Skip to main content

Poll

Who would you like to see as the next Captain of the Carlton football club?

Patrick Cripps
[ 39 ] (66.1%)
Sam Docherty
[ 18 ] (30.5%)
Other
[ 2 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Topic: Next Captain (Read 23765 times) previous topic - next topic

Next Captain

No disrespect to Murphy but a change in the next year or two is probably best for the club

We've had a few threads about this over the last few years but it now seems to be a race in two.

I'm still a Docherty man but Cripps could also be a good option.
Whichever way we go we've probably got a good combination (Captain/ VC) for many years :D

Re: Next Captain

Reply #1
I think there's a pretty strong chance we'll see a new capt next year. I'm not sure who it will be yet but Cripps certainly put his hand up yesterday!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
The people's choice will be Cripps, Docherty will have to be able to give us what Cripps did yesterday or the comparisons will start, the average punter in the street will see Cripps as the clubs best player and real on field leader and boofhead commentators like Jonathan Brown will talk about setting the example every week and in that regard Cripps is going to win because he is a more physical game changing player.....

Reply #3
Yet some were critical of Cripps as stand in captain last week.
He'll no doubt get a run of games now with Murphy's injury so he has a chance to stake a claim ;)

Reply #4
It looks to be a pretty close contest. Both Cripps and Doc are VC's and you would think it would be unusual for them to be gazumped by someone else.

My personal preference is to have the captain behind the play, able to watch the game unfold, on the HB line, like Harley, Hodge and Maxwell. My gut feeling is that Doc probably has a better footy brain than Cripps, but that's guesswork more than anything.

Given Bolton's time spent with Hodge, given his defence first mantra, my inclination is that he may prefer Doc over Cripps.

Reply #5
It looks to be a pretty close contest. Both Cripps and Doc are VC's and you would think it would be unusual for them to be gazumped by someone else.

My personal preference is to have the captain behind the play, able to watch the game unfold, on the HB line, like Harley, Hodge and Maxwell. My gut feeling is that Doc probably has a better footy brain than Cripps, but that's guesswork more than anything.

Given Bolton's time spent with Hodge, given his defence first mantra, my inclination is that he may prefer Doc over Cripps.

Fair logic Paul and I reckon Boltons preference will be Docherty too  but the majority of supporters will want the clubs pin up player Cripps..

Reply #6
If the change of captain were to occur for the 2019 season I'd think they would go for Cripps. Why? Because he is showing leadership qualities now. We cannot be certain that Doc will be at his best so soon after his injury.

If the change of captain were to occur for the 2020 season I'd think they might prefer Docherty. Why? He will be well over his injury issues by them (so I pray) and will have a total pre-season behind him. As mentioned elsewhere, our coaching staff appear to come from defence and Doc would be the leader from there.

I am not convinced that there will be a change of leader, but I would not be surprised: Murphy has grown into the job better than I expected, but he is quite injury prone. I would also be happy if our recruiting had produced a midfield set-up that did not require Murphy all of the time. He would be quite dangerous as a small forward, as he has shown the ability to snap some nice goals in the past.
Of course, that requires our midfield to have enough quality in it NOT to be dependent on Murphy's presence for 60 - 80 % of the game.  Am I dreaming? I don't think I am. I would like to have an elite midfield; we require one for a tilt at the flag. Ours in still a work in progress, with some promise. If we could snaffle a top mid as a free agent or whatever, .... :)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
When Murphy is ready to go, it should be Docherty by a mile!

From what I have heard, if not for injury, Rowe would have been part of the leadership group. I reckon if he has a good remainder of 2018 you might see entering the leadership group to replace ACoS or SpecialK.

Cripps won't survive long at the top if his only response to captaincy is to turn himself into a human battering ram, he needs some physical support and I'm not sure Kennedy is the right type. In much the same way the Dogs didn't make Bontempelli their captain, we need to be careful about how we managed Cripps through his career! Cripps already plays with an intensity that may be detrimental to his well-being.

I realise Docherty is only a year older, but he's a much more polished footballer, he looks like he can play football and deal with the responsibility of captaincy.

Captaincy like revenge is a dish best served brutally cold, Cripps has quite a bit of emotion in his game and that can result in leadership mistakes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Cripps seems like the logical choice atm
He is setting an example for others to follow, which is a massive start.
Exactly what Murphy doesn't do. He cannot exert a physical influence on the game, and like it or not, other players do follow that.
It's easy to call Johnathon Brown a buffoon, but the reality is, he played under one of the toughest captains to play the game, in one of the best sides ever.
He has seen first hand the influence such a leader can have.

We need a change of direction. We need to get more physical. We need to challenge our playing group to become tougher.

That said, why would you not have joint captains?
They could compliment each other well.

Reply #9
We had an example setting captain in Judd and it didn't help us much.

No point setting an example that others cannot follow, the best leaders bring the team with them in a cold and calculating manner. Players like Hodge and Matthews are great examples, but people forget they we not all brutality and fisticuffs, they were actually very good footballers and let their football do the talking early in their careers.

Cripps while playing OK was very chaotic over the last two weeks, he's being sucked in quite a bit by the opposition, it looks like he is trying to initiate trouble and it costs himself and the team. It's no accident he seems to miss out on those obvious frees, umpires are only human and if you make yourself look like a trouble maker they'll judge you accordingly. So for me at the moment Cripps being the captain is detrimental to his performance, I'd love to see him play with that intensity without the responsibility of captaincy. It would be interesting to see what he can do with a genuine chop-out available.

I'm sure the club will keep piling the load on his shoulders to see when he breaks!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Yet some were critical of Cripps as stand in captain last week.
He'll no doubt get a run of games now with Murphy's injury so he has a chance to stake a claim ;)

Yes, I thought Cripps was underwhelming last week but it was a last minute call up.  He was certainly ready to go on Saturday.

I’m not convinced that either of Cripps and Docherty should be our next captain but I don’t see how they show leadership at training, in meetings or around the club and playing group generally.  Judging leadership skills on the basis of an on field performance is fraught.  Cripps certainly played a “captain’s game” against Wet Toast but I’d expect that level of effort from all of our players in every game.

While Cripps can “stake a claim” on the field, Docherty is doing the same through his role with the coaching panel.  However, I suspect that the club’s focus on leadership will mean that the best leader will be the skipper in 2019 and beyond.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Cripps had a quiet game last week but so has everyone Ben Jacobs has tagged this year including Tom Mitchell yesterday.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
The whole team will improve as it develops and learns what is expected of each and every one of them every time they take to the field. The captain's role will become more attuned to that as time goes on so it will hopefully become one of leading a team of seasoned ruthless professionals rather than trying to inspire a bunch of developing kids. Whoever develops into that mould best will probably get the gig.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13
When Murphy is ready to go, it should be Docherty by a mile!

From what I have heard, if not for injury, Rowe would have been part of the leadership group. I reckon if he has a good remainder of 2018 you might see entering the leadership group to replace ACoS or SpecialK.

Cripps won't survive long at the top if his only response to captaincy is to turn himself into a human battering ram, he needs some physical support and I'm not sure Kennedy is the right type. In much the same way the Dogs didn't make Bontempelli their captain, we need to be careful about how we managed Cripps through his career! Cripps already plays with an intensity that may be detrimental to his well-being.

I realise Docherty is only a year older, but he's a much more polished footballer, he looks like he can play football and deal with the responsibility of captaincy.

Captaincy like revenge is a dish best served brutally cold, Cripps has quite a bit of emotion in his game and that can result in leadership mistakes!

I see docherty more in the Murphy mould, neat player and articulate but perhaps not as natural a Leader as Cripps. Cripps exhibits an extreme determination to win and yes he can be careless with his body but I don’t see that as a reason to not appoint him captain.

Either way it’s a good problem to have - one we haven’t had in quite some time!

Reply #14
Cripps seems like the logical choice atm
He is setting an example for others to follow, which is a massive start.
Exactly what Murphy doesn't do. He cannot exert a physical influence on the game, and like it or not, other players do follow that.
It's easy to call Johnathon Brown a buffoon, but the reality is, he played under one of the toughest captains to play the game, in one of the best sides ever.
He has seen first hand the influence such a leader can have.

We need a change of direction. We need to get more physical. We need to challenge our playing group to become tougher.

That said, why would you not have joint captains?
They could compliment each other well.

Sensible and spot on.

There are many types of leadership, but in a gladiatorial sport, a bull at the contest inspires. Whether we like it or not, this is a very emotional game (just look at some of our posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Great leaders inspire and harness that emotion. You can also see that Crippa is very vocal, good. But, like you I'm not too sure that joint skippers isn't a bad idea. In fact, a leader at stoppages/around the ground and a general down back sounds good to me - especially Crippa and the Doc.

On the subject of a bull at the contest, just look how Rowe straightened up our defence with his vigour...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17