Skip to main content
Topic: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ?? (Read 23174 times) previous topic - next topic

What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ??

The last time Bryce Gibbs played some decent consistent football was that stellar season he had leading into signing that end of season mega-contract of his. Since that deal was struck, he has been lethargic & spasmodic in most games only giving us the occasional teaser of what he is really capable of. This has frustrated many a Blues fan as he is one of a small handful of players who we have expected more from every week.

Whilst I haven't had the pleasure of watching the last three games due to no coverage up here in Sydney, the one thing that everyone I speak to talks about is how well Bryce Gibbs is playing right now. We have always know that he is a very smart player who knows where to get where the ball is going to be plus he is extremely precise by foot whether it is kicking for goal or delivering to a team-mate.

The thing is, what has made him fire up all of a sudden ??

It is my strong belief (and I have nothing to back up this claim) that he has been told, in no uncertain terms, that unless he delivers to his optimal level every week, he will be dropped to the seconds until such time that he does start delivering. Further to that, if he ends up being in the seconds he will find himself in a new environment next year.

Gibbs is a player who prides himself on never playing seconds so that sort of threat would certainly be something he would want to avoid because he wouldn't like the embarrassment of being dropped. He has been quite comfortable at Carlton and if he was traded elsewhere, he would be under more intense scrutiny than ever before.

I'm sure Bolton would of spoken to all of the players individually and laid out what his expectations of them all was. With Gibbs, I reckon Bolton would not have minced his words and would of spelt out quite strongly that Gibbs had a higher level of demands being placed on him due to his seniority, contract status & overall ability.

Thankfully, he has responded and we are the beneficiaries. All he has to do now is 'maintain the rage' because those threats are there to stay.

Good coaching by Bolton, good response (for now) by Gibbs.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: What Has Turned Around Bryce Gibbs ??

Reply #1
Probably just a good injury free pre-season and a game plan that suits his style of play.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Probably just a good injury free pre-season and a game plan that suits his style of play.

Yes, and the fact that BB inspires the right attitude and actions by playing guys to their strengths and in the roles that suit them. Gibbs , for example, seems to be much more in the thick of the action this year from what I can see.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
I disagree he's been threatened with playing in the 2nds - he doesn't strike me as a player that would take kindly to threats.

I think he's probably found in Bolton someone who understands that he is one of our best players and is installing in those around him the confidence to get in and do their part - I reckon BG felt if he played his best each week it'd all be left to him and he felt overwhelmed by it or simply just didn't think it should all be on his shoulders - I reckon bolt is making those around him
More accountable

Reply #4
I disagree he's been threatened with playing in the 2nds - he doesn't strike me as a player that would take kindly to threats.

I think he's probably found in Bolton someone who understands that he is one of our best players and is installing in those around him the confidence to get in and do their part - I reckon BG felt if he played his best each week it'd all be left to him and he felt overwhelmed by it or simply just didn't think it should all be on his shoulders - I reckon bolt is making those around him
More accountable
It was very noticeable that Bolton ran straight to Simmo after the siren went last week, and he refers to him as the 'spiritual' leader of the club.  From the outside looking in, it seems to me that Gibbs is playing more 'Simmo-like' - getting down and dirty when he needs to, scrapping for everything he can - and when that it added to his natural ability, he is at the next level.  It's also noticeable that he is getting into push and shoves with the opposition, protecting the younger guys.

I reckon Bolton has challenged the leaders (Murphy, Simmo, Gibbs) to be just that - leaders.  Not only in voice, but in actions.  As Bolton himself said, he has been impressed how the leaders have become an extension of the coaching panel.

There is another part of the culture developing which is just as pleasing - watch the replays carefully.  After a player has a bit of a stuff up like a bad kick or a missed mark, at least one other player comes over and gives him a pat on the backside as if to say 'don't dwell on it, we'll get it next time'.  Successful teams are very good at celebrating their victory moments, but they are also good at collectively owning their problems and dealing with it in a positive light. The attitude of "We're in this together" is fundamental to teams of any sort. 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #5

More accountable

Agree Mickey and I don't think Bolts is into dishing out threats either.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6

Is making threats a bit old-school, a tactic that really doesn't work anymore?

Should we ask Mick Malthouse! ;)

Can you divide and conquer if you want to establish unity?

Bolton talks about unity, I presume threats just divide people.

All the guys(AFL) are physically fit, so maybe mental health is more important, does a threat promote good mental health?

So what drives a repeat effort at AFL level, physical fitness or a desire?

I doubt the difference between 1st place and last is physical fitness.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7

Yep.

Dinosaurs threaten.

Eade the failure is showing that again.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #8
I think that Gibbs is simply one of those players that plays better when the team is travelling well and that much of his work goes unnoticed when the team isnt travelling so well.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
We have always held Gibbs to a higher level than say a Dennis Armfield.

Number 1 pick, obvious talent and leadership thrust upon him means that his sub standard games are always still better than 90% of our list.

I think he has been set a defined role, in a structure where it is team orientated not relying on individual brilliance and been left to "go and play" football. He is in the leadership group but i feel he is better suited as an On Field type leader rather than a Captain/Vice Captain role.

He is all of a sudden been thrust into the limelight and talked about AA selection. It will be good to see how Bolton keeps the equilibrium with Bryce and whether Bryce can respond to a probably getting Ben Jacbos hanging off him this week.

I would move play him forward as i think he will beat Jacobs Aerially and potentially kick 5-6.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #10
Sheik.Have you tried watching the smart replay from the AFL site. Its available 12 hrs after the game and its free.

Reply #11

Add in the fact that he was injured and suspended last year and it explains the fact that 2015 was a poor year by Bryce Gibbs.

Bolton has been consistent in his praise of Gibbs since the pre-season and he made the point that the rest of the team will no longer be allowed to depend on Gibbs, Murphy and Kreuzer.  Perhaps it's the better effort that Bolton has extracted from the second and third tier players that has allowed Gibbs to get back to his best and then some.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
Culture.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #13
Confidence and a healthy, happy work environment.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
Sheik.Have you tried watching the smart replay from the AFL site. Its available 12 hrs after the game and its free.

Cant wait for his next SB&C installment without seeing a game :-)
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset