Skip to main content
Topic: Murphy Growing Into Leadership Role - AGE (Read 18415 times) previous topic - next topic

Murphy Growing Into Leadership Role - AGE

Carlton skipper Marc Murphy has taken more a vocal lead in his second summer in charge as his confidence in the top role continues to grow.

Murphy is not a natural extrovert, the same of which can be said about the Blues' leadership group in recent years.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/marc-murphy-growing-into-leadership-role-20140115-30u4h.html
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Murphy Growing Into Leadership Role - AGE

Reply #1
He needs to lead by example out on the field.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2

Most grow into the leadership role.
Marc just needs to lift his consistency and win the ball at every contest, every week and the rest will follow.
Carrots, slower than escargot in garlic sauce !!

Reply #3
If we/he has another year like last, there will be lots of pressure on him in regards to keeping the captaincy.

Reply #4

Marc just needs to lift his consistency and win the ball at every contest, every week and the rest will follow.

I've come to the realisation he's not ever going to win the hard ball, I just want him to at least chase and tackle with intent, he must lead the way in this department if he's going to a great leader. I remember a game against North last year where he really made one stick early in the game which resulted in a goal. No doubt it lifted the side. Then I've just seen him let players walk through his tackles only to see Menzel make it stick against the same player just minutes later. That type of stuff is unacceptable. No doubt he's well liked and respected within the club. Time to make use of the influence he has over his team.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
Yawn.

Reply #6

I've come to the realisation he's not ever going to win the hard ball, I just want him to at least chase and tackle with intent, he must lead the way in this department if he's going to a great leader. I remember a game against North last year where he really made one stick early in the game which resulted in a goal. No doubt it lifted the side. Then I've just seen him let players walk through his tackles only to see Menzel make it stick against the same player just minutes later. That type of stuff is unacceptable. No doubt he's well liked and respected within the club. Time to make use of the influence he has over his team.

See, i don't get this coming from you.

I used to be critical of 2 of your favourite players for doing the exact same thing. One, a former captain and both former B+F winners. Both were not known for getting the hard ball and were very much receivers. Both would have less tackling ability than our current captain. You support them and chastise Murph?

FYI, Bradley and Campo.

Reply #7
To be fair, it is a very different game now. In the 95 GF, we only had 4 players with more than 1 tackle to their name (Geelong had 6). Even if you take a tighter match like the preliminary final the year before, it's not much better.

Reply #8
But both went when it was their turn.

One of my favourite aspects of Campo's game was his willingness to run down opponents. It's almost like he got some sort of perverse satisfaction out of it. He used to chase and tackle with real intent.

Bradley my memory has faded with regards to his defensive side but I remember in his final year when we were getting smacked and had no ball winners he was in there winning the hard ball at the ripe old age of 37(?). Played through a wet day with broken ribs.

Murph is a brilliant footballer. If he could improve on his weaknesses he could be one of our best ever. It'll be a shame if we never see it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #9
If Gibbs steps up to the plate and we have Judd and Thomas fit, Murphy won't have the pressure on him to perform. He may be a better player with support around him. I think the whole captain issue did his head in along with injuries here and there.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10
Yay another thread for Carrots to bag murphy in.

Murphy musy have been going for the soft receive when he busted his shoulder or when Hodge busted his cheekbone.

Bradley and hardball dont fit in the same sentence.

You can label almost anyone a soft outside runner if you want to. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Where have I bagged him?

The fact that many of you will not hear a bad word said about him proves my point. I say he needs to be more accountable and all of a sudden I'm bagging him. Don't be so precious, he is not beyond criticism and not good enough to just prance about the field and be unaccountable, especially as captain. Did I not say he's a brilliant footballer? I just want him to be the best he can be for the betterment of our side.

Now I will shut my mouth so as not to upset most people's lovechild. As you were Thryleon.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
I still have my reservations about how good of a leader Murphy can become, for mine he is a watered down version of Judd as captain and picked basically because he was our best player. After the years of Judd being captain I felt we needed a more junk yard dog style captain especially given the nature of the players we have at the club.

Great leaders for me make their teammates walk taller out on the ground, which is basically where it is all said and done. I don't think Murphy will ever have that affect as a leader, nonetheless I hope he does prove me wrong as I just want to see no.17 being lifted.

Reply #13

You have been beating this drum for the last 2 years and its BS.

You actually started with Judd, and then we turned him into an inside midfielder and broke him and then you moved on to Murphy.

Its not about love child, or negative words, its about a biased opinion against him because he got what you would call Carrazzo's captaincy.

Carry on yourself.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14

You have been beating this drum for the last 2 years and its BS.

You actually started with Judd, and then we turned him into an inside midfielder and broke him and then you moved on to Murphy.

Its not about love child, or negative words, its about a biased opinion against him because he got what you would call Carrazzo's captaincy.

Carry on yourself.

That's an easy cop out for you well done!

I have been on to Murph well before any captaincy and if you go back through the threads in 2011 I was in full support of him because he changed his game and did some of the tough stuff, chased tackled etc.

You think you know everything but in reality you know sweet FA, especially about me and my opinions.

Show me where I bagged Murphy in this thread oh precious one. Or are you just a little too defensive?

@JC

Agree 100%.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!