Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 47139 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #180
Thought Rowe was okay too. Not sure why he always gets s#i# canned here?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #181
I thought he more than did his job... if you offered me 1 goal to Riewoldt pre-match I would have locked it in pretty quickly.

Rowe generally halves the contest... ok, maybe he over did the punching last night.

Reply #182
I thought he more than did his job... if you offered me 1 goal to Riewoldt pre-match I would have locked it in pretty quickly.

Rowe generally halves the contest... ok, maybe he over did the punching last night.

Agree, an honest player who contributes. No complaints about Rowe from me.

The punching needs to go. Back yourself in and go for a mark.

Reply #183
How many other players drafted within cooee of him are looking like a player? How many have even played.

He is younger than those same players too.

Jack is the biggest steal from that draft at the pick we got him.

What does he do that special/different?
He doesn't make stupid mistakes.

What does he do wrong??

I'd have to watch the replay but he definitely was caught out of position a few times and chose the wrong option on a couple of other occasions.
But I'll admit I may be guilty of a little reverse bias - the Silvagni name brings with it great expectations. We've had far too many sacred cows at this club recently. Mediocrity has become the norm.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #184
Thought Rowe was okay too. Not sure why he always gets s#i# canned here?

Thought he played defensively ok too.....just lacked the awareness/composure to mark the footy when he had the ball all to himself....like to see him a bit more positive at times.
During the JLT series he marked the ball within kicking range and went for a lollypop kick pass that missed by a mile.... should have kicked the goal...
Point being I think SOSOS has plenty of confidence/composure to back himself in and thats a good trait for a forward...

Reply #185
If I am paying for a Rolex I dont want to be given a stick in the ground with a circle and told they both do the same job.......

That's very disappointing EB1, I'd always thought you were without such biases, a person who calls a spade a spade.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #186
that goal that caddy kicked should never have happened rowe had prime position and let him go past him a good defender does not let that happen watch the replay the hold did not hinder him at all he just panicked he is no good as I said I admire all he has done but he is not the answer in defence.play him forward where he has to mark the ball he is a good kick but he is not a defender

Reply #187
that goal that caddy kicked should never have happened rowe had prime position and let him go past him a good defender does not let that happen watch the replay the hold did not hinder him at all he just panicked he is no good as I said I admire all he has done but he is not the answer in defence.play him forward where he has to mark the ball he is a good kick but he is not a defender
It should have been a free kick to Rowe holding the man.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #188
It should have been a free kick to Rowe holding the man.

+1 if the roles were reversed they would have paid the free to caddy without hesitation.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #189
Apologies if someone has already raised this subject but I don't have time to read all of the previous posts.  Can anyone tell me what the game plan was for at least trying to minimise Martin's impact - other than the comment on the banner.

He was on his own so often that it gave the impression we were hoping he would run out of puff from the amount of ground he covered when collecting and using so much uncontested ball.

At many stoppages play in the second half, our midfielders (Gibbs in particular) looked directly at Martin and then chose to man-up on another opponent whilst directing a younger teammate (e.g. Petrevski-Seton, Macreadie) towards Martin or just leaving him on his own.

BTW - Ed Curnow should be banned from ever passing the ball into the corridor by foot; his efforts to kicking short to a teammate have turnover written all over them. If he has to kick the ball, he should kick long and towards the boundary line.

Reply #190
With the kids I really want to see more pressure. SPS laid an equal team high of 7, but half our team laid 14 tackles between - that is just unacceptable in modern footy and that has nothing to do with skill, and everything to do with mindset.

Tackling is a definite area we need to improve.
Note: 2 doggies players each laid 14 tackles tonight.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #191
Apologies if someone has already raised this subject but I don't have time to read all of the previous posts.  Can anyone tell me what the game plan was for at least trying to minimise Martin's impact - other than the comment on the banner.

He was on his own so often that it gave the impression we were hoping he would run out of puff from the amount of ground he covered when collecting and using so much uncontested ball.

At many stoppages play in the second half, our midfielders (Gibbs in particular) looked directly at Martin and then chose to man-up on another opponent whilst directing a younger teammate (e.g. Petrevski-Seton, Macreadie) towards Martin or just leaving him on his own.

BTW - Ed Curnow should be banned from ever passing the ball into the corridor by foot; his efforts to kicking short to a teammate have turnover written all over them. If he has to kick the ball, he should kick long and towards the boundary line.

Said it previously that Martin scares our blokes and no one wanted to mix it with him....last time I saw that with a player was with Barry Hall who had our blokes jumping out of his road as he crashed through feeble tackles.
Hope Bolton addresses this issue and demands his senior players take responsibility, we need to recruit a couple of tougher players who can provide  what we lack and at least stand up when needed.
Its not about fighting or whacking blokes like Martin but showing that he can be tackled and hurt by our blokes..watched the game with some Essendon supporting family friends and they thought it was hilarious how Martin had so much time to do what he liked and how our blokes avoided him...just embarrassing IMO..

Reply #192
I found it interesting today how full of praise 'non Carlton' workmates etc. were of our performance last night, especially our youngsters. Is it pity (no one has sympathy for Carlton!!) or is it genuine?  Maybe things look different through other eyes!!

Reply #193
I found it interesting today how full of praise 'non Carlton' workmates etc. were of our performance last night, especially our youngsters. Is it pity (no one has sympathy for Carlton!!) or is it genuine?  Maybe things look different through other eyes!!

We played an honest match and the Tigers were flat track bullies last night.

Some of our kids were good, others not so good, but a good side would have won by 10 goals against us and I thought we did well to keep it to 40 odd points for most of the game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #194
I am surprised by the Jack doubters.

For a kid who was absolutely bottom age last year I see a hell of a lot to like. I stick to my early call that I think he will be the best kid (eventually) from that draft, including Weiters who is going to be a champ (and a lot sooner than Jack).

MBB If Dale Thomas was 19 and played the game Jack played there is no chance I would be calling for his head.

I think he will be our number 1 forward by the end of the year, I reckon he might end up a big strong unit like his old man.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL