Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 4: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs (Read 39470 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 4: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

No matter what happens to the Dogs today, they are going to want to make a real point against us next week. In some ways I hope they beat Hawthorn, as it may cost them enough for us to take them. However, .....

I don't know if we should make a lot of changes, if only to give the guys who played a decent opportunity and the ones in the NB time to actually reach something like their potential.
However, if changes are to be made, then those who could be replaced include:
[1] Jamison
[2] Rowe
[3] Whiley
[4] Buckley
[5] Phillips
[6] Kreuzer
[7] Casboult

Bringing in a forward is almost a necessity, as our present structure hasn't been working well.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 4: Pre Game Pressure: Carlton vs. Western Bulldogs

Reply #1
Sorry Crash but I currently harbour very very little hope of beating the Doggies.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
The Doggies? Really?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
dogs by 100

gibbs 30 possessions (dinky kicks and hand passes having no effect) and herald sun will have him in our best 3 players ::)

Reply #4
I think we can win this game. ;D

B: Weitering Weitering Weitering
HB: Weitering Weitering Weitering
C: Weitering Cripps Weitering
HF: Weitering Weitering Weitering
F: Weitering Weitering Weitering
FOLL: Weitering Weitering Weitering
INTER: E. Curnow. C Curnow Weitering Cripps

Reply #5
I think it's time for a reset! A reset of our reset.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
I think we can win this game. ;D

B: Weitering Weitering Weitering
HB: Weitering Weitering Weitering
C: Weitering Cripps Weitering
HF: Weitering Weitering Weitering
F: Weitering Weitering Weitering
FOLL: Weitering Weitering Weitering
INTER: E. Curnow. C Curnow Weitering Cripps
I like your thinking. A few clones would be handy.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
I think it's time for a reset! A reset of our reset.

Seriously? Three games in and it's all over?

This rebuild is going to take 3-5 years if we get everything 80% right. the Malthouse era wrecked our list with poor recruiting and crap drafting. He left us with a list bereft of talent no attacking options, much the same as he left Collingwood and they are finding that out now.

Three years Weitering and Curnow should have 50 games under their belt and hopefully McKay, Cunningham and Silvagni are almost automatic selections each week, we'll have some more talent through the draft and hopefully one or two more shrewd trades, Hopefully Plowmans injuries are behind him and Sumner, Kerridge, Cripps and Graham make the framework on our midfield.

We will be where the Doggies were at the start of 2014 starting to bring together a list with structure that have grown together, you can't get this without pain however and it's what we will have to live with for now.

Reply #8
Seriously? Three games in and it's all over?

This rebuild is going to take 3-5 years if we get everything 80% right. the Malthouse era wrecked our list with poor recruiting and crap drafting. He left us with a list bereft of talent no attacking options, much the same as he left Collingwood and they are finding that out now.
Funnily enough he did the same to west coast and left the list in poor shape when he jumped ship to the pies. The difference is that he at least built teams at both the Eagles and pies that went on to win flags. He came to us thinking he could get instant success but rather than continue to build he dismantled the core of the playing group and replaced them with top ups that didn't work and continue to clog our list.

Reply #9
We have a fundamental problem with our list and game plan. Potentially our best ball users are needed to also win the ball, it doesn't work because the blokes we would prefer to be used on the inside are very ordinary ball users. So clubs can isolate players on the outside like Kerridge, Simpson, Tuohy, E.Curnow and Buckley, and drag blokes like Murphy and Gibbs inside the contest.

From then on it's turnover time because the better ball users are left in traffic and Kerridge, Simpson, Tuohy, E.Curnow and Buckley just bomb the ball long.

We need a severe case of discipline in the midfield, a massive dose of sacrifice and a measure of smarts.

Imagine if clubs let players like StevieJ or Abletts types suffer working on the inside 100% of the time. They would have half the impact that they have in space. Even last night watch the replay and you find Ablett sitting behind play to receive and then run, and GC are happy for that to happen because he can use the ball.

In the same replay you get to see Tuohy and Buckley burn team-mates who are open inside F50 while they bomb the ball long to the square.

Further, WTF is Casboult handing off to Tuohy from 50m, the kid kicks 60m easily when he's going. He should be read the riot act and told no more hand it off bullsh1t from 50m.

But we have a precedent with all this because that is what we did with Judd, so it seems we now think that superstars must always win their own ball and let the spuds kick it long.

Against the Doggies the pace of the game is going up even further than last night, if blokes at Carlton don't start doing the fundamentals right like first options and good ball use we will lose by 150pts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Funnily enough he did the same to west coast and left the list in poor shape when he jumped ship to the pies. The difference is that he at least built teams at both the Eagles and pies that went on to win flags. He came to us thinking he could get instant success but rather than continue to build he dismantled the core of the playing group and replaced them with top ups that didn't work and continue to clog our list.

In plain English.....gutted the list and replaced them with peripheral plodders.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #11
Byrne Weitering White
Simpson Plowman Docherty
Touhy Cripps E.Curnow
Kerridge Jaksch C.Curnow
Walker Casboult Wright

Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs

Graham, Boekhorst, Buckley, Thomas

Gone with Kreuzer but reckon Wood would do a better job right now than any other ruck we have. Don't need any other ruckman. Plowman was terrific today so straight in. Like to put Sumner in, as I reckon he'll go ok, but might need another week or two. Then straight in.

Reply #12

Be fair now, our recruiting and list management was abysmal long before MM came along.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #13
Byrne Weitering White
Simpson Plowman Docherty
Touhy Cripps E.Curnow
Kerridge Jaksch C.Curnow
Walker Casboult Wright

Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs

Graham, Boekhorst, Buckley, Thomas

Gone with Kreuzer but reckon Wood would do a better job right now than any other ruck we have. Don't need any other ruckman. Plowman was terrific today so straight in. Like to put Sumner in, as I reckon he'll go ok, but might need another week or two. Then straight in.
Me likey LAJ. Doubt Walker will get up, who takes his place you reckon?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
Me likey LAJ. Doubt Walker will get up, who takes his place you reckon?

Have to think about it. I was running out of players...lol.