Skip to main content
Topic: Bell for Captain (Read 6993 times) previous topic - next topic

Bell for Captain

I've been tossing up between Bell and White for a new captain and settled on Bell as he gets on the park more often for a start.

Bell's improvement has been one of the few highlights of the year. If he keeps that going then he'll be a real weapon with that big body of his.  He's showing. plenty of aggression and would make a lot of his lighter team mates stand taller. He's strong enough to take the extra attention that captaincy brings which Murf struggles with.

For vice captain I'll have White and deputy vice Cripps.

Re: Bell for Captain

Reply #1
Bell? Dunno if he is vocal enough or extroverted enough. We dont want to go down the track of appointing another mute. I would be more inclined to pick White who has mongrel, seems vocal (at training at least) and doesnt take a backward step. One thing I know for certain, Murphy is not the man for the job.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
No doubt Bell has improved his on field performances but he's a retiring type IMO and he doesn't seem to relish the square ups. White would be my choice of those two but I'm not even sure about him tbh.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
I would go White if he can stay on the park with Bell and Cripps as my VC's .....Brad Walsh when he makes it onto the senior list would also be on
my future leaders list.

Reply #4
I would go White if he can stay on the park with Bell and Cripps as my VC's .....Brad Walsh when he makes it onto the senior list would also be on
my future leaders list.
Yep.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #5
Given the skipper is the face of the club and does a crap load of media, I don't think Tom is the man for the job.

Poison chalice I reckon.

Just let him play footy, he's getting much, much better. His last few games have been bordering on a B+ midfielder, something I never thought he'd achieve.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #6
The captain needs to be an established player.
There can be no doubt about him holding a position in the clubs best 22.
If all players are available they still need to fit that criteria.

You could argue both Bell and White are well on their way to establishing themselves in that position, based on this season's form...can they maintain it, is the question?

Cripps on the other hand strikes me as the ideal candidate.
Give him another 12 months.
He could be a 10 year+ leader for us.

Reply #7
If all players are available they still need to fit that criteria..

We're like that person who comes out of a relationship and couldn't stand a couple of the things their partner used to do. They are so focussed on those particular short comings that as long as someone exhibits the opposite of what they have the hung up over, they're blind to striking problems.

Anyway, I have to run. Prison visiting hours close in an hour, it's a half hour drive and I'd like to see the new gf today.

;D

Reply #8
If all players are available they still need to fit that criteria.

You could argue both Bell and White are well on their way to establishing themselves in that position, based on this season's form...can they maintain it, is the question?

Cripps on the other hand strikes me as the ideal candidate.
Give him another 12 months.
He could be a 10 year+ leader for us.

Yep, agree with Principal LODS. Cripps in a year or two... with Hendo as the other potential future Skipper.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #9
White as skipper oh dear God what have we become. No offence, especially to Elwood.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #10
Yep, agree with Principal LODS. Cripps in a year or two... with Hendo as the other potential future Skipper.
Not Hendo. No different to Murphy IMO, just too bloody nice for what our group needs.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #11
I reckon Docherty is the only youngster we have capable of being captain if we made the decision today.

Aside from him it's Henderson.

The others look more like down the track captains.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
The average supporter has no idea who would make a good captain.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #13
White as skipper oh dear God what have we become. No offence, especially to Elwood.

Thats ok Carrots, cant agree on everything...I'm working on the Nick Maxwell/ Tom Harley ordinary player/better captain theory......your mate Mick had to turn to Maxwell given
the factions at Collingwood, Harley was a similar story at Geelong.
While White isnt everyones idea of the pin up captain I think the idea has merit while we develop some young leaders...dont think it will happen though as I dont see the present admin
allowing a Blue Collar captain as its face of the club especially with White transgressing with that night club incident...both Maxwell and Harley were cleanskins when appointed..

Reply #14
Cripps would be my choice for our next captain. Maybe a bit early right now, but in a year or two ....
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!