Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 VFL Practice match Carlton vs Richmond (Read 11633 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 VFL Practice match Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
Caught up with Baggers, Amers and RiverRat; what a crew  8)

No sign of Crash in his blue suit.

It was good to see you guys! It's always nice to be able to put a face to a name!

A good summary Baggers, Mackay was the obvious standout. Polson and Fisher probably the next
 best of the young guys, still a way off senior selection I would imagine though.

Of the older guys, A. Slivagni did  his job well, took several good marks, Jones took a couple of good grabs, but drifts out of the game too often, Sumner very quiet, Buckley was running around looking for cheap disposals, Boeky I hardly noticed, Palmer was better than most, Cunningham has some amazing skills, what's missing is something between the ears, if he can get that right.....!!

I was actually more impressed with a couple of the NB boys than many of the senior listed players. Number 11 and 20 both had a real dip I reckon, I have no idea who they were?! Crash?
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #31
Neither do I yet. There was no sheet with numbers that the clubs did not print off, so I was not privy to that information. But there were some good signs.

We were smashed in the middle, even though Polson and Fisher looked promising. Maric took control, and Richmond got the ball forward. We basically counter-attacked for the whole game (and turned it over). Our kicking was goal was positively faecal.

Liam Jones did some very nice things, but he frustrates with his kicking.
Harry McKay should have had 7 or 8 goals. He took good marks and had shots, but keep missing.
The whole team was guilty of that. I couldn't count the number of out on the fulls - just too many of them, including 3 in a row at one point.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #32
As suggested in another thread, Alex Silvagni could be the saviour ... for the NBs. 

His experience really showed and he stopped many of Richmond's attacks.  He also didn't hesitate to throw his weight around when things got a little willing.  I think that he will do very well in the NBs and will be able to pass on the benefit of his experience to the younger boys.

I can't see him getting a run with the seniors unless we lose a couple of defenders to injury.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33
Neither do I yet. There was no sheet with numbers that the clubs did not print off, so I was not privy to that information.

Given that the club made an effort by emailing members about the practice match and posting the list of players in the squad, it would not have taken much more thought to provide numbers with that list.  >:(

Reply #34

Graham was probably our best. Palmer did his job. Both are triers who give consistent effort and play up to their available ability.

Good news: Harry McKay, finally saw him in full flight. Actually took ahold of the game in the 3rd qtr. Covered a lot of ground taking marks on the wing as well as up forward. Looked really good. Showed why he was drafted.

Encouraging: Silvagni, Polson, Kerr, Fisher - agreed but I wouldn't expect the 3 youngsters to push for senior selection in the next few weeks.

Jaksch was okay when he could run straight at the aggot. He appears to be a lead-up forward who can take a mark (or a free kick) when the ball is well delivered - not so much of that at Ikon Oval ATM.

Jones took some very good grabs, more stuff for his highlights reel. Has the leap to take a turn in ruck, which he did, so he could get some senior games in a similar role if injuries demand it.

Concerned: Cuningham. He did some really impressive, creative things including the steal of the century which resulted in a goal. Great disposal. But then he lets himself down with a lack of intensity, poor defensive skills and has the questionable gift of going missing whilst on the field! Not quite so concerned: I like his ball handling, anticipation and disposal skills; he can also tackle but is not a spontaneous defensive player (could be coached) and appears skittish if required to make any sort of contest when the ball is in the air.

JGM, very average. About right.

Buckley, so so. Should do much more.

Korcheck, the big fella laid some really impressive tackles... but dropped some easy marks... Is a better tap ruckman than Setanta (very low bar) but inferior in all other respects.

Sumner, ordinary. Good impression of the invisible man.

Also Boekorst - yet to live up the the standard set by Kane Lucas.

Reply #36
Also Boekorst - yet to live up the the standard set by Kane Lucas.

:)) :)) But he does have something that was missing from Lucas - man bun!  ;) ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #37
re: Cunningham....pulls the handbrake on if he thinks he is going to be contacted hard, is that what we are saying?
I wasnt at the game but his attack on the footy was questioned lasts seaosn if I remember right and thats something you usually can fix...

Reply #39
re: Cunningham....pulls the handbrake on if he thinks he is going to be contacted hard, is that what we are saying?

As far as my observations are concerned, his apparent timidity seemed to be largely limited to overhead marking contests. He either loses his bearings or doesn't want to risk getting crunched with the end result being that he doesn't actually make it a contest.

IIRC Murphy was not so different in his early days and, whilst he is still not a massive threat overhead (definitely not in the Kade Simpson category), he at least puts his body on the line since he gained strength and experience; maybe Sneaky Bacon will make similar improvements.

Reply #40
As far as my observations are concerned, his apparent timidity seemed to be largely limited to overhead marking contests. He either loses his bearings or doesn't want to risk getting crunched with the end result being that he doesn't actually make it a contest.

IIRC Murphy was not so different in his early days and, whilst he is still not a massive threat overhead (definitely not in the Kade Simpson category), he at least puts his body on the line since he gained strength and experience; maybe Sneaky Bacon will make similar improvements.

Thanks for that RR....Cunningham is a player we need to make it IMO and I wasnt disappointed in his debut last season, reckon his issues could be fixed by more senior footy where he might feel less inclined to pull out
of hard marking contests on the senior stage....

Reply #41
Thanks for that RR....Cunningham is a player we need to make it IMO and I wasnt disappointed in his debut last season, reckon his issues could be fixed by more senior footy where he might feel less inclined to pull out
of hard marking contests on the senior stage....

Not a complete package as yet but he has the skills to give me hope.

Reply #42
When people handball it to you the ground you are going to have handling issues. Murphy cost us that goal, not Daisy.

Daisy had 5 I50's, a goal and a goal assist. Was far from the worst bloke out there.

Rewatch the last few minutes of the game. Tigers running the ball on the near side wing, tight to the boundary. I forget who it was but there was some carlton bloke jogging along behind him and the ball. Daisy comes flying past him to put the pressure on. Doesn't get a stat, but gives effort 100% of the time.
That's why he is in the side. To show the kids effort is unconditional.

Nobody is saying he is still a gun footballer. He is paid more than he should be, but that is not Daisys fault. Judge him on what he does on the ground, not his paycheque.

@Baggers...
VFL form doesn't translate to AFL form.
I'm talking effort at AFL level. All those players i've mentioned have put in terrible efforts at AFL level in terms of body language and effort.
The player he ran past was White, say no more... ::)
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #43
When people handball it to you the ground you are going to have handling issues. Murphy cost us that goal, not Daisy.

Daisy had 5 I50's, a goal and a goal assist. Was far from the worst bloke out there.

Rewatch the last few minutes of the game. Tigers running the ball on the near side wing, tight to the boundary. I forget who it was but there was some carlton bloke jogging along behind him and the ball. Daisy comes flying past him to put the pressure on. Doesn't get a stat, but gives effort 100% of the time.
That's why he is in the side. To show the kids effort is unconditional.

Nobody is saying he is still a gun footballer. He is paid more than he should be, but that is not Daisys fault. Judge him on what he does on the ground, not his paycheque.

@Baggers...
VFL form doesn't translate to AFL form.
I'm talking effort at AFL level. All those players i've mentioned have put in terrible efforts at AFL level in terms of body language and effort.

Love the committed defense of Daisy there.

He strikes me as someone who is desperately trying to make up for his complete and utter lack of general AFL footballing ability by chasing hard.

At the end of the day it's time to move on from Daisy / White / Dennis.

Reply #44
Love the committed defense of Daisy there.

He strikes me as someone who is desperately trying to make up for his complete and utter lack of general AFL footballing ability by chasing hard.

At the end of the day it's time to move on from Daisy / White / Dennis.

x2...wont be this season though.....