Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Pre Game Peril: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 15281 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Pre Game Peril: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #46
We're not making finals, the game is of little importance to the Club.......why drop Armfield & deny him a final home game in Melbourne?

Pretty ordinary call by the MC imo.......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #47
We're not making finals, the game is of little importance to the Club.......why drop Armfield & deny him a final home game in Melbourne?

Fair question Brettie. Not dissimilar to the Fisher and Houlihan scenarios.

Reply #48

Have we ever had an official farewell game for a player?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #49

Oh contraire ze Brettie. The game is enormously important, in many respects... maybe not re finals, but certainly in every other way. We're building a culture which certainly seems to put team first. I do take your point but think that perhaps last week, in front of his home/family, was a really fitting way for Den Den to bow out.  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
Oh contraire ze Brettie. The game is enormously important, in many respects... maybe not re finals, but certainly in every other way. We're building a culture which certainly seems to put team first. I do take your point but think that perhaps last week, in front of his home/family, was a really fitting way for Den Den to bow out.  :)

I think that's right.

Bolton has stated that the team is selected on form and to go back on that would send the wrong message.  There is room for sentimentality at AFL level, but only when it serves the club's interests.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
I was at the game last week and they let Dennis lead the team off and they clapped him and he waved to those around him. I thought it was odd, but thought well maybe a final game at home. Turns out he probably knew that was it.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #52
If we'd played him again this week then we aren't fair dinkum.
I'm tipping that Denis is fine with it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #53
If we'd played him again this week then we aren't fair dinkum.
I'm tipping that Denis is fine with it.

X2
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
Have we ever had an official farewell game for a player?

I thought this was the new Carlton ? With Lactobacillus Acidophilus Bolton in charge (hereafter referred to as LAB), I thought all the bad culture was being replaced with good ?

Reply #55
I thought this was the new Carlton ? With Lactobacillus Acidophilus Bolton in charge (hereafter referred to as LAB), I thought all the bad culture was being replaced with good ?

What is the point of that post?

Reply #56
What is the point of that post?

As part of a new, better culture, it might be a good thing to give long standing, dedicated club stalwarts even a half-arsed farewell game.

Reply #57
As part of a new, better culture, it might be a good thing to give long standing, dedicated club stalwarts even a half-arsed farewell game.

Even if that goes against the culture you are trying to build in which you reward players with effort and don't give games away.

Who is to say that Army's last couple of weeks were his farewell games?
Who is to say that Army wanted a farewell game?

Reply #58
Even if that goes against the culture you are trying to build in which you reward players with effort and don't give games away.

Who is to say that Army's last couple of weeks were his farewell games?
Who is to say that Army wanted a farewell game?

If you read the match reports of the various VFL games, you will note that senior players have played well and being overlooked for younger players.

I don't know Army's private thoughts, but neither does anyone else. How do you know he's not p1ssed about missing out ?

When Fisher was left on 99 games, when Houlihan was sub in his 200th, they were examples of bad culture - it didn't cross anyone's mind that maybe they were in those positions precisely because the club didn't want to gift games.

Reply #59
If you read the match reports of the various VFL games, you will note that senior players have played well and being overlooked for younger players.

I don't know Army's private thoughts, but neither does anyone else. How do you know he's not p1ssed about missing out ?

When Fisher was left on 99 games, when Houlihan was sub in his 200th, they were examples of bad culture - it didn't cross anyone's mind that maybe they were in those positions precisely because the club didn't want to gift games.

You have a bug up your butt about something. We get it.

1. Senior players playing well need to be playing to instructions....and need to be doing so for an extended amount of time. Without knowing the instructions, or the criteria put on them, you can't say they were overlooked.

2. You don't know, but you take a pot shot anyway.

3. Some people were upset about Fish and/or Houlihan, doesn't mean everyone was, nor does that have anything to do with whats happening now.