Skip to main content
Topic: The 2018 Backline (Read 1595 times) previous topic - next topic

The 2018 Backline

Even with the Doc on the sidelines, tough to get a gig in our back line this year....

KPP defenders - Jones, Rowe, ASOS, Marchbank, Macreadie, Weitering, O'Shea

3rd tall/small defenders - Willo, Simmo, Byrne, Plow, Mullett.

Who are the first few picked?

For mine - Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones, O'Shea (to play Doc's role) and Willo.

Others who watched the NBs lst year will have a much better idea than me as to whether O'Shea can play a Doc type role....?

Rowe, ASOS and Byrne very stiff. Maybe ASOS gets a gig for his hardness? But Rowe offers that too but ASOS much quicker....

Simmo to play on a wing? Who takes the slippery small forward types eg Eddie Betts?

Perhaps Willo and/or Marchbank into the midfield?

Carlton has selected North Ballarat midfielder Tom Williamson with pick No.61 in the 2016 national draft.

Williamson showed off his excellent endurance at the AFL national combine, finishing first in the agility test and second in the 3km time trial. He prides himself on his fitness, finishing top 10 in another five tests, including the beep.

Williamson is a skilful medium defender/midfielder who can break games open with his speed. He shows good awareness and footy smarts and is a prolific ball-winner.

Tom W. really was a massive steal at #61.

Did he have a knock on him at all?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: The 2018 Backline

Reply #1
I'll keep saying it, Willo will be the best of the crop and we will be raving about him alot in the years to come.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Even with the Doc on the sidelines, tough to get a gig in our back line this year....

KPP defenders - Jones, Rowe, ASOS, Marchbank, Macreadie, Weitering, O'Shea

3rd tall/small defenders - Willo, Simmo, Byrne, Plow, Mullett.

Who are the first few picked?

For mine - Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Jones, O'Shea (to play Doc's role) and Willo.

Others who watched the NBs lst year will have a much better idea than me as to whether O'Shea can play a Doc type role....?

Rowe, ASOS and Byrne very stiff. Maybe ASOS gets a gig for his hardness? But Rowe offers that too but ASOS much quicker....

Simmo to play on a wing? Who takes the slippery small forward types eg Eddie Betts?

Perhaps Willo and/or Marchbank into the midfield?

Tom W. really was a massive steal at #61.

Did he have a knock on him at all?

Marchbank and OShea are similar players, people forget OShea is bigger than Marchbank and a similar type of intercept marking player who can play on most forwards except your Charlie Dixon power type.
Small defenders who defend is what we lack, the lock down variety who can play on a Robbie Gray type and subdue them, ours attack well but defending one on one isnt their strong point IMO....

Williamson was marked down at U18 level because he didnt get enough of the ball, was a canny selection IMO and having a more developed frame helped him adapt quicker IMO.
His ball use is first class and he has a burst of pace that allows him to throttle away from contests....I think he would be well suited to a halfback flank or wing...
Mullet and OShea will combine IMO to replace Docherty depending on opponents....

ACOS or Rowe will have to play when we play teams with a couple of Key Marking Forwards IMO.......Jones is still learning the role and as Buddy showed last time our man also lacks a bit of body on body know how.
ACOS may be shorter but he is hard nut at the contest and can hold his ground better than our other defenders IMO...

Reply #3
Williamson was very young IIRC

Reply #4
Youngest player drafted that year I think.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?