Skip to main content
Topic: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December) (Read 31893 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December)

Reply #165
He's a Marsh though. Seriously though, I think Justin Langer is having a big influence on selection lately, hence Agar into the squad for sydney

As Gerard Whately pointed out, Agar is the incumbent second spinner having had the role the last time we played two spinners.  There's not a huge difference between the performances of all of the contending spinners and probably not enough to displace Agar.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #166
And he's a very decent bat too....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #167
True, then why let him rehab at Test level if he is clearly incapable of what he was in the past.

Surely he should be proving he can get back to his best at a lower level?

Because he was batting very well at Shield level, 141 and a 95 amongst others, and they just wanted someone to relieve the bowlers. He did get picked on his batting form and I think that has been justified.

Reply #168
I'd have gone with Swepson if they're going to play a 2nd spinner. Poms have never liked leggies so it was a good time to play Swepson. A left arm orthodox bowler like Agar is bread and butter to England.

Reply #169
Not sure I agree on true fast bowling....Steyn has had it all over our blokes IMO, anyone who bowls outswingers on the money at 145-150km is going to worry you..Morkel and Philander we have covered but not DS.
We have been fortunate this present era has had few genuine quick opposing bowlers......I think the Saffies success in Aus is down to Steyn who can reverse swing the ball like no one else and takes the big wickets but lucky for us he is on the way out. England cleaned up the Saffies in England so I dont think that speaks well of the SA form and I would expect us to win unless we get an injury to one main quick...pity Pattinson cant get on the park...dont see Bird, Sayers etc providing much back up, prefer to see Jason Behrendorff on tour than Bird..
I'd stick with Khawaja at 3......

Maybe but we have 3 quicks and we've never been too bad against Steyn, especially, surprisingly when we've faced him in South Africa. He averages 27.5 against us and has a good strike rate but we take him for 3.6 runs an over on average too. He plays better against us in Australia than he does at home. It's strange how they beat us here but we beat them there.  At bats and bowlers seem to revel playing there. Their pitches suit us.

Reply #170
I'd have gone with Swepson if they're going to play a 2nd spinner. Poms have never liked leggies so it was a good time to play Swepson. A left arm orthodox bowler like Agar is bread and butter to England.

Lyon and Smith is enough IMO...I'd keep up the pace barrage and keep the bouncers coming... :)

Reply #171
He's a Marsh though. Seriously though, I think Justin Langer is having a big influence on selection lately, hence Agar into the squad for sydney

Yep, they are opportunistically going after Matthew Page as well. He's in the gun for leaving WA and they are going to put him on a pike for the Boxing Day pitch.

Not one media outlet has published the fact that the wickets were prepared by Sandurski before he left for the GABBA, even though the media know full well it takes more than half a year to prepare a drop in pitch, and Page didn't join the MCC until after the WACA test!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #172
Our fielding is atrocious at the moment, it's been glossed over because we beat up on timid opposition in the first 3 tests with superior bowling and solid batting, but our fielding will cost us dearly and soon if something is not done. Smith should field at fine leg

Reply #173
Yep, they are opportunistically going after Matthew Page as well. He's in the gun for leaving WA and they are going to put him on a pike for the Boxing Day pitch.

Not one media outlet has published the fact that the wickets were prepared by Sandurski before he left for the GABBA, even though the media know full well it takes more than half a year to prepare a drop in pitch, and Page didn't join the MCC until after the WACA test!

Simply untrue
Every article I've read said he was employed recently but did not turn up until after the Melbourne test started

Reply #175
Our fielding is atrocious at the moment, it's been glossed over because we beat up on timid opposition in the first 3 tests with superior bowling and solid batting, but our fielding will cost us dearly and soon if something is not done. Smith should field at fine leg

Go have a look at that catch and tell me he should field at fine leg.
I love you parochialism but geez

Reply #176
Fair enough, that comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but he did drop the previous 4 or 5 that came to him, and most were regulation catches for a good fielder (which he undoubtedly is). I am worried about our fielding overall though, the catches that Cummins and Hazlewood dropped were sodas, and continued a trend that appears to be worsening rather than improving