Skip to main content
Topic: JLT Series - 5 days away (Read 10142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT Series - 5 days away

Reply #45
Lang hasn't missed much of the pre season.

Bit much to suggest he won't be cherry ripe at all this season? Perhaps will nedd a few games in the 2s to start with but class shines through...

His 2017 season at the Cats was far more injury interrupted and he still had a major impact in their finsls campaign.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
I gather Lang is back in full training. Anyone else heard anything?

Sounds like, Doc aside, we'll pretty much have a full list to choose from?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #47
Lang hasn't missed much of the pre season.

Bit much to suggest he won't be cherry ripe at all this season? Perhaps will nedd a few games in the 2s to start with but class shines through...

His 2017 season at the Cats was far more injury interrupted and he still had a major impact in their finsls campaign.....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-cautious-with-lang-as-he-recovers-from-ankle-injury-20180201-p4yz8v.html
Carlton midfielder Darcy Lang is expected to resume running again next week after he was placed on a modified program due to an injured ankle.

The Blues remain hopeful be available for round one but are taking a cautious approach to his recovery to ensure he has no hiccups once he returns.

They are also keen to avoid setting any timeline for Lang's return to ensure he is not put under any pressure to return.

The 22-year-old has been on crutches after stretching the ligaments in his ankle and did not take part in a scratch match at training on Wednesday.

He crossed to Carlton from Geelong after 44 games with the Cats and adds midfield depth to the emerging Blues.

This article is from the 1st of Feb.

Strained angle ligaments will likely result in an inability to do ANY real load bearing work including sprinting, endurance, and change of direction for minimum 2 weeks, and maximum 6 weeks depending on how severe.  He goes into the bucket of "interupted" pre season and will unlikely be able to play his best until he is able to catch up to the rest.

Better players than Lang have shown us that an interrupted pre season can significantly hinder their ability to play their best footy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
We'll know for sure in a few weeks....  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #49
Fly, I want/need Lang to be a success, but we need to accept reality that he will not play his best footy this season.

He still might be an upgrade for us, but he will improve again in season 2019 if he gets a good pre season in is what I am saying.

This year however we should temper our expectations because of the above article.

Thats all.  It's simply a matter of fact.

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
Fly, I want/need Lang to be a success, but we need to accept reality that he will not play his best footy this season.

He still might be an upgrade for us, but he will improve again in season 2019 if he gets a good pre season in is what I am saying.

This year however we should temper our expectations because of the above article.

It doesn't seem like this is necessarily a season killing type injury. It depends how much running he's missed all up which by the report above doesn't look to be too much. He can pick up match practice / fitness obviously - a preseason is only really wrecked if you miss out on a large chunk of the running which he hasn't yet.

Cripps did his back preseason last year and missed pretty much the entire preseason which seriously hurt his year. Lang is nowhere near that by the looks... but we won't know until he gets back out playing.

Reply #51
Am I the only on who sees the words strained ankle ligaments, and modified program and then understands that they are missing a good 4 weeks of proper training (at a best case scenario) and is going to be up to 12 weeks behind at worst??

Again, he will not play his best footy this season, because of these injuries.  Ive experienced them before.  My ankle was purple, and prevented me from being able to train for 4 weeks.  I played catch up to the rest of my team for the first 6 weeks of the year, and missed a few games in the process. 

Anyway, all I am saying is expect Lang to be able to perform better, and will probably start off a bit dissapointing if you have lofty expectations of anything from him.

Paul Hewson

Reply #52
Lang has a history of injuries so its no surprise to see him injured again, I'd be surprised if he plays in the first couple of games and expect the club to be conservative with him, seems one of those unlucky types that breaks legs etc  and will always struggle to be durable and play a lot of consecutive footy...
A lot of competition for mid/half forward roles and I think we have the numbers to cover until he is fit and in form......

Reply #53

But we don't know the facts ie the severity of his injury!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
3-4 week injury in preseason isn't a season killing injury. If it's a 2+ month injury - yep I agree it's going to limit his season but that article indicates he's back running 3 weeks ago so clearly not ideal but I'm not sure there's too much to worry about just yet. 

Reply #55
If 3-4 is twice as bad as 1-2 weeks don't expect him back until 2020