Skip to main content

Poll

Who would you like to see as the next Captain of the Carlton football club?

Patrick Cripps
[ 39 ] (66.1%)
Sam Docherty
[ 18 ] (30.5%)
Other
[ 2 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Topic: Next Captain (Read 24014 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next Captain

Reply #121
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018-05-03/micd-up-patrick-cripps

I hope we don't leave the captaincy with Murphy or go with Docherty next year. They seem like good players and nice blokes but no offense they don't seem like natural leaders to me. This guy is just that.

How does Cripps compare to the Murphy Mic'd Up?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
I've watched that twice, and whilst he seems like a nice kid, that schtick is borderline irritating.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for team sports.

Reply #123
 ???
WTF was that... :))

Sounds like me at Dapto Leagues Club on a Friday night. ;D

That was a bit of fun but it doesn't tell us a lot other than he seems a friendly bloke and does seem to be controlling events at times.
I'd like to hear him in the serious rough and tumble of a game... but that's not likely.

Reply #124
If the club want fans to make the judgment they post Murphy Mic'd p and Docherty Mic'd Up!

If they don't want to be inclusive of us they won't!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Neil Finn would have been the #2 choice

Reply #127
Cripps' defensive efforts of late have worried me in terms of him being next captain.
He gives the appearance, and i deliberately put it that way as I have no idea what is going on in his mind, of someone who watches his opponent run past while he jogs into the backline. Seen it quite a few times. He is much better defensively when in close quarters.

Reply #128
http://m.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-07-10/gallery-tuesday-training

Watch the video of Docherty.

He's such an impressive bloke.

Yep, I still have Doch as my favorite to replace Murphy.

Cripps is impressive, for his age, but he's got some glaring issues that might make him too easily negated.

I really like Fisher, in another year or two I can see Docherty (C), Fisher (VC), it's not about influence and results but about Fisher's effort and commitment.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
Cripps' defensive efforts of late have worried me in terms of him being next captain.
He gives the appearance, and i deliberately put it that way as I have no idea what is going on in his mind, of someone who watches his opponent run past while he jogs into the backline. Seen it quite a few times. He is much better defensively when in close quarters.

Is he just resigned to not being able to keep up?

Even so, that is probably a negative in the captaincy stakes whether it is deliberate or not!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
He may well be, and that's why I put it in terms of his appearance. Not what you want your team mates seeing from their captain though.

Reply #131
He may well be, and that's why I put it in terms of his appearance. Not what you want your team mates seeing from their captain though.

he wouldn't be the first primo ball winner who was instructed to keep his powder dry for the next stoppage. Jobe Watson was probably the other most recent one who played like that, Diesel was also quite similar. Selwood also tends to be a bit that way!

If Cripps could distribute like those three we wouldn't give a rats ar5e!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
Theres an old saying.

A man has to know his limitations.

Cripps not chasing might simply be that hes at the end of his current burst on ground, and needs a breather, or it could simply be an energy conservation approach.

I think any trends regarding this aspect of anyones game this season is not worth looking at because we have players going down every week, and seem to be -20 on rotations at many of our matches.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #133
Theres an old saying.

A man has to know his limitations.

Cripps not chasing might simply be that hes at the end of his current burst on ground, and needs a breather, or it could simply be an energy conservation approach.

I think any trends regarding this aspect of anyones game this season is not worth looking at because we have players going down every week, and seem to be -20 on rotations at many of our matches.

You have to ask yourself a question Thry...has Cripps ever chased?

Opposition teams always man Cripps at the stoppage then run off him and play wide knowing he wont go with them........he doesnt have the tank or speed to chase and in his case he gets excused like Selwood, Greg Williams etc...he is a champ at what he does well and we need him fit at every stoppage not buggered from providing some useless chase that he will never be successful at anyway.
Problem arises when that man on him at the stoppage who runs off him(may not be the same man) gets a lot of the ball or is damaging and you have to way up the pros and cons....you virtually have an opposition player unmanned for the game. Now if thats a good player like a Pendlebury/Bontempelli etc you can get into trouble....

Reply #134
You have to ask yourself a question Thry...has Cripps ever chased?

Opposition teams always man Cripps at the stoppage then run off him and play wide knowing he wont go with them........he doesnt have the tank or speed to chase and in his case he gets excused like Selwood, Greg Williams etc...he is a champ at what he does well and we need him fit at every stoppage not buggered from providing some useless chase that he will never be successful at anyway.
Problem arises when that man on him at the stoppage gets a lot of the ball or is damaging and you have to way up the pros and cons....

It's true EB1, but if the team-mates of Selwood, Watson and Diesel had failed to cover for them they would get burnt as well!

To me it's says we are in self-preservation mode, a bunch of individuals, rather than working as a team.

It may be a strike against Cripps as a potential captain, but it's probably an even bigger issue for the coach!
The Force Awakens!