Skip to main content
Topic: Real-time Snicko (Read 7583 times) previous topic - next topic

Real-time Snicko

Here ends many batting careers!

The use of Real-Time Snicko will quickly lead to the realisation that most top level batsmen are out many times an innings and that goes almost unnoticed on a regular basis. The Indians know this, BCCI has had local eggheads go over the technology with a fine tooth comb and have worked tirelessly behind the scenes to have it "de-tuned" through the bureaucracy of the ICC. They have quickly come to the conclusion that with an accurate sensor technology batting on normal wickets would be almost impossible. But they cannot stop the broadcasters doing what they like with it even it the umpires get a watered down version.

Pessimists will say this can only result in two things, the production of dead flat boring wickets to maximise the favor to the batsmen, and the end of five days of test cricket excluding when weather interruptions.

Optimists will say the era of cricket being dominated by the bat is over and dead, long live 20/20.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Real-time Snicko

Reply #1
The only thing cricket is, and has always been dominated by has been fat narcissistic, egotistical swines. 

Reply #2
Here ends many batting careers!

The use of Real-Time Snicko will quickly lead to the realisation that most top level batsmen are out many times an innings and that goes almost unnoticed on a regular basis. The Indians know this, BCCI has had local eggheads go over the technology with a fine tooth comb and have worked tirelessly behind the scenes to have it "de-tuned" through the bureaucracy of the ICC. They have quickly come to the conclusion that with an accurate sensor technology batting on normal wickets would be almost impossible. But they cannot stop the broadcasters doing what they like with it even it the umpires get a watered down version.

Pessimists will say this can only result in two things, the production of dead flat boring wickets to maximise the favor to the batsmen, and the end of five days of test cricket excluding when weather interruptions.

Optimists will say the era of cricket being dominated by the bat is over and dead, long live 20/20.

Probably oversized the font but seriously LP? WTF?

If anyone truly loves and understands Cricket then they will understand that test cricket is where it's at and even a dubious decision from an umpire based on his interpretation must be respected. 20/20 is puerile crap designed to appease the largely apathetic masses who have no regard for the intricacies of the true spirit of Cricket. ie Test cricket.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #3
Surprised LP hasn't blamed Tony Abbott

Reply #4
Get rid of schnicko, the DRS, hotspot and any other of these computerised umpiring aids and just let the people out there in the middle make their decisions.

How did the game survive for so long without those things ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #5

No if there are problems with cricket it must be a Howard / Simpson issue!

Old men stick fat!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Get rid of schnicko, the DRS, hotspot and any other of these computerised umpiring aids and just let the people out there in the middle make their decisions.

I agree it is 100% rubbish, only crooked umpires and gambling with questionable bookmakers give it any oxygen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7

No need for any of us to blame 'Tone' for anything... he is quite capable, perhaps even expert, at digging a number of impressive holes for himself all on his lonesome :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
How does "real time" snicko differ from what we've previously had?
Are the umpires going to be wearing Google glass contraptions that show an oscilloscope or something?

Reply #9
Are the umpires going to be wearing Google glass contraptions that show an oscilloscope or something?

Wow. I didn't think people here would know what an oscilloscope was to be honest. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10

Wow. I didn't think people here would know what an oscilloscope was to be honest. ;)

Mants...Have the old fashioned Blue display BWD at home in the workshop but it hasnt seen much action for a long while.
Its all software programs now with a video card unless you want spend some big dollars on LCD scope/waveform monitor units ie Tektronics..

Reply #11
I worked and sold Tektronics years ago. Oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, waveform monitors, logic analysers, signal generators and anything Rf. Especially high frequency military. They love their analogue gear and so did I. Nothing beats a good analogue device for speed performance. Capturing with storage is the only limitation. Digitised measures just isn't the same. Great for storage, but not the same as a true high speed analogue device to spot a glitch in true real life. Give me a good old fashioned CRT any day of the week. Still, I do like working HP (Agilent) and Lecroy digital scopes. Fun to play with and great histograms. Cr@p, now I am showing my age.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #12
I worked and sold Tektronics years ago. Oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, waveform monitors, logic analysers, signal generators and anything Rf. Especially high frequency military. They love their analogue gear and so did I. Nothing beats a good analogue device for speed performance. Capturing with storage is the only limitation. Digitised measures just isn't the same. Great for storage, but not the same as a true high speed analogue device to spot a glitch in true real life. Give me a good old fashioned CRT any day of the week. Still, I do like working HP (Agilent) and Lecroy digital scopes. Fun to play with and great histograms. Cr@p, now I am showing my age.

Mants the fact that I have no idea wtf you are talking about shows my age brother. :o ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #13
Yep, we ran 50, 100 and 200Mhz Tecktronics Analogue for years, then switched to TDS for a while but now we replaced the lot with software scopes. Cleverscope's and PicoScope's on laptops, not really any cheaper but much easier to carry around!
The Force Awakens!