Skip to main content
Topic: 2016 Ladder - Going Early (Read 19089 times) previous topic - next topic

2016 Ladder - Going Early

Time to stick necks out and see what you think of 2016 before it happens.

1 - West Coast

Have a lot very good players right in the golden part over their careers. Home games means they have 11 games where they start heavy favorites. Redden and Jetta help with depth and speed and McKenzie with join McGovern down back to give genuine key defenders.

2 - Hawthorn

A year older and some significant retirements make them drop, however I can't bring myself to drop them any lower than here. Lake and Hale hurt their structure, Fitzpatrick may be a solid player down back, but that's two Melbourne defenders the last two years....

3 - Freo

Hardest team to read, like WC 11 home games puts them in a good spot, but Sandilands and Pavlich are already old, McPharlin is gone and their key position stocks are thin. Bennell is a talent but is he disciplined enough to get them the next step?

4 - Bulldogs

I rate this side, talent galore, young leaders and a core group that wants to be more than just AFL players. Suckling and Adcock are strange additions, pretty much replicating what is already there. If Boyd can stop thinking he's the greatest player and start playing like one then they are a scary proposition.

5 - Port

Another hard team. I like what they have done since Hinkley has come along, Wingard is my favorite non Carlton player in the league. They have a great starting centre square, a quality forward half and now a stud with Dixon at FF that has been missing since Marky Mark retired. 

6 - Gold Coast - Their improvement comes from returning players and cutting away some cancers. If they can get their best players on the park then they are a 12 win team at least. They young KP players are now starting to come into their own at both ends, not sure How Grant and Rosa fit in but they will give depth.

7 - Collingwood - Any team that gets Treloar at that sort of money has to serious about finals. It used to be Pendlebury or bust in the middle but Treloar addition will give opposition coaches a nightmare. Swann and Cloke are sliding away from their best, Moore is a gun in the making and Howe should give a hard to match 3rd tall.

8 - Sydney - A transition year, Goodes, Pyke, Bird and Jetta gone and who knows what will happen with Buddy. Richards down back is OK Talia helps but he's no star. Aging stars, young guns coming through but nothing too flash. One and done for the finals.

9 - Richmond - The joy of being a Carlton supporter is to put Richmond 9th on a speculative ladder. Yarran will probably star in 2016 (2017 will be another story) but they haven't addressed their failing and that's heart Yarran has none and very few of their players have shown any when it counts.

10 - Geelong - Yes they have Dangerfield but this side is finally broken. Their future hall of fame players are gone or the wrong side of 30, Selwood seems battered, Hawkins is basically an old man with his back, Clarke could break down at any time and their list is so fragile injury wise I can't see them getting more than 10 wins.

11 - North - Dads Army. When your most dangerous player is nearly 40 and the forward line is closer to retiring age than birth you have problems. Little speed around the ball and average disposal skill is still Norths problem, I wonder who their coach will blame when they finish 11th?

12 - Giants - Consolidation year. They lost some players and other want out, not a great way to start a year when your pushing for finals. Still have question marks down back and Stevie J may struggle with the kick it long to the gun forwards game plan.

13 - Adelaide - Loss of Dangerfield and the rest of the quality mids are aging. Third head coach in 3 years, so more learning. Might be a bit harsh with this position as they have some nice developing flankers but the missed draft picks will be starting to hurt about now.

14 - St Kilda - Probably a bit low but I need to see if Bruce can reproduce 2015 and Riewoldt still can do it too. Nice players around the ground and Carlisile really helps stiffen up the defense on paper at least. If Freeman gets healthy and plays it adds a dimension they don't have either.

15 - Melbourne -  Has the makings of a very good team. Solid defense, building a blue chip midfield and could have a very dangerous forward line with Hogan and Wiederman. Just need Roos to get out of the way and let the men play.

16 - Carlton - A fresh voice that will hopefully let the tight grip on the players go. Quality additions with Kerrdige and Wright and the GWS quartet could be anything, Gorringe from GC has talent but has he got it between his ears?

17 - Brisbane - With a team full of mids they went and got more Bastinac and Bell but at least added Walker to give a big body up forward while their young KP players develop. Their list looks like Sydney on paper mainly mids with a few KP but the class is not there.

18 - Essendon - I can't see why people are expecting a big leap from Essendon, their best players are 30+ Heppell aside, Carlisle's gone and Daniher might by all hype and no substance. Very solid down back but slow through the midfield and bereft of talent up forward.

Re: 2016 Ladder - Going Early

Reply #1
I'll have a crack but will have another crack in March. But for now...

1. Hawthorn

2. West Coast

3. Port Adelaide

4. Footscray

5. Fremantle

6. Geelong

7. Sydney

8. Adelaide

9. Richmond

10. Collingwood

11. North Melbourne

12. Carlton

13. GWS

14. GCS

15. Melbourne

16. Brisbane

17. St. Kilda

18. Essendon.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
Yep, reckon 11th to 14th is about right for us in '16.

Beat the Tiges in Rd 1 and I reckon we'll make the 8!  :o :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #3
@Baggers

Mate if we could climb to within 2-3 games of the eight that would be a fantastic result!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
EDiT: modified after yesterday's wonderful news

Sorry folks!

1. West Coast
2. Fremantle
3. Hawthorn
4. Richmond
5. GWS
6. Port
7. Sydney
8. Bulldogs
9. North Melbourne
10. Geelong
11. Gold Coast
12. Adelaide
13. St Kilda
14. Collingwood
15. Melbourne
16. Brisbane
17. Carlton
18. Essendon

Reply #5
1. Hawthorn
2. West Coast
3. Sydney
4. Collingwood
5. Freo
6. Port
7. Richmond
8. GWS
9. Geelong
10. Bulldogs
11. North Melbourne
12. Adelaide
13. St Kilda
14. Melbourne
15. Carlton
16. Brisbane
17. Gold Coast
18. Scum
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #6
I'll have a crack but will have another crack in March. But for now...

1. Hawthorn

2. West Coast

3. Port Adelaide

4. Footscray

5. Fremantle

6. Geelong

7. Sydney

8. Adelaide

9. Richmond

10. Collingwood

11. North Melbourne

12. Carlton

13. GWS

14. GCS

15. Melbourne

16. Brisbane

17. St. Kilda

18. Essendon.

I like this ladder. Maybe Port and West Coast 1-2 then the Hawks 3rd. At some point it has to get tougher for the Hawks as it did for Brisbane in 2004. Young, hungry sides are tough to keep at bay.

Reply #7
I'm still cogitating on this but IMO look out for the Cats next year, they could be the big improvers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Sorry folks!

1. West Coast
2. Fremantle
3. Hawthorn
4. Richmond
5. GWS
6. Port
7. Sydney
8. Bulldogs
9. North Melbourne
10. Geelong
11. Gold Coast
12. Adelaide
13. St Kilda
14. Collingwood
15. Melbourne
16. Brisbane
17. Essendon
18. Carlton

x2....swap the Bulldogs and Tigers plus swap Collingwood and Gold Coast and we agree...Dogs recruited some ready made muscle to give them depth and should see a return out of Boyd which will make them dangerous..
We lack size and physicality until our new kids develop......

Reply #9
Some very interesting ladders. I haven't thought about the whole ladder yet, but I do have a few thoughts.

[1] Carlton: we may not get a huge number of wins, but we will be better than last year if we can keep our list in decent shape. If we get injuries like last year, we will be close to the cellar, but last year was an aberration.

[2] Essendon: I really don't see a lot of improvement in them, except, perhaps, in their intensity. They were devoid of ruckmen last year, so will be depending on Leuenberger. Leuenberger is good enough if he isn't injured (very unlikely) and if he gets his head right. I can't see it. If they get any penalty from WADA, then they are seriously screwed. I will be hoping that is the case, as they really were cheats in a way a can barely believe.

[3] Hawthorn: I really hope teams can find the 'secret' to beating Hawthorn. They have won enough. But I'm not sure they will. It would be nice to see them get injuries like we do for a change as well. Let's see them win a premiership with 22 fit players on their list and only 1 star in 4 available!

[4] Richmond: I don't rate them. That didn't stop them beating teams I thought would kill them. But I wonder what will happen to them if they struggle with injuries: I don't think they have any depth.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
1.   West Coast
2.   Hawthorn
3.   Fremantle
4.   Western Bulldogs
5.   North Melbourne
6.   Port Adelaide
7.   Sydney
8.   Geelong
9.   Richmond
10.   Greater Western Sydney
11.   Collingwood
12.   Carlton
13.   Adelaide
14.   Gold Coast
15.   Melbourne
16.   St Kilda
17.   Brisbane
18.   Essendon
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
I'm still cogitating on this but IMO look out for the Cats next year, they could be the big improvers.

It's all about who played above themselves and who played below themselves last year. Teams like Port and Collingwood who are clearly great teams but finished out of the eight will improve with the easier draw whereas your Footcrays and Radelaides may struggle.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13
Cats might have a better 2016 but I reckon they will fade quickly - they have zero depth.  Other than Dangerfield they recruited little but coughed up a lot and sold their future to assemble a list that looks shallow and has questionable upside.

Norf are another mob that are waaaaaaaaaay over rated.  Can't believe the dream run they get with the football media.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #14
Last two prelim finals Prof, they are going okay.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!