Skip to main content
Topic: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ...... (Read 30903 times) previous topic - next topic

Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ......

We all watched Dylan Buckley go it alone with Goddard until Jamison strolled in late to push Goddard away but on Footy Classified they also showed an Essendon newbie in Jason Ashby pushing Marc Murphy on the boundary line......its not on and Murphy should have not allowed some pimply faced kid to stand over him....Murphy took it and walked away. We have to get tougher as a team and Murphy has to toughen up as captain or lose the job IMO.
Its sends the wrong message to the playing group and to opposing teams......we were/are weak and the Bombers know they can bully us.

Re: Stand up for yourself and your mates......

Reply #1
We all watched Dylan Buckley go it alone with Goddard until Jamison strolled in late to push Goddard away but on Footy Classified they also showed an Essendon newbie in Jason Ashby pushing Marc Murphy on the boundary line......its not on and Murphy should have not allowed some pimply faced kid to stand over him....Murphy took it and walked away. We have to get tougher as a team and Murphy has to toughen up as captain or lose the job IMO.
Its sends the wrong message to the playing group and to opposing teams......we were/are weak and the Bombers know they can bully us.

There's no love in this team EB.

They've never backed each other .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2
Hate to say it but Fev wouldn't let anyone stand over our blokes and quite often deployed a few standover tactics himself. Love him or hate him, he was the heart of the side.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
Agree with this.  Our team really needs "To harden the f&*k up"

Reply #4
It comes down to that Introvert / Extrovert mix again, we have too many of one!

Plus our players have been indoctrinated by Judd over the last few years to move on with play while he keeps three opposition players busy trying to rough him up. Judd actively encourages our guys to move on while he attracts the attention, in effect Judd was playing the role at Carlton that Cousin's had played so well at West Coast.

But in Judd's absence this doesn't work, and our players do not know what to do? The only mid who goes close is McLean who has a bit of mongrel and the body size to cope with the attention, Bell is starting to work into it and Armfield shows some promise.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5

I also found that embarrassing and was glad it had the public light shone on it.

With that kind of lame reaction and support (for Jimmy's boy) any wonder a lot of our blokes would feel like they're on their own. Sheesh.

And for our Skipper to roll over so easily (spirit probably broken - which should never happen in a Skipper) was just about as soft as soft can be.

Sticks made the comment that this is a man's game... well we sure did have a lot of boys out there on Sunday.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Re: Stand Up For Yourself & Your Mates ......

Reply #6
There was also another moment in the game involving Murph, where he tackled a player and tried to bring him to the ground but just slipped off whilst wacking his face into the said blokes hip, taking himself to ground holding his face and the other guy just waltzing off.
You could see the intent of Murph but just not strong enough to carry it out. It actually looked a little embarrassing. :-[
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #7
Hate to say it but Fev wouldn't let anyone stand over our blokes and quite often deployed a few standover tactics himself. Love him or hate him, he was the heart of the side.

The culture and improvement of the side has been nothing short of remarkable since his departure.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #8

The culture and improvement of the side has been nothing short of remarkable since his departure.

Hey at least Greg Swann got what he always wanted! :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9

He did well against Essendon though...

Reply #10
Another of my favourite hobby-horses, the need to recruit some more thugs, toe-cutters & standover merchants.

Robinson showed that he is prepared to stand up for his team-mates but he doesn't do it enough. Last year he stood between Gibbs & five Essendon bozos and basically said, "if you want to get to him you have to go through me first", he also held them off physically.

Where was this attitude on Sunday night ??

The word "team" means united or "as one", well it does to me anyway. I've played cricket & footy all of my life and it f you are on my team, I play for you and with you regardless of whether I like you as a person. Pull on the jumper or don the cap, and you are one of us.

"United we stand, divided we fall" is a very old but very well known saying that has stood the test of time. Why are our players not adhering to that is completely beyond my comprehension !!

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #11

He did well against Essendon though...

I think you missed the sarcasm in that one EB! ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
That's the scum culture for you.  That Corey D'ollio (?) kid did the same thing to us in his first game as well...  it has been inculcated into them - by results - that they own us and can lord over us with impunity.   Yes, they own us.  Great feeling isn't it?

Ryder does it every time.  Vickery is another.  It's no wonder our little blokes take the odd short step.

Anybody touching Murphy or anybody else should be nailed (and the game provides many fair means of doing that) and a message firmly sent. 

It pains me to say it because another club did it first and it looks like copy cat behaviour, but this club really needs to have a line in the sand moment and go from there.  No more... no more of this crap.... no more watching your teammates get roughed up by nuffies... no more half steps... no more less than 100% efforts.  We can all dream can't we?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13

It certainly has. We have become the well behaved, clean skinned models of gentleman sportsmanship both on and off the field. It's no wonder Essendon's blatant disregard for rules pertaining to use of substances in sport has offended Carlton folk more than any other. Both the AFL and some of our own supporters have well and truly achieved a long fought goal, we are now fully reformed and  re-cultured. It shows.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #14
Bring back Jack
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain