Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal (Read 30872 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal

Reply #165
That assumes we'll always be in the lowly position we're in at the moment ;)
Unfortunately Lods it almost 20years now and they (AFL) keep poking us with pitch forks.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #166
Unfortunately Lods it almost 20years now and they (AFL) keep poking us with pitch forks.

Without taking this too far off topic that's a large part of the problem.

The AFL at the time of the salary cap scandal hit us over the fence.
Subsequently we took a stance of appeasement and co-operation.
Under the administration following Elliott we bent over backwards to be the good guys.
It was yes sir , no sir, three bags full sir!
Where is our sword so we can throw ourselves on it!

It's a tradition we've continued to follow...apart from perhaps a brief period under Pratt
We're still a shy, quiet, submissive club
That's a bit complicated by the rebuilding process we're currently undergoing but I suspect we're perceived by the AFL as a club you can clip around the ears and we won't give a yelp.

So if an example needs to be made (don't touch an umpire) Carlton are the 'go to' club.
They're down in the dumps
They're not challenging for a finals position.
...and they'll cop it quietly.
Would they expect the same response from a Geelong or Hawthorn?
I doubt it.

But because that's the way it is now doesn't mean it's the way it always has to be.
As we toughen and mature on-field it may be that we also have to toughen and mature in the board room.

Reply #167
Very hard to climb a ladder when you continuously allow the person ahead of you to stand on your fingers.

Our golden opportunity to progress was while Fitzpatrick was in charge, but he was too moral and professional to follow in the footsteps of his predecessors and act in a biased manner!

We may be able to take the moral high ground in recent times, but the rest will still be laughing at us!

Fair has nothing to do with success in the AFL!

Surely people realise this;

- After the CheatsFC saga!

- Every time a Scott gets in the media preempting one of their players being reported, and they get off despite the blunt video evidence!

- When CheatsFC beg for AFL financial support after spending millions litigating against the AFL, and get it!

- When a CHF leaves Carlton with zero compensation to finish in Norps top four goal kickers four years running!

- When despite being the highest rating broadcasts for the AFL, the media want Carlton removed form prime time fixture, and the AFL do it!

- When the AFL send Carlton memos about the clubs AFLW game style, despite that structure being mirrored at many other clubs!

- When despite being handed a penalty consistent with 5 out of the last 6 MRP/Tribunal decisions, the AFL appeal the Carlton penalties.

Good on Maclure, there is not enough of it, if you are going to be stoned anyway you may as well throw some rocks back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168

So if an example needs to be made (don't touch an umpire) Carlton are the 'go to' club.
They're down in the dumps
They're not challenging for a finals position.
...and they'll cop it quietly.
Would they expect the same response from a Geelong or Hawthorn?
I doubt it.

Thing is Lods, neither of those two clubs have to cop anything. See Selwood hit on Lindsay Thomas (thrown out) Mitchell elbow to Goldsteins head (fine) and that's only this year!

The double standards, inconsistencies and just plain wrong calls the AFL continue to roll out are diabolical. It shouldn't be that hard.

Reply #169
Very hard to climb a ladder when you continuously allow the person ahead of you to stand on your fingers.

Our golden opportunity to progress was while Fitzpatrick was in charge, but he was too moral and professional to follow in the footsteps of his predecessors and act in a biased manner!

Nothing moral about Fitzpatrick, he was too busy with his nose in the trough organising games at stadiums that he owned or was trying to buy.
He couldn't give a flying fark

Reply #170
Hilarious...Whately knew Sellers was furious with him too, nearly sh.t a brick at the end & Flubbo was very very sheepish sitting next to him, worried, no doubt that if he opened his mouth, he would have copped a backhander to the mush ;D

Not surprised in the slightest, I hope Sellars, off camera, called them on their disappointing behaviour.

I confess to being surprised by Whateley's seeming covert venom toward the CFC/Curnow boys (thinly disguised as something else). I always saw Whateley -- until now -- as intelligent, articulate and measured in his comments but he was clearly (in a passive/aggressive way) angry. His comments around the Curnow's decision, 'I thought I knew ...etc... but clearly I know nothing...' or words to that effect, are just childish and tantrumesque. If he didn't agree with the decision he should have simply been an adult and said that up front, instead it's come across as deeply personal against our club and the 2 players concerned. Resorting to drama/theatrics is really disappointing from someone we expect far more objectivity from.

Then Robbo starts crying poor Baguley because of his facial defect (don't know what that is... ) and how that would have been difficult for him growing up... as if this justifies his behaviour. Astounding and puerile perspective.

Not a good week for 360, far too subjective/personal agenda driven. Thought Whateley was more professional that this. From Robbo we expect little else.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #171
Maclure is now and always was a champion for and of the club

If he speaks, I listen.  Might not fit into the PC mould, but never one to shirk it

Reply #172
Not surprised in the slightest, I hope Sellars, off camera, called them on their disappointing behaviour.

I confess to being surprised by Whateley's seeming covert venom toward the CFC/Curnow boys (thinly disguised as something else). I always saw Whateley -- until now -- as intelligent, articulate and measured in his comments but he was clearly (in a passive/aggressive way) angry. His comments around the Curnow's decision, 'I thought I knew ...etc... but clearly I know nothing...' or words to that effect, are just childish and tantrumesque. If he didn't agree with the decision he should have simply been an adult and said that up front, instead it's come across as deeply personal against our club and the 2 players concerned. Resorting to drama/theatrics is really disappointing from someone we expect far more objectivity from.

Then Robbo starts crying poor Baguley because of his facial defect (don't know what that is... ) and how that would have been difficult for him growing up... as if this justifies his behaviour. Astounding and puerile perspective.

Not a good week for 360, far too subjective/personal agenda driven. Thought Whateley was more professional that this. From Robbo we expect little else.

They're talking with supporter emotion (Geelong and Essendon)...when that comes into play off goes your head and on goes a pumpkin...in some cases the pumpkin is a better look ;)

Reply #173
When I used to listen to Grandstand AFL on the radio a few years back, Whateley alongside Tim Lane was very good. He's really gone downhill since, and I don't know why.

Reply #174
When I used to listen to Grandstand AFL on the radio a few years back, Whateley alongside Tim Lane was very good. He's really gone downhill since, and I don't know why.

$s

Soul has been sold. Happens to a lot of people.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #175

I wonder if this stems from the fact that the Curnow brothers are both from the greater Geelong area....
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #176
$s

Yes, perhaps you're right. I was hoping for something that was inevitable and inescapable, like senility syndrome, rather than just greed.

Reply #177
Maclure is now and always was a champion for and of the club

If he speaks, I listen.  Might not fit into the PC mould, but never one to shirk it

I like Maclure too, will stick up for the club but also give the club a whack when it needs it....sometimes can be way off target but his intentions are good IMO...

Reply #178
$s

Agree....got carried away with his position of power too as a media commentator and because he has had a bit of respect in the industry a few people listen to him.

Reply #179

Has like a birthmark or skin lesion type blemish on his bottom lip or chin, looks a bit like a burn scar.

If Lamb was into him about that then it's probably reasonable that Baguley fires something back, but not using a dead parents murder as ammunition. But I have doubts about the Flubbo assertion, because Baguley's physical appearance is dead set obvious yet it was the 3rd or 4th version of events offered in defense of this actions. You'd think he'd be on the front foot given he's had this issue for a long time, Baguley wouldn't be new to dealing with it.
The Force Awakens!