Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Pre Game Peril: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 15457 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Pre Game Peril: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #15
Byrne for Armfield is the only change I can see unless Marchbank is good to go in which case he'd probably replace Smedts.
Boekhorst and Pickett probably did enough to hold their spots.
I reckon this is 50/50, Hawthorn aren't what they were and are missing a few good players.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #16
Byrne for Armfield is the only change I can see unless Marchbank is good to go in which case he'd probably replace Smedts.
Boekhorst and Pickett probably did enough to hold their spots.
I reckon this is 50/50, Hawthorn aren't what they were and are missing a few good players.

The Hawks are tenacious if nothing else - we need to match that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #17
The Hawks are tenacious if nothing else - we need to match that.

Our tenacity isn't a problem, our problem is running out games.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #18

Our tenacity isn't a problem, our problem is running out games.

We are definitely prone to lapses. That's still a problem in my book as we get behind and then have to play catch up. And dropping your bundle and not running out games is a sign of a lapse in tenacity also, surely?  ???

Reply #19
We are definitely prone to lapses. That's still a problem in my book as we get behind and then have to play catch up. And dropping your bundle and not running out games is a sign of a lapse in tenacity also, surely?  ???

I don't think that we drop our bundle, I think that due to the number of youngsters in the side we lack stamina and can be overrun late in games, physical tiredness also leads to mental lapses. 
It will be less of a problem next year and won't be an issue in 2019, meanwhile we just have to be patient.

Reply #20
I don't think that we drop our bundle.

I agree, I think Charlie Curnow shows the exact opposite, he looks like he wants the kick that makes some other players wobble! Charlie has an "Air of the Duck!" about his play!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
Our manning up is poor, Tom Mitchell will get 40 plus possies unless some of our mids get accountable, its the same most weeks, our blokes get their 25-30 possies but so do the opposition and they just use the ball better in the big moments.
The Simpson/Docherty rebound side show is also over...players like Bruest will need a direct opponent, not someone who is kick chasing and playing too far off their man...
I'm going to the game with my son and  some of the inlaws who are Hawks supporters so I will be watching the tactics closely and getting an idea of who is and isnt doing their job...

Reply #22
I don't think that we drop our bundle, I think that due to the number of youngsters in the side we lack stamina and can be overrun late in games, physical tiredness also leads to mental lapses. 
It will be less of a problem next year and won't be an issue in 2019, meanwhile we just have to be patient.

Hopefully we will be better next year.

I am not arguing over the reasons/causes but, use whatever words you like (semantics), the important thing is we can't always see things through for the whole game atm and that's a major cause as to why we have had problems winning. We need to be more tenacious and that will require more physical and mental maturity and conditioning. We'll get there I have no doubt.

From what I've seen of the Hawks this year, even though they may be struggling in relative terms, if we have such lapses on Sat, they will most likely punish us.

Reply #23
Our manning up is poor, Tom Mitchell will get 40 plus possies unless some of our mids get accountable, its the same most weeks, our blokes get their 25-30 possies but so do the opposition and they just use the ball better in the big moments.
The Simpson/Docherty rebound side show is also over...players like Bruest will need a direct opponent, not someone who is kick chasing and playing too far off their man...
I'm going to the game with my son and  some of the inlaws who are Hawks supporters so I will be watching the tactics closely and getting an idea of who is and isnt doing their job...
Im being selfish here but Im am in our Fantasy Footy GF this week and I need a big one from Tommy this week ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
Hopefully we will be better next year.

I am not arguing over the reasons/causes but, use whatever words you like (semantics), the important thing is we can't always see things through for the whole game atm and that's a major cause as to why we have had problems winning. We need to be more tenacious and that will require more physical and mental maturity and conditioning. We'll get there I have no doubt.

From what I've seen of the Hawks this year, even though they may be struggling in relative terms, if we have such lapses on Sat, they will most likely punish us.

Agree with your assesment , as much as I'd love another win for the season just can't see it happening.
It may not be a bad thing tatically for this trade period and draft. We'e fading a little, as injuries  are taking toll and the kids are  tired.
2018 will be a great , additional elite talent coming in, hopefullu will  rectify the midfield and next year  Ben Silvagni and perhaps  one of the King brothers will spell the end of our KPF woes.
Go Baggers
Nest

Reply #25
Gibson has announced his retirement!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Gibson has announced his retirement!
There is a fair team forming there (with more to come)

FB Gibson   
HB Hodge   Murphy
C  Thompson Mitchell   
HF Riewolt   
FF Stevie J   White   
R Maric Priddis Watson*

Int Armfield      

Coach Eade      
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
There is a fair team forming there (with more to come)

FB Gibson   
HB Hodge   Murphy
C  Thompson Mitchell   
HF Riewolt   
FF Stevie J   White   
R Maric Priddis Watson*

Int Armfield      

Coach Eade

Not sure Eade has retired, but Neil Craig has.

Reply #28
Not sure Eade has retired, but Neil Craig has.

I think I read somewhere that Eade said he is done with coaching, but not sure if he would consider other roles.