Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 21: Post Game Political Solution: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 5630 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 21: Post Game Political Solution: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
And this year is not ridiculously strong.
Compare (for example) the numbers of Burton vs Cripps the year Cripps didn't win it.
The gap is embarrassing.

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #16
I think Charlie is the best kid in the game at the moment, but he can't win it because he didn't get his nomination until late. Long after all the journos have been talking up the front runners.

If they were fair dinkum he should win it, but I predict he won't get a vote

As good as Charlie is Sam Petrevski-Seton's first season has been as good as any that I can remember, and he was great again tonight.
It's scary to think of how good he might be in two or three years.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #17
Weiters also had a bit of attitude in him - he is a bloody good player

Reply #18
Our seniors stepped up tonight. Our second tier players played their role. Our kids were bloody fantastic against hard bodied seasoned  opponents. Samo, Weiters, Charlie, SOJ, Zac, Williamson, Pickett. It's hard to believe they're 1st and 2nd year players (allowing for injuries).

When we add Cripps, Ed, Byrne, Marchbank, Cunningham etc plus a quality mid or two, the future looks bright. Oh, add pick 1 to that...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
Hate,hate,hate potting umps but four goals or more . . . Ffs

Reply #20
West Coast are garbage, they should be bottom 8, without Kennedy and the umps handing him and them goals we would have won that game..
It was a game riddled with errors but had the odd highlights, some of Picketts runs were very good and I even liked Boekhorst's blind turn and delivery..plus boundary line goal.
Charlie Curnow played very well and should be the rising star winner...played on McGovern who is a class act and did very well IMO..

Reply #21
I liked Pickett last night.   I couldn't stop calling him Wilson lay night. ..

Reply #22
Cant fault effort, just the execution, so many little mistakes and the goal kicking in the second quarter. Umpiring decisions were terrible and cost us goals, how was Plowmans mark? Should have been cleared out of the 50 instead the next play phase resulted in a West Coast goal.

How was the attack when we played on? Noticed it worked when our senior players didn't get involved. The really good waves forward used Pickett, SPS, Fisher, Boekhurst, Lamb, Docherty, Silvagni and Charlie. Liked what I saw of Williamson's game too, such a hard runner, saw him on the boundary there one time and the ball spilled out, he was stuffed but he dropped his head bum went up and he ran again.

As mentioned before 7 games where we were either level or ahead in the last quarter just shows that the frame work and coaching is right, we just need the players maturation and experience to catch up. I noticed that Lamb has played 46 games and I consider him to be starting to hit the next level on the field, he will be a crafty player and kicks the ball very well with a real games sense.

Pickett was the player that shone out to me this week, fast hard and deadly. I liked Derms comment in that he looks like he starting to believe. Sure he was drafted 3 years ago but less that 10 games and look what he's starting to do, build the tank, keep running hard both ways and wow! Geelong supporters are snickering about the Touhy trade saying they got a steal for Smedts, but this was the trade that got us Marchbank and Pickett, let's revisit that in three years time shall we?  >:D

SPS is a dancing machine, what he can do in a one meter space defies belief, don't worry about calling him the Falls Creek cowboy, call him Matrix cause it does matter how much you throw at him, you just can't touch him.

Fisher got more of the ball this week but and some of his handballs to advantage were top notch, kicking is still an issue but his best game since his debut one.

I woke up this morning knowing it was a loss but feeling like a bit of a win, our younger players all took a shuffle forward this week, mind you West Coast are crap, overrated, protected in the West and old. Dud team. Are Eagles fans the dumbest in the AFL? No idea of the rules or good play just give us another free ump.

Reply #23
Appreciate the positive reviews people, I detest these games where there is such limited coverage.  Thank you all.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
Pickett was the player that shone out to me this week, fast hard and deadly. I liked Derms comment in that he looks like he starting to believe. Sure he was drafted 3 years ago but less that 10 games and look what he's starting to do, build the tank, keep running hard both ways and wow! Geelong supporters are snickering about the Touhy trade saying they got a steal for Smedts, but this was the trade that got us Marchbank and Pickett, let's revisit that in three years time shall we?  >:D

Pickett was the standout for me. Very strong in the hips. How many tackles did he simply walk through and kept on running.

Definitely starting to get that belief. Hopefully he continues in the last couple games and is full steam ahead for next season.

People forget he was taken @pick 4 and had some injuries before we got out hands on him.

Reply #25
Pickett was the standout for me. Very strong in the hips. How many tackles did he simply walk through and kept on running.

Definitely starting to get that belief. Hopefully he continues in the last couple games and is full steam ahead for next season.

People forget he was taken @pick 4 and had some injuries before we got out hands on him.

I was flicking between the match and Liverpool's match, but I did see one particular passage where he just seemed to shrug his hips and power through a couple tackles. Good to hear has was a shining light. I said this last week, we need to have that pace in the team.

Also why I love when Derm is part of the commentary, him and Roos are the only two who understand the game at a high level, the rest just regurgitate what they see.

Reply #26
I was flicking between the match and Liverpool's match, but I did see one particular passage where he just seemed to shrug his hips and power through a couple tackles. Good to hear has was a shining light. I said this last week, we need to have that pace in the team.

Also why I love when Derm is part of the commentary, him and Roos are the only two who understand the game at a high level, the rest just regurgitate what they see.

Agree about derm, he explains the game well and adds something to the TV picture.

Liked our run last night. We continued to spray it going in but as much of our year has shown, a shoddy forward line is half the problem.much promise from Pickett and Fisher, showing how important getting games into young players is. Same for curnow, SPS, williamson and silvagni.

Beating hawthorn next week would be grand.

Reply #27
There was a five goal gale blowing towards the city end of the ground.

Had we capitalised better on it in the first quarter we would have won. Instead we let the Eagles score against the run of play, and at quarter time down, I knew that it would bite us in the backside.

It speaks for how tough we cracked in during the fourth to make it go to the wire. 

The incorrect disposal rule I've been banging on about absolutely was rubbish.   If you tackle a bloke and he fails to dispose of it with a handball or a kick, it's an incorrect disposal and the ball should be dead, yet the Eagles managed to kick a goal after a teamate was tackled and failed to get boot to ball.

Despicable in the context of how tight this match was.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28

Had we capitalised better on it in the first quarter we would have won. Instead we let the Eagles score against the run of play, and at quarter time down, I knew that it would bite us in the backside.

It speaks for how tough we cracked in during the fourth to make it go to the wire. 

The incorrect disposal rule I've been banging on about absolutely was rubbish.   If you tackle a bloke and he fails to dispose of it with a handball or a kick, it's an incorrect disposal and the ball should be dead, yet the Eagles managed to kick a goal after a teamate was tackled and failed to get boot to ball.

Despicable in the context of how tight this match was.

Shades of the 2011 semi final. Seems to happen a lot over there. Maybe they have a different rule book.

Reply #29

Had we capitalised better on it in the first quarter we would have won.

In a nutshell.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17