line between the BoG an the rest, one player having red hot day can win you a game!

On a separate issue, has anyone picked up that there is some innuendo in the media about bad blood between Tayla Harris an the Lions? I noticed that even one of the AFLW captains picked this as the one season game to watch, Tayla playing against her old side. It reminds me of Marc Murphy's debut against the Lions, they told the world they would smash him and they did! :o
The Force Awakens!