Skip to main content
Topic: The Blame Game (Read 4284 times) previous topic - next topic

The Blame Game

Interesting comments from Wozniacki's husband David Lee, gives you a real insight into the mind of some professional sports people.

Talking about his wife's solo responsibilities as a tennis player;

Quote from: David Lee
"It's gotta be lonely because you don't have anyone to blame it on.

"Whereas I can say, my coach didn't do this or my teammate didn't do that, so it's a little bit of a different situation in a team sport."

Wow, just wow, no wonder these people have fat heads.

I feel that little quote tells me so much about sporting and corporate psychopaths! It's always somebody else's fault. Reminds me of a certain Ex.AFL player and his downfall!

How do these morons become so successful?
The Force Awakens!

Re: The Blame Game

Reply #1
Interesting comments from Wozniacki's husband David Lee, gives you a real insight into the mind of some professional sports people.

Talking about his wife's solo responsibilities as a tennis player;

Wow, just wow, no wonder these people have fat heads.

I feel that little quote tells me so much about sporting and corporate psychopaths! It's always somebody else's fault. Reminds me of a certain Ex.AFL player and his downfall!

How do these morons become so successful?

I think it speaks to the highly competitive nature of such sports. The environment becomes overloaded with expectations and some will internalize this as pressure. In vulnerable individuals, one can lose one's self. Resulting in a detour from genuine connectedness. That is, disconnection with self and other. Some use the analogy of where one's head resides....
Sadly, some of these individuals fail to reconnect living life as a detached 'untouchable'. At the extreme and if stable over time, Yes, you are seeing narcissistic and psychopathic traits. Fascinating stuff indeed LP...
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #2
I think it speaks to the highly competitive nature of such sports. The environment becomes overloaded with expectations and some will internalize this as pressure. In vulnerable individuals, one can lose one's self. Resulting in a detour from genuine connectedness. That is, disconnection with self and other. Some use the analogy of where one's head resides....
Sadly, some of these individuals fail to reconnect living life as a detached 'untouchable'. At the extreme and if stable over time, Yes, you are seeing narcissistic and psychopathic traits. Fascinating stuff indeed LP...

It's a little bit of a blight on the rest of us that we allow these traits to persist at the highest levels, and our hypocrisy in labelling these people as roll models when they are far from it.

I think societies lack of action says something about the general human condition.

Look at AFL which is dominated by Pudding Faces and Ice Poles, dare I even mention tennis at this time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3

It's a little bit of a blight on the rest of us that we allow these traits to persist at the highest levels....

Not sure we have anything to do with the traits of people who become elite. Fact is that it is usually those very traits that allowed them to climb to elite status.
You have to be selfish.

The issue of role models is another story.

Reply #4
People succeed in organisations primarily by successfully meeting the goals set for them. Some of the more successful people in some organisations may leave a lot to be desired by normal social standards as far as their behaviour towards others etc. are concerned. That to me tells all about the culture of the organisations they thrive in.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
Tennis is one sport where you can be a winner by being a good looking loser.......

Reply #6
Tennis is one sport where you can be a winner by being a good looking loser.......

Dragging in the punters would be very important.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
It's a little bit of a blight on the rest of us that we allow these traits to persist at the highest levels, and our hypocrisy in labelling these people as roll models when they are far from it.

I think societies lack of action says something about the general human condition.

Look at AFL which is dominated by Pudding Faces and Ice Poles, dare I even mention tennis at this time!

I hear you LP.  Only this stuff generally develops and consolidates within the context of one's upbringing. Once that happens you're dealing with fairly pervasive personality traits. Tough gig, even for the 'expert's, to shift then. In some ways it's the essence of diversity, complete with flairs and foibles...

I think Kruddler's comments were on the money. Unfortunately I don't know how to paste them in :-[
Henry Ford.

Reply #8
I hear you LP.  Only this stuff generally develops and consolidates within the context of one's upbringing. Once that happens you're dealing with fairly pervasive personality traits. Tough gig, even for the 'expert's, to shift then. In some ways it's the essence of diversity, complete with flairs and foibles...

I think Kruddler's comments were on the money. Unfortunately I don't know how to paste them in :-[

When you 'reply' scroll down and you'll see all the previous comments below. Top right of each comment has a button with "insert quote".

Thats how you insert multiple quotes.

Alternatively, you can quote in another window and cut+paste it in, but the first method is easiest.

Reply #9

When you 'reply' scroll down and you'll see all the previous comments below. Top right of each comment has a button with "insert quote".

Thats how you insert multiple quotes.

Alternatively, you can quote in another window and cut+paste it in, but the first method is easiest.

By golly. That's seriously easy. Even for those with low IT IQ  ;D
Thanks Kruddler. 
Henry Ford.

Reply #10
Not sure we have anything to do with the traits of people who become elite. Fact is that it is usually those very traits that allowed them to climb to elite status.
You have to be selfish.

The issue of role models is another story.

You're absolutely right mate, plus we as a viewing public ( and more importantly the media) tend to gloss over the behaviours of some sportsmen/women if they are highly successful.......of course there are great sports people around that are also really great role models as well, they are driven to succeed obviously, but somehow have remained down to earth as well....these people are rare & are like gold for me as a parent of young kids !

I hanker a little for a lost era of quiet champions the likes of Rod Laver, Ray Lindwall, Richie Benaud, Betty Cuthbert, Alex Jesaulenko, etc etc, but in all reality even in this era, there would be sportsmen (and women) who's reputation might have been strained a little with the current saturation media coverage that sports people today have to deal with.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.