Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Ikon (Read 27782 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Ikon

There hasn't been a VFL game at Carlton for some time now, but that changes this Sunday at 1400. The Baby Blues face up to might of Frankston, a team we pounded by 25 goals last year.
I do not expect the same result: Frankston are going OK while Northern are lacking a lot of experienced bodies and no small number of Carlton listed players.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 9: Northern Blues vs Frankston at Ikon

Reply #1
Not sure where else to post this but gee whiz it appears KJ needs to pull up his socks in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Josh Fraser gave an overview of each of the players who hadn't yet played AFL.

This is what was said of KJ "He’s provided a consistent target for us forward and worked early in tandem with Liam Jones. He’s been used as a defender on occasions as we try to round his game out in different positions, and he’s also shown an ability to mark in the air and provide pressure on the ground. He continues to make improvements in his game. "

Compare that to SOS. "He’s a really lively forward, he’s always on the move and can present up the ground and into dangerous space. He’s also applied relentless pressure, he has some real tricks and has also missed some footy, which I guess is quite exciting because we’re looking forward to what he can put together when he has an extended run at it. We haven’t been surprised by what he’s put together, but definitely excited by it."

He was even more positive about DVR despite his form tapering off. Clearly KJ has it all in front of him.

Reply #2
Not sure where else to post this but gee whiz it appears KJ needs to pull up his socks in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Josh Fraser gave an overview of each of the players who hadn't yet played AFL.

This is what was said of KJ "He’s provided a consistent target for us forward and worked early in tandem with Liam Jones. He’s been used as a defender on occasions as we try to round his game out in different positions, and he’s also shown an ability to mark in the air and provide pressure on the ground. He continues to make improvements in his game. "

Compare that to SOS. "He’s a really lively forward, he’s always on the move and can present up the ground and into dangerous space. He’s also applied relentless pressure, he has some real tricks and has also missed some footy, which I guess is quite exciting because we’re looking forward to what he can put together when he has an extended run at it. We haven’t been surprised by what he’s put together, but definitely excited by it."

He was even more positive about DVR despite his form tapering off. Clearly KJ has it all in front of him.

Two really positive overviews there. Both will play soon.

Reply #3
That's not how I read the write up on KJ, certainly not in the context of the others....

Reply #4
Though KJ has had some good press re last game , seems not everyone is buying in to it, especially from a club point of view. Has been a dissapointment so far i believe

Reply #5
That's not how I read the write up on KJ, certainly not in the context of the others....

Damned by faint praise?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
It will be interesting to see who plays this week. With Murphy and Sumner unlikely to be available, there should be 2 possible promotions. Tutt and Graham would probably be the favourites at this time to fill the breach. Especially as both are playing well.

Jamo may well be available, and he probably won't displace White at this point. That means the NBs should have at least 1 mature defender.
Phillips may well be back. He is likely to come back via the VFL, but he may displace Gorringe immediately. Either way the NBs get a tall back.
Liam Jones looks likely to be available for the NBs: he played his best game last year against Frankston (by a LONG way). He is playing reasonably at the moment and will want to impress. Given that Jaksch is already there and performing adequately, the forward line is looking OK.

The issue will be more with the midfield. But NB Captain, Tom Wilson, will be back, which is another 20+ possessions and probably a number of centre clearances. But after him Cunningham and DVR (maybe Smith?) are going to be required to do a lot of work in the midfield. I don't like that, but we will be recruiting mids in November.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
The one I really want to see more of is of course SOS.
I said last year that it would not surprise me if he turned out the very best of all our draftees from this year. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I really like everything I have seen of him so far.

I don't know if he will get a game this year (and doesn't matter if he doesn't of course), but I wouldn't mind seeing him get a hit out against a Brisbane, Gold Coast or Essendon for a game, (as long as he is ticking the boxes in the 2s for his efforts etc).

I did like what Fraser had to say about him though. Also LOVED the long goal against Coburg, which reminded me of how I used to hear way back when I was in school about how the elder SOS could roost them 50 m as a 13 year old. Jack is going to have a MASSIVE kick on him I think.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #8
The one I really want to see more of is of course SOS.
I said last year that it would not surprise me if he turned out the very best of all our draftees from this year. Maybe that is wishful thinking, but I really like everything I have seen of him so far.

I don't know if he will get a game this year (and doesn't matter if he doesn't of course), but I wouldn't mind seeing him get a hit out against a Brisbane, Gold Coast or Essendon for a game, (as long as he is ticking the boxes in the 2s for his efforts etc).

I did like what Fraser had to say about him though. Also LOVED the long goal against Coburg, which reminded me of how I used to hear way back when I was in school about how the elder SOS could roost them 50 m as a 13 year old. Jack is going to have a MASSIVE kick on him I think.

From the little I have seen of Jack, he has the attributes to make it.  Best of all, he has that rare commodity; time, in which to sum up the situation, make a good decision and execute well. 

I would be surprised if he doesn't crack it for a game before the year is done, but there's no hurry.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
Though KJ has had some good press re last game , seems not everyone is buying in to it, especially from a club point of view. Has been a dissapointment so far i believe

He has been playing very good footy all year in the VFL. Has little inconsistencies in-game at times but that'll sort as he's still young. 3 games where he's kicked 3,3 and 4 goals, then there's been some very good games in defence, previous to last game where he got 20 touches and 6 marks. His contested marking isn't far of Casboult's and he can kick.  Should've been playing long ago.

Reply #10
He has been playing very good footy all year in the VFL. Has little inconsistencies in-game at times but that'll sort as he's still young. 3 games where he's kicked 3,3 and 4 goals, then there's been some very good games in defence, previous to last game where he got 20 touches and 6 marks. His contested marking isn't far of Casboult's and he can kick.  Should've been playing long ago.

But that's not what his coach says.  Fraser has made it clear that JK has not been playing at the level required.  It is pleasing that he now seems to have given the extra effort and was rewarded by inclusion in the 25 for our last game.

If he can continue to produce that effort, he should have a reasonable career ahead of him.  My only concern is that he seems to have been slow to adapt to the Bolton approach.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
KJ has been unlucky IMO...Gorringe had not exactly been braining the opposition in the NB's but got a chance due to injuries and I'd like to see KJ given some senior game time as his form has been reasonable even though he perhaps has not been achieving all the goals/indicators being set for him.
Sometimes players will never light it up in the twos but will lift when they play seniors...too good a player IMO to be just left rotting in the NB's and I want to see some value for that pick 7 given Whiley has proven a failure...

Reply #12
If BB has plans to take a good look at players this year and assess them then I would have thought this week would be a good opportunity to take a look at KJ. If he does't get selected again then you'd have to really wonder about his future with us?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13
If BB has plans to take a good look at players this year and assess them then I would have thought this week would be a good opportunity to take a look at KJ. If he does't get selected again then you'd have to really wonder about his future with us?

They have been putting an awful lot of work into KJ and I doubt that they would bother if he wasn't in their long term plans.  It would be very disappointing if he can't or won't make the extra effort to cement a spot in the 22.

Reply #14
I've got no problems with kids serving an apprenticeship at a lower level, didn't hurt Carlton and the Whorks in the 80's and 90's.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?