Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 24893 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 18: Post Game Partying: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #166
What a crock!

Charlie's hit on May was like hitting a tank with a feather.  Charlie seemed to be trying to avoid the contact at the last minute and he showed concern for May - who milked the incident to ensure the down field free.

On the other hand, May's hit on Ed was premeditated and intended to hurt.

We should appeal this one and show footage of the May hit to demonstrate the inappropriateness of Charlie's penalty; if May gets a week, Charlie should get a fine at worst.
I saw the incident for the first time tonight on the news, from Channel 7. The first thing that came into my mind was that it was careless and clumsy. If Charlie had wanted to take May out, he wouldn't have done what he did: there are simply more effective ways of dealing with May than that.
Getting a week was a bit rough, but the club will have to think carefully about an appeal of some sort.

May, on the other hand, was very deliberate in what he did. How it was called anything else is amazing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #167
Crash as JonHenry mentions, he was also pushed - the news clips aren't showing that.  If he wasn't pushed the speed and angles would be such that he wouldn't have hit May high.

Reply #168
How was May's incident judged as careless? If that's not deliberate what is?

Reply #169
Lets assume that 30 touches today is the same as 25 touches previously. Seems about right to me. That is an increase of 20% on the figures previously.

20% on top of Simpsons early figures are still not up to Polsons figures.
Not sure if that is a fair assumption, but I think there is a certain level of subjectiveness about the comparison that makes it tough anyway (different positions, Simpson wasnt exactly playing in a team of kids, even though he was one whilst Polson is, and whether or not that made it easier or harder for him to get more of the ball, etc).

FWIW, i was never saying Polson is going to be as good as simpson, or had a better start to his career or whatever.
Simply stating that it is too early to make a definitive call on Polson based solely on his possession count at this stage, which some people are doing.

I know, and I am sure thats not what you were trying to say either, and largely this discussion is born from us agreeing on premise, hence why I said there was merit in your underlying point.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #170
Charlie Curnow free to play this weekend....downgraded to a $2000 fine!!!!

Reply #171
Lucky boy ....

Reply #173
Is our luck turning?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #174
Is our luck turning?

Where is the conspiracy nut?

The AFL dropped the ball on this. Surely we are to be used as an example at every opportunity?

:P

Reply #175
I wonder if the present downgrade is some kind of "rebalancing of justice", following Charlie's hysteria charged suspension for giving the umpire tickles and cuddles ?

Reply #176
I'm having a lot of trouble with what constitutes intentional. I'd have have given him a week,  but Howe SHOULD have received three and Zac Jones at least one,  so getting off with a fine for Charlie is about right.   That said,  the balancing is wrong.

May should have got two for the late,  high, INTENTIONAL bump.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #177
Charlie Curnow free to play this weekend....downgraded to a $2000 fine!!!!

I think that's fair enough, particularly with the push that propelled him into May.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #178
I wonder if the present downgrade is some kind of "rebalancing of justice", following Charlie's hysteria charged suspension for giving the umpire tickles and cuddles ?

I think that I suggested that Charlie and Ed would have something in the bank following Dusty's exoneration after more severe contact with an umpire.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #179
I think that I suggested that Charlie and Ed would have something in the bank following Dusty's exoneration after more severe contact with an umpire.

Funny how the AFL were happy to let the nonsense play out when it was Ed Curnow missing a week - but as soon as it was the brownlow medalist suddenly they got all forgetful in having changed the rule mid season and not told anyone about it.... great work from Gil... the big dumb bouffant.