Skip to main content
Topic: Another School Shooting in the US (Read 13577 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Another School Shooting in the US

Reply #30
Just a personal opinion with no real figures to back it up but....

I don't know whether there are any figures for "gun ownership by profession in the USA" floating around but I would hazard a guess that "teachers" would figure at the lower end of any such chart.

In terms of gun control advocates they would probably figure prominently and most would vote or favour Democrat candidates.

They wouldn't want guns.

Reply #31

I don't know whether there are any figures for "gun ownership by profession in the USA" floating around but I would hazard a guess that "teachers" would figure at the lower end of any such chart.

In terms of gun control advocates they would probably figure prominently and most would vote or favour Democrat candidates.

They wouldn't want guns.

The NRA logic is so flawed. Giving School Teachers guns should work well until a crazed teacher shoots all the kids dead on a hateful Monday!

They think people doing the shootings are "The Bad People" that can be identified and weeded out of gun ownership by some multiple choice questions. Most of the shooters though are just Joe Average who lost their crap for some otherwise unknown reason.

The FBI and NSA can find the real crazy people so easily, most of them are on the TV or speaking at NRA rallies! But they are not the ones doing the shooting.

I'm not anti-gun, in fact in years gone by I was a sporting shooter which I gave up when I had kids. Kids and guns in the house do not mix. But there is no natural need or right that states people need assault rifles or concealable semi-automatic pistols.

The rights the NRA refer to are not God given, they are man made! When an NRA nutter stands up and states it's his God given right to own a weapon, he's technically blaspheming!

America is quickly becoming the worlds most powerful moron! They've got the bomb, as the keep reminding us, but even that they got it with the help of a bunch of communist double agents! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
I really hope these kids that are making a lot of noise at the moment get some traction and enact change, but I am very doubtful, they are trying to change a culture that is so ingrained. I lived in Phoenix Arizona for a couple of years in the late 90's, real cowboy country. I still shudder recalling a news story I saw when I was there about the leading causes of death in children under 5 years old. Number 1 was drowning. Now Phoenix is in a desert, seriously hot and dry, so everyone, and I mean everyone, has a pool. Pool fences were encouraged, but you did not have to have one by law. Most apartment complexes, like the one we lived in, had a fenced pool (because the owners didn't want to get sued), but I went to a number of private houses where the pools were beautifully landscaped, but no fence. Second leading cause of death was gun shot wound. Almost always it was a sibling or playmate, in the family home, found a handgun in a draw, playing cowboys and Indians, shot their mate/brother/sister dead. This was glossed over in the news story, which went on to focus on how fantastic the USA is, how great their health care system is, in a lot of the rest of the world the leading cause of death in children under 5 is diarrhoea, or malnutrition, or malaria, but the USA is so great that these things don't happen in Arizona. It still makes me cringe

Reply #33
In too many ways, America is as extreme and fundamentalist as the countries they claim as their enemies.

Reply #34

They wouldn't want guns.

Looks like you're right lods.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/teachers-demand-trump-arm-them-with-education-resources-not-guns-20180223-p4z1gl.html

Reply #35
In too many ways, America is as extreme and fundamentalist as the countries they claim as their enemies.

So spot on, Durante Koala. I recall when I visited the US some time ago that I was in a country of extremes. The best and worst of human nature was on show. The fundamentalism/fanaticism/patriotism is right up there with any other such nation. Yet friends over there and friends of friends offered me every generosity you could imagine.

I recall a Yank friend (who is on the international talk 'circuit') informing me, when I pointed out this paradox, that the US was settled by religious zealots and much of that fundamentalist extremism still remains - as evidenced, in just one example, by their deep reverence for authority - do and believe whatever 'the man' tells you. He also pointed out that Aust was settled, predominantly, by convicts (minor offenders in the main) hence our deep suspicion of authority! I might point out that of all the countries in the world he visits, we're his favourite by a long shot.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
So spot on, Durante Koala. I recall when I visited the US some time ago that I was in a country of extremes. The best and worst of human nature was on show. The fundamentalism/fanaticism/patriotism is right up there with any other such nation. Yet friends over there and friends of friends offered me every generosity you could imagine.

I recall a Yank friend (who is on the international talk 'circuit') informing me, when I pointed out this paradox, that the US was settled by religious zealots and much of that fundamentalist extremism still remains - as evidenced, in just one example, by their deep reverence for authority - do and believe whatever 'the man' tells you. He also pointed out that Aust was settled, predominantly, by convicts (minor offenders in the main) hence our deep suspicion of authority! I might point out that of all the countries in the world he visits, we're his favourite by a long shot.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/865936.Deer_Hunting_with_Jesus

Baggers have a read of this if you have the time and inclination. A confronting study and account of some aspects of life in the declining American Empire. Quite confronting in parts.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #37
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/865936.Deer_Hunting_with_Jesus

Baggers have a read of this if you have the time and inclination. A confronting study and account of some aspects of life in the declining American Empire. Quite confronting in parts.

Thank you, Fluffy One, I will. Read the shpeel and it sounds like a good read.

Don't you love the paradox of loving Jesus and guns! Who was the Native American who famously said, 'The white man came with a bible in one hand and a gun in the other!' A nation of contradictions... and in slow decline, along with strong denial.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
People will start arming themselves here with all the crime we have had in the last couple of years.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #40
People will start arming themselves here with all the crime we have had in the last couple of years.

Really???

Are they going to buy them legitimately on the black-market, because it's not so easy to be a licensed shooter anymore?

Legitimately you have to have gun safes separating firing mechanisms and ammunition from the barrel. You also have to submit to regular inspections from the police, not that I've heard anyone getting inspected but once you have weapons on-site they are permitted to do so.

Illegitimately I've heard that the typical black-market price of a gun started beyond $50k, and you basically have to unambiguously identify yourself to very undesirable types who trade in such weapons! That's a very high price to pay, and I've also heard some of those recent home invasions are to get hold of weapons(legit or illegal) for use in crime! :o

So getting rid of guns might discourage some of those home invasions, and if they are robbers it would be cheaper just to get robbed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
Really???

Are they going to buy them legitimately on the black-market, because it's not so easy to be a licensed shooter anymore?

Legitimately you have to have gun safes separating firing mechanisms and ammunition from the barrel. You also have to submit to regular inspections from the police, not that I've heard anyone getting inspected but once you have weapons on-site they are permitted to do so.

Illegitimately I've heard that the typical black-market price of a gun started beyond $50k, and you basically have to unambiguously identify yourself to very undesirable types who trade in such weapons! That's a very high price to pay, and I've also some of those recent home invasions are to get hold of weapons(legit or illegal) for use in crime! :o

So getting rid of guns might discourage some of those home invasions, and if they are robbers it would be cheaper just to get robbed!

Not quite right LP; ammunition must be stored separately but there is no requirement to render firearms inoperable.  Inspections are conducted regularly and there is no discretion if the security requirements aren't followed; the shooter's licence is cancelled and firearms confiscated on the spot. 

As for people arming themselves, there's never been a safer time to live in Victoria and, as my defence tactics instructor was fond of saying, if you arm yourself, it's likely that the baddies will take your weapon and use it against you.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
Never been a safer time? LMAO!

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43
Not quite right LP; ammunition must be stored separately but there is no requirement to render firearms inoperable.  Inspections are conducted regularly and there is no discretion if the security requirements aren't followed; the shooter's licence is cancelled and firearms confiscated on the spot. 

As for people arming themselves, there's never been a safer time to live in Victoria and, as my defence tactics instructor was fond of saying, if you arm yourself, it's likely that the baddies will take your weapon and use it against you.

Cheers DJC, it's a long long time since I looked into all this stuff, more than 20 years.

This unsafe perception is caused by the media and social media, it should be made accountable for reporting untruths or selective reporting. The statistics are pretty clear that crime in general is down despite the media sensationalism.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #44

There was an article in The Hun a week or so ago about the spate break ins occurring on farms and thefts of firearms from them. There was a suggestion in the article that many believe the crooks are getting inside info about properties and the types of guns stored there. One farmer found it very coincidental that he was robbed of his firearms shortly after a routine inspection. This is the type of stuff I am really concerned about.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time