Skip to main content
Topic: Best Line Up - 2013 vs 2014 (Read 18836 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Line Up - 2013 vs 2014

I thought it might be a worthwhile exercise to keep track of our offseason moves in terms of the impact they are having on our actual line up and structures. I've picked my best 22 from this past season at the top, then listed the rest of our players in terms of the areas they provide depth in. Where possible, I have tried to rank those depth players in terms of where they sit on the overall pecking order for those positions.

At the end of trade week, we should be able to get a fairly good indication of the areas we need to address via the draft just by looking at the lineups and depth charts.

B: Simpson Jamieson McInnes
HB: Tuohy Henderson Walker
C: Scotland Judd Gibbs
HF: Robinson Waite Yarran
F: Betts Casboult Garlett
R Kreuzer Murphy McLean
INT: Warnock Carrazzo Armfield Bell

MIDFIELD DEPTH:
Curnow
Lucas
Ellard
Graham
Cachia
Buckley
O'Keefe
Joseph
Dale

FORWARD DEPTH:
Menzel
Rowe
Mitchell
Collins

DEFENSE DEPTH:
White
Watson
Bootsma
Duigan
Laidler
Davies
Temay
McCarthy

RUCK DEPTH:
Hampson

Factoring in the offseason moves that have currently taken place (or should soon take place), we have the following IN's and OUT's:

IN:  Dale Thomas, Sam Docherty*
OUT:  Hampson, Betts, Davies, Collins, Joseph, McCarthy, Mitchell, Dale, O'Keefe

So our current lineup and depth chart for 2014 would look something like this:

B: Simpson Jamieson Scotland
HB: Tuohy Henderson Docherty
C: Walker Judd Gibbs
HF: Robinson Waite Yarran
F:  Menzel Casboult Garlett
R Kreuzer Murphy Thomas
INT: Warnock Carrazzo McLean McInnes

MIDFIELD DEPTH:
Armfield
Bell
Curnow
Lucas
Ellard
Graham
Cachia
Buckley

FORWARD DEPTH:
Rowe

DEFENSE DEPTH:
White
Watson
Bootsma
Duigan
Laidler
Temay

RUCK DEPTH:

Which leaves us with 37 list spaces full out of a possible 44 (including rookies) and 7 spots left to fill for 2014 either via more trades or the national draft.

Looking at that chart, we appear to be severely lacking in ruck and forward depth, though obviously there are players capable of filling in at those positions who are currently listed in other areas. Even with Rowe and Casboult capable of supporting in the ruck, however, I find it hard to believe that we won't take a pure project ruckman with at least one of our draft selections at either the ND or Rookie Draft.

We are also seriously lacking in forward options that don't involve swapping people from defence. There aren't too many different structures we can try so I would suggest we would look at selecting players who know where the goals are and are capable of playing a role in the forward line. Whether they are primarily midfielders or not, I would imagine that they will be required to play significant time up forward.

Bringing in Thomas and Docherty effectively cost Armfield and Bell their positions in the best 22, which pushed them down into the Midfield Depth category and improved us considerably there. If we get hit by injury or form drops in the midfield, you could do a lot worse than bring in guys like Armfield, Bell, Curnow, Lucas, Ellard, Graham and Cachia. All of those guys have performed well at AFL level and shown they can compete.

Even though Mick is on record saying that he wanted to improve our midfield depth, I think he has done that considerably by bringing in Thomas and Docherty (who will play half back, but releases Walker onto a wing and into the midfield).

To me, that suggests that pure midfielders may not be our priority come draft day at all. We may select midfielders, but they will be midfielders capable of playing forward and will likely involve several taller types as we have certainly got quite a few of those types on our current OUT's list.

What do you guys think? Have a go yourselves, I'm quite a visual person so it helped to get it all laid out in lineups and lists for me.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Re: Best Line Up - 2013 vs 2014

Reply #1
I don't like casboult at FF
Also, Scotland hasn't confirmed for 2014

Reply #2
I don't like casboult at FF
Also, Scotland hasn't confirmed for 2014

Scotland also hasn't confirmed that he won't be there in 2014 either, so until he does, I'll leave him on the list. Likewise with Laidler, who may not be with us next season.

Like I said, have a go at the exercise yourself. Pick your best 22, rank the depth players, then see how the offseason moves effect those structures.

I plan on editing mine as we make any other moves or decisions.

Reply #3
Don't forget there still is an opportunity for Mitch Thorp, and a few real good mid types to draft.  I was hoping we would snag another established mid like Savage. Just have to wait to see who else will join our current squad. It would have been nice if Betts had a contract and we had a trade from the Crows. Betts cost us in the end. I hope he never forgets it either.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4
Very small backline lacking a genuine 3rd tall defender....Docherty is backpocket size..McInnes struggles vs bigger opponents .

Same old same old.....no KP backup if either Jamo or Henderson go down and not much down the other end either...Thomas and Docherty give us some more run and better kicking ability.

Draft needs:...KP defender with muscle, KP forward, a couple of bigger mids( all ours our small to mid sized except Bell).....Thorp is a player who would add some flexibility as he can play forward or up the ground.

Probably need to rookie a ruckman as backup or get a state league ruckman......

We dont need Daniel Cross either ...too slow.....and another poor kick to add to several poor kicking players still on the list.......

Reply #5
We will probably once again rely on the Rookie draft to solve our deficiencies.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #7
B: Simpson Jamison McInnes
HB: Tuohy Watson Docherty
C:  Judd   Walker  Yarran
HF: Gibbs Henderson McLean
FF: Menzel   Waite    Garlett
R Kruezer  Thomas  Murphy

INT Warnock Carrazzo Armfield Robinson

Scotland misses out for mine, if he does play on next year its to be in a development role mentoring Docherty, Graham, Cachia, Bell and Lucas

Casboult out, Watson in to step up and take CHB for his own next year, Hendo forward which is win win.

Walker to play in the guts week in, week out.

Two negative players each week in Carrazzo for the bigger mids like Pendles, Swan, Jobe, JPK types, and Army for the likes of K. Jack, Ablett, Rioli, L Thomas. So Army plays forward/back/mid at Different stages.

Thorp is one to consider with our pick 31 or 32 whichever it may be. If we can draft Rowe with pick 44? we can make a strong case for Thorp with our second rounder, eventhough he has played in a crap league this year he won em a flag on his merry lonesome, worth the risk.

Shaun McKernan as depth? Back-up Ruck/Fwd.

Lucas, Bell, Graham, Cachia, Curnow, Scotland, Buckley, Ellard and draftees as mid depth

As it stands Cas and Rowe are our only ruck/fwd back up which is extremely alarming in my eyes, should get another project from the state leagues. Could do much worse than McKernan and Thorp to replace Paddy Mac and Mitchell. Rookie Mitchell i reckon.

Duigan, Bootsma, Temay, White, possibly Laidler as well.

So, 7 spots to fill and i'm going to have a crack at it.

National Draft

#13 Marcus Bontempelli
#33 Mitch Thorp
#51 Dayle Garlett
#69 Trent Dumont

3 spots to fill. I'd like to rookie Luke Mitchell again , but i just haven't seen enough of him in the NB's.

Shaun McKernan to take 1 rookie spot, , i'd like a state league/mature aged midfielder, 18 to 23 years of age, and i'd like another KPP/swingman like Cam Delaney, Joel Tippet, Matthew Westhoff or something similar.

Be gentle people.  :D

Reply #8
I like the idea of one ruck and the relief such as Casboult. I also like, and prefer, a spine of Jamison FB, Watson, who does ok each time he plays, at CHB, Henderson CHF and Waite FF. That means though we have to play the 2 rucks as well, who can slow up our mobility.

Maybe the other thing we can do is move Waite to the wing, as Richmond did with Richo late in his career, and play Casboult rather than a 2nd ruckman. Waite would play there well and it might just improve our midfield a bit too.

Reply #9
I like the idea of one ruck and the relief such as Casboult. I also like, and prefer, a spine of Jamison FB, Watson, who does ok each time he plays, at CHB, Henderson CHF and Waite FF. That means though we have to play the 2 rucks as well, who can slow up our mobility.

Maybe the other thing we can do is move Waite to the wing, as Richmond did with Richo late in his career, and play Casboult rather than a 2nd ruckman. Waite would play there well and it might just improve our midfield a bit too.
I like the idea of one ruck too, which is why Jesse White partnered with Kruezer would have been ideal. I prefer Warnock in over Casboult though, unless by some miracle he learns how to kick this off season. Rowe just runs out of puff too quick. Warnock trumps him too. Increasing Waites workload= bad idea. Already made of Glass and it robs us of some serious scoring power.

Reply #10
B: Simpson Jamison McInnes
HB: Tuohy Watson Docherty
C:  Judd   Walker  Yarran
HF: Gibbs Henderson McLean
FF: Menzel   Waite    Garlett
R Kruezer  Thomas  Murphy

INT Warnock Carrazzo Armfield Robinson

Scotland misses out for mine, if he does play on next year its to be in a development role mentoring Docherty, Graham, Cachia, Bell and Lucas

Casboult out, Watson in to step up and take CHB for his own next year, Hendo forward which is win win.

Walker to play in the guts week in, week out.

Two negative players each week in Carrazzo for the bigger mids like Pendles, Swan, Jobe, JPK types, and Army for the likes of K. Jack, Ablett, Rioli, L Thomas. So Army plays forward/back/mid at Different stages.

Thorp is one to consider with our pick 31 or 32 whichever it may be. If we can draft Rowe with pick 44? we can make a strong case for Thorp with our second rounder, eventhough he has played in a crap league this year he won em a flag on his merry lonesome, worth the risk.

Shaun McKernan as depth? Back-up Ruck/Fwd.

Lucas, Bell, Graham, Cachia, Curnow, Scotland, Buckley, Ellard and draftees as mid depth

As it stands Cas and Rowe are our only ruck/fwd back up which is extremely alarming in my eyes, should get another project from the state leagues. Could do much worse than McKernan and Thorp to replace Paddy Mac and Mitchell. Rookie Mitchell i reckon.

Duigan, Bootsma, Temay, White, possibly Laidler as well.

So, 7 spots to fill and i'm going to have a crack at it.

National Draft

#13 Marcus Bontempelli
#33 Mitch Thorp
#51 Dayle Garlett
#69 Trent Dumont

3 spots to fill. I'd like to rookie Luke Mitchell again , but i just haven't seen enough of him in the NB's.

Shaun McKernan to take 1 rookie spot, , i'd like a state league or mature aged ruckman, 18 to 21 years of age, and i'd like another KPP/swingman like Cam Delaney, Joel Tippet, Matthew Westhoff or something similar.

Be gentle people.  :D

Marcus Bontempelli, pretty sure the pies will take him with 6. Have heard he reason they have looked to upgrade their pick is all about him.
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #11
My Round 1 team, 2014. (barring injury)

B:     Tuohy     Watson    McInnes
HB: Docherty   Jamison   Simpson
C:   Thomas      Judd       Walker
HF: Robinson    Waite       Yarran
F:    Kreuzer  Henderson  Garlett

Foll:    Warnock    Murphy     Gibbs

INT: Carrazzo   McLean   Scotland
Sub: Menzel

MIDFIELD DEPTH: (in order)
Bell
Curnow
Graham
Lucas
(pick #13)
Cachia
Ellard
Ciaran Byrne (rookie)

FORWARD DEPTH:
(pick #33 ?) - state leaguer, possibly Thorp but Bris will have pick #7, #23 (Polec), #28 (Yeo), #29 and #32 (Docherty) before our second rounder. I think they'll pick up Thorp before we get a chance.
Duigan
Armfield
Mitchell (rookie)
Buckley

DEFENSE DEPTH:
Bootsma
(rookie pick ?)
White
Temay

RUCK DEPTH:
Rowe
Casboult
(rookie pick ?)

Still a few places on the list but I'll have a better idea after the draft period.

Reply #12
My Round 1 team, 2014. (barring injury)

B:     Tuohy     Watson    McInnes
HB: Docherty   Jamison   Simpson
C:   Thomas      Judd       Walker
HF: Robinson    Waite       Yarran
F:    Kreuzer  Henderson  Garlett

Foll:    Warnock    Murphy     Gibbs

INT: Carrazzo   McLean   Scotland
Sub: Menzel

MIDFIELD DEPTH: (in order)
Bell
Curnow
Graham
Lucas
(pick #13)
Cachia
Ellard
Ciaran Byrne (rookie)

FORWARD DEPTH:
(pick #33 ?) - state leaguer, possibly Thorp but Bris will have pick #7, #23 (Polec), #28 (Yeo), #29 and #32 (Docherty) before our second rounder. I think they'll pick up Thorp before we get a chance.
Duigan
Armfield
Mitchell (rookie)
Buckley

DEFENSE DEPTH:
Bootsma
(rookie pick ?)
White
Temay

RUCK DEPTH:
Rowe
Casboult
(rookie pick ?)

Still a few places on the list but I'll have a better idea after the draft period.

Nice one, so you think we'll definitely go a midfielder with our first round pick? I can see us going for the red nut if he's available, personally, though I think the midfielders around at that pick will be better players.

Do you also consider Casboult and Rowe to be more rucks than forwards? That's interesting. I'd certainly consider them both to be key position forwards who can ruck in relief of a legitimate ruckman.

Our lists are actually quite different, though I can certainly see where you are coming from.

Reply #13
I put Rowe and Casboult in as ruck depth because I think if Mick decides he wants to play a genuine ruck and a full forward/backup ruck, one of those two will play that role. If he stays with the two genuine rucks then I don't think they'll get much game time if Hendo moves forward or we get a ready made KPF in the draft. I've already conceded that Collingwood will pick up a mid with their first 1st rounder and McCarthy with their second first rounder, but just guessing.

Reply #14
Love to participate, but assuming Docherty and ????? are a part of our club is just too much assumption.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17