Skip to main content
Topic: Phil Hughes (Read 26209 times) previous topic - next topic

Phil Hughes

Not good news form the SCG.  Phil Hughes has been struck by a bouncer attempting to hook.  He collapsed by th side of the pitch, was given mouth to mouth & has been rushed to hospital in a critical condition:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/802977.html

Play suspended , hope all is OK for him.  He was batting his way into the test side as well on 63 not out.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Re: Phil Hughes

Reply #1
Very bad news, ambulance turned up but they called in the helicopter instead, not good at all!

FFS, I hope that the lad is OK!

I never ever wish anyone to be genuinely hurt, playing sport or just going about your business, it's no good.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Geez, good luck to the kid. Stuff like this is fairly gruesome and a reminder of the dangers these guys face.

Reply #3
I hope things go well for him. It is not something I would wish on anyone, not even Neil Balme or Clarkson.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
It seems that the ball struck Hughes behind the ear where the skull is not protected by the helmet.

He's getting the best medical attention and, hopefully will come out of it OK. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
It seems that the ball struck Hughes behind the ear where the skull is not protected by the helmet.

Lets hope he recovers quickly without any long lasting effects and perhaps a re-design of helmets to protect that
area behind the ear can be one positive to come out of this awful event.

Reply #6

Lets hope he recovers quickly without any long lasting effects and perhaps a re-design of helmets to protect that
area behind the ear can be one positive to come out of this awful event.

I agree with you on everything 100%. Hope he gets better soon.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #7
If this were the Afl, then that would mean the bowler gets a suspension for life for head high contact?

Seriously though, best of luck to him. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
This is a freakish accident which may lead to improved helmet designs. I feel for the bowler Sean Abbott who must be feeling awful at the moment, but it must be stressed that he has done nothing wrong. If CA investigations into this incident result in changes to player protection and/or implementation of rules to prevent this kind of incident from occurring again, it will not be in vain as mothers of young kids wanting to play cricket should expect that the sports governing body would do everything within its power to provide a safe environment in which its participants are protected.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #9
One of the great Rugby League coaches of yesteryear, Jack Gibson , used to say cricket was a game for the sooks.

This proves that statement wrong .

Good luck to Phil Hughes . A hell of a thing to happen to a young bloke in his prime .

I feel for the bowler too . Not his fault , but he would not be doing it easy right now .
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #10
This is a freakish accident which may lead to improved helmet designs. I feel for the bowler Sean Abbott who must be feeling awful at the moment, but it must be stressed that he has done nothing wrong. If CA investigations into this incident result in changes to player protection and/or implementation of rules to prevent this kind of incident from occurring again, it will not be in vain as mothers of young kids wanting to play cricket should expect that the sports governing body would do everything within its power to provide a safe environment in which its participants are protected.

Yeah....It was a freak accident, and I really hope there's no knee-jerk reaction as far as the cricketing laws go.  Improve Helmet design, yes, go all out to improve the current design (I believe Phil wasn't wearing the latest design anyway, although whether that would have made a scrap of difference is completely unknown).  But don't go changing the short pitched bowling laws as a result of a one-off event. 

Sean Abbot must be feeling terrible, and I hope he has all the support available to him telling him he is in no way to blame.  In my previous sporting lifetime as a fast bowler I sconned the odd batsman, and a couple weren't wearing helmets in the early days, I guess looking back I was lucky that there were no serious injuries resulting.  But it was & still is, part & parcel of the game.  I didn't feel happy hitting anyone, but in the back of your mind, you know you've bowled the ball exactly as you were planning.

As for Jack Gibson......I wonder if he was ever at the other end of 22 yards facing an express bowler.

Reply #12
It's a freak accident and it would be very difficult for a helmet manufacturer to create anything that would prevent it without looking like a Ned Kelly armoury.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #13
Helmet manufacturer has their say:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/news/article/-/25613525/hughes-not-wearing-latest-model-helmet-manufacturer/

Think I would be going the extra protection and sacrificing some movement.........maybe there needs to more of a range and choice of helmets reflecting protection vs movement..

At junior cricket we taught kids to use the helmet as defense, they were coached never to turn their head away as it exposes areas most vulnerable. It's the part of the keep your eyes on the ball message that is often forgotten.

A good drill is to get kids with their helmets on, correctly adjusted for fit and spacing on the grill / visor. The grills are often too close to the face, and helmets are often too loose. Then from a meter of so away underarm cricket balls at their face and have them use the grill and top of the helmet to head the balls away or back to the thrower. They start off flinching and closing their eyes, but after a few repetitions of several minutes each the flinching reaction disappears and they start ducking into the ball using the helmet as defense. Further more, once the panic reflex reaction is diminished in games you start to see them swaying out of the way watching the ball go right past the visor.

My brother use to take this a step further with the older kids and prove to them that a ball hitting the side of the helmet hurts way more than a ball hitting the top or grill. But younger kids might not react well to that.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
All 3 current rounds of Shield matches have been cancelled.......crikey, not sure if that's the way to go as a lead up to the First Test. Or are CA planning on cancelling that as well ?