Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Votes: Carlton vs Freo; Rd 7 (Read 5094 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Votes: Carlton vs Freo; Rd 7

Reply #15
Just a follow up, we played all 30 players on our AFLW list this year.

List management or picking whoever is fit?

I suspect that playing all players was deliberate; both for our list development and to give marginal players an opportunity of showing their wares to expansion clubs.

It would be interesting to see whether other teams played all or most of their lists.  30 players does seem just a little light on though.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
I suspect that playing all players was deliberate; both for our list development and to give marginal players an opportunity of showing their wares to expansion clubs.

It would be interesting to see whether other teams played all or most of their lists.  30 players does seem just a little light on though.

Since i've got the data on hand.

From our list of 30,
--10 players played every game
Vescio
Pound
Gay
Harrington
S. Hosking
Moody
Stevens
Audley
Downie
Li

--7 players played 2 games or less.
Cochrane (1) - rookie
Attard (1) - played every game last year, 31yo lost form this season got flogged in her only game in R6.
Grieves (2) - rookie
Last (2) - Played a couple of games last year before doing her ACL.
Webb (2) - rookie
Plane (2) - 21yo, played 1 game last year.
Davey (2) - Captain, injured ACL
Keryk (2) - VC last year who struggled for form this season. Was amongst our best last year

So all 3 rookies, our captain and former vice captain among them, along with a certain starter last year.

--Everyone else played 4-6 games.
Some missed through suspension or injury.
Others were 18/19yo's being introduced into the system.

I don't think we played people for playing thems sake.

Reply #17
3 Harris
2 S Hosking
1 Loynes

Reply #18
3. Loynes

2. Harris

1 S.Hosking

Reply #19
So far we've had 8 people vote, and all 8 people have had the same 3 girls in it, albeit differing order.

It just so happens to be the same 3 girls that have been shuffling through the top 3 positions of the B+F ladder all year with any of them capable of winning it going into this vote.

In short, its tight at the top!!

Reply #20
So far we've had 8 people vote, and all 8 people have had the same 3 girls in it, albeit differing order.

It just so happens to be the same 3 girls that have been shuffling through the top 3 positions of the B+F ladder all year with any of them capable of winning it going into this vote.

In short, its tight at the top!!

....and kind of indicates a lack of depth :(
I cant help but feel we gave a bit of that away at the end of last year.
I haven't really followed how they all have gone this year but many of those we moved on featured in our B&F last year.

Reply #21
....and kind of indicates a lack of depth :(
I cant help but feel we gave a bit of that away at the end of last year.
I haven't really followed how they all have gone this year but many of those we moved on featured in our B&F last year.

Nat Exon played well against us when we played the Lions.

Don't think Bella Ayre did much in her move. Still only 19/20 though.

Jakobsson moved into defense at the Dees and did well, injured against us.

Can't remember who else we moved on.

Considering we got Harris and Stevens in, one might win our B+F this year, the other won the pies last year. I'd still do all those trades again.

FWIW, out of our 30 girls, all of which played at least 1 game, 14 of them received at least one vote in our 3,2,1.

Reply #22
Any final voters?

Reply #23
Considering we got Harris and Stevens in, one might win our B+F this year, the other won the pies last year. I'd still do all those trades again.

Yep, especially knowing Harris is only 20 and already a star of the competition.

I hope we can keep them, this year we should start to see some of the foibles of the AFLW Trade and Draft week appear in relation to the very short contracts. I expect weird happenings.
The Force Awakens!