Skip to main content
Topic: R20 Brisbane v Carlton - Battle for the Spoon (Read 27980 times) previous topic - next topic

R20 Brisbane v Carlton - Battle for the Spoon

Friday, 14 August
19:20@Gabba (away)

With Gold Coast coming away with the points against Brisbane last night, the loser will most likely be awarded the spoon at the end of the year.

Brisbane wins and we are then in a race for the lowest percentage (there has been an incredible amount of percentage lost by Carlton already)

Brisbane lose and they'll have locked away last place you'd imagine.

Expect some selection shenanigans.

Re: R20 Brisbane v Carlton - Battle for the Spoon

Reply #1
Will be away for this one, hopefully will settle in at a handy pub. Be interesting, I don't think we'll win tbh.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
The Schache vs. Weitering Cup.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
I think we need to be careful here, all eyes will be on us after our previous tanking history.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
Will be away for this one, hopefully will settle in at a handy pub. Be interesting, I don't think we'll win tbh.

Nil all
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #5
I think we need to be careful here, all eyes will be on us after our previous tanking history.
All we need to do is to pick Jones and Viojo-Rainbow, and maybe Johnson (although he does have a go). Then we won't be able to win, no tanking required.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
We need to play the system and lock in the NO 1 pick to get Weitering and that means tanking.....it may be unpalatable to some but its the reality of the situation we find ourselves in...

Reply #7
Cripps looked to hurt his shoulder in the last few minutes of yesterdays game.....it wouldn't surprise if he didn't come up. ;)

Reply #8
We need to play the system and lock in the NO 1 pick to get Weitering and that means tanking.....it may be unpalatable to some but its the reality of the situation we find ourselves in...

....and lets face it, we've done most of the hard work already. ;D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #9
I can just see it now. The first ever prosecution for tanking in AFL/VFL history. Lose Weltering, or whoever you guys are after. Lose picks. Get fined. Then we can spend the next 20 years bitching and moaning about this and that. And I'll spend my declining years in a sanatorium in the Pyrenees.

Great.

Reply #10
It would be a disaster to work this hard all year and not win the first pick. :P

(From what I've heard pick 2 should get us Weitering anyway, unless Lions snag Dixon)

Reply #11
All we need to do is to pick Jones and Viojo-Rainbow, and maybe Johnson (although he does have a go). Then we won't be able to win, no tanking required.

Just a couple of times yesterday when we were getting on top I noticed Murphy and Cripps benched.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
I can just see it now. The first ever prosecution for tanking in AFL/VFL history. Lose Weltering, or whoever you guys are after. Lose picks. Get fined. Then we can spend the next 20 years bitching and moaning about this and that. And I'll spend my declining years in a sanatorium in the Pyrenees.

Great.

Settle Paul...we wont get fined for tanking as I dont expect to win even with effort but I also expect some changes that will assist our efforts to secure our preferred draft position.
We deserve the best pick we can get given the last three years and we wouldnt be the first team to manipulate where we finish....

Reply #13

Settle Paul...we wont get fined for tanking as I dont expect to win even with effort but I also expect some changes that will assist our efforts to secure our preferred draft position.
We deserve the best pick we can get given the last three years and we wouldnt be the first team to manipulate where we finish....

Players will still have a crack (well, most other teams would) they don't want pick #1 coming in to take their spot in the team. I'd be working my guts out if I was Sam Rowe right now.

Reply #14
I know tanking is very difficult to prove, and I'm sure the AFL would be very wary of setting a precedent, or opening a can of worms. However, they have it in for us, and they didn't get SOS the first time, so who knows ?

Quite apart from this, I don't like what it says about us as a club. But I've stated this before, so i won't repeat it.