Skip to main content
Topic: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal (Read 30872 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues Brothers trip to the tribunal

Reply #135
So the AFL is saying the AFL Tribunal is incompetent.

Yep. I laughed at that. That isn't going to piss them off at all.

Who appointed the tribunal? I'm assuming the AFL will sack whoever was in charge of that appointment given their ability to make a decision is "manifestly inadequate"  >:D

Reply #136
Hocking said the AFL had appealed both of the financial sanctions on the grounds that:

no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it the sanction imposed was manifestly inadequate.

Me thinks they will be fine - "no Tribunal acting reasonably"?

Well they just let May off for doing more than ED or Charlie did and which player's contact did all players use in their defence (can't remember) - do we have footage of that?

But "no Tribunal acting reasonably" is an extraordinary high standard to reach/meet.

But will play Sunday imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #137
I'm not sure who else is on the tribunal, but these four former MRP committee members form part of the tribunal panel.

Nathan Burke
Jimmy Bartel
Michael Jamison
Jason Johnson

Last night I believe it was,

Wayne Henwood
Stewart Loewe
Jason Johnson
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
Both Curnows will be rubbed out. The AFL knows the result of an appeal before it decides to appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if the club has already been unofficially advised to prepare for Sunday's game without either Curnow playing. The club will also have been told that if it wants to consider legal action it will not have a Friday night game for 5 years, and will have 14 Sunday twilight games next year. That's how the autocrasy works. I just hope they don't give Ed 2 matches to make an even bigger example, but I don't think that will happen as it will affect future cases. Not much the club can do, but the angle I'd be working on is who are the anonymous minions who look at video of games and highlight incidents for the MRO to look at. There have been numerous examples from this weeks games on social media platforms of players from other clubs (including Essendon) making light contact with their hand on an umpires chest, back or arm, yet these are not even referred to the MRO. Is there bias in this process? I say yes. The only players cited are from Carlton and GCS, and the AFL subsequently find a way to make sure their Gold Coast lovechild club are not disadvantaged

Reply #139
So touching an umpire is a reportable/punishable by suspension offense... unless you're demonstrating something (May)  :o

I can imagine Yarran demonstrating on an umpire what he did to Chapman's head, and walking free. :D

Reply #140
Very good article by Peter Ryan over at The Rage

Not sure I completely agree, I think proportionality would indicate May should have been done like Hawkins and the Curnows fined.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
Very interesting that the article doesn't even mention May. I just drove my son home from footy training and it was being discussed as a contrast between what the Curnows did and what Hawkins did. Again May was not even mentioned. I suspect the AFL have sent a directive to their media partners to not mention the May case any more

Reply #142
Seems like such a major production for a few fairly minor actions. So much discussion, air time, outrage etc. for nothing.

Reply #143
Not nothing, going to cost the Curnows a game of footy

Reply #144
Not nothing, going to cost the Curnows a game of footy

It's an enormous hullabaloo even for a week of footy. Mind you, the Blues Brothers have been on the go for a while, so a bit of siddown time won't go astray.

Reply #145
Extremely disappointing that now many media commentators are beginning to demonize the Curnow boys, and baying for Curnow blood.

The wording of Hocking's referral to the tribunal is inflammatory, unnecessarily exaggerated and almost hysterical (as in hysteria, not humour).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #146
McClure told Whately not to drive through Carlton lol.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #147
And still no one mentions Steven May??

Reply #148

Or maybe they will?.................. >:(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #149

Or maybe they will?.................. >:(

Bloke on the left is hiding out posting rubbish on a footy forum but dont tell anyone.... ;)