Skip to main content
Topic: Sticking Fat (Read 10783 times) previous topic - next topic

Sticking Fat

WTF is that?
I doesn't make any sense. ???

First time I heard it was around the time Brittain was sacked....and I thought he was being obscene. :D
Only ever heard it related to football.
...and it's getting a bit tiresome.

Re: Sticking Fat

Reply #1
Very true, it was first used by Brittain and since then, the only one to use it again has been Sticks.

Needs to find some new vocabulary like "united" or "show some solidarity" or "commitment".
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2
Very true, it was first used by Brittain and since then, the only one to use it again has been Sticks.

Needs to find some new vocabulary like "united" or "show some solidarity" or "commitment".

I used to cringe at some of our previous coach's abuses of the English language (but at least he didn't try to belittle reporters) and hoped the club would send him off to do a media relations and public speaking course.  I think it's too late for Sticks but please can his replacement be trained in phrases to avoid?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
From BF (Sept 13 2002)

Just heard Britain talk on Fox footy news at the B&F night, he said what I though was "Sticking Fat" about 5 times in 2 minutes. What the hell does it mean?

Seems it's a Britts innovation. Ahead of his time in more than one way! ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #4
It's spelt "phat", but I don't know what it means. ???

Reply #5

It is just a slang term that has evolved to mean stick together as a group, think of it as a odd mix of ingredients being pulled together to form a solid mass, a mob unified!

As for the "phat" version, that is just a variant like "wot", "wit" or "u".
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
From BF (Sept 13 2002)

Just heard Britain talk on Fox footy news at the B&F night, he said what I though was "Sticking Fat" about 5 times in 2 minutes. What the hell does it mean?

It is not a Brittain thing, I believe it has been around since WWI when troups described themselves as huddling together under fire in the fox holes, pits and trenches like fat in a frying pan.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Not sure why Sticking to Lance Whitnall would help anything?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #8
The saying is as LP says, and alludes to us not really sticking together.

This is what we need now.  We do need to stand together.

On this, our cheer squad is visibly lacking something at games, and despite our numbers we visibly are not pulling in big numbers of support, and its been a common theme all season.

We were heavily outnumbered at the ground by both Tigers and Bombers fans, Melbourne almost look like a break even (37000 at the G is pitiful regardless of who we play against but understandable given our current woes) and the Port Adelaide highlighted just how little we care to go to Etihad and a handful of Port supporters were arguably more vocal than the Blues supporters that went to the game.

In short, our club has been hamstrung by the AFL, and our fans have really jumped off the bandwagon.  Chris Judd momentarily turned it around for us and brought some positivity back, but the false positive we appear to have witnessed may well have hurt the club as much as our sanctions did back then.  We have finally woken up to the fact that we have been sold false promises and now it appears as though our fans have stopped turning up again.  Combine that with the Scandel that we have witnessed and just how Elliott and co should have handled it back then and we have the weak thing that we support today...

Im feeling very dissillusioned with AFL footy, and I dont think the AFL can afford to continue whacking our footy club like they have been recently because they are just going to have us turn off en masse.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9

It is just a slang term that has evolved to mean stick together as a group, think of it as a odd mix of ingredients being pulled together to form a solid mass, a mob unified!

As for the "phat" version, that is just a variant like "wot", "wit" or "u".
See reading this forum I never stop learning.  Thanks LP
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #10
From BF (Sept 13 2002)

It is not a Brittain thing, I believe it has been around since WWI when troups described themselves as huddling together under fire in the fox holes, pits and trenches like fat in a frying pan.

Do you have a link to that.....Google it and all you seem to get is obscene references or AFL ones.
I'm not saying it's wrong because apparently it is a term that Brittain's father used to use when Wayne was young, so it obviously goes back a bit.
My Grandfather was in the trenches in WW1...never heard him use that phrase.
In fact I never heard it before Brittain used it and I thought at the time........ what a strange thing to say.

Reply #11
Here we go...... it's New Zealand prison Slang ;D

BOOBSLANG:
A LEXICOGRAPIllCAL STUDY OF THE ARGOT OF NEW ZEALAND
PRISON INMATES, IN THE PERIOD 1996 - 2000

stick v. (also stick (someone) up) to
stab someone. 0 stick fat to be
absolutely loyal and supportive to one's
friend; to hold unwaveringly to one's
beliefs. Note: sticking fat also includes
looking after an inmate's interests from the
outside: 'He's stuck fat with me; he's looking
after the business while the boss is on the
inside.' Sticking fat entails a serious adherence
to the inmate code of ethics (no narking, no
tealeafing, and no lying about the nature of
one's crime).
[1978 NEWBOLD: 'The Real
Staunchie always "sticks fat", he never
compromises his honour to the
compulsions of formal authority' (326).]
stick hard (also stick staunch) = stick
fat.

Reply #12
Good find Lods. I have read a few sites indicating its a loyalty term and having ones back. Just couldn't find a point where it originated from. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #13
Another one I spotted was "They stick together like fat thighs" - OK, maybe not a pleasant thought.  :o
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
Where does one stick fat?