Skip to main content
Topic: Team Selection Policy In 2016 (Read 20804 times) previous topic - next topic

Team Selection Policy In 2016

Over the past 10-years, far too many players have been "gifted" games when they (a) have not genuinely earnt selection & (b) are not physically ready to play senior footy.

Based on the premise that we have just embarked on a three-year rebuild and realistically are no chance to win a premiership for some time yet, I'm hoping that the club also implements a selection policy to achieve greater results in the long-term.

There is nothing at all to be gained by dropping Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cunningham & Silvagni in the deep end from Round 1 and leaving them there.

Let's face the reality of the situation, the gulf between U/18 football and AFL seniors is just too wide a gap for most young players to bridge. Most of these young players do not have the physical armour to protect themselves against players with 4-5 years worth of intense gym-work on their side. There is obviously the risk of injury plus the young players normally struggle to adapt to the tempo of senior footy as well.

We have just traded in Sumner, Lamb, Plowman, Phillips, Gorringe & Kerridge who have been in the AFL system for 3-4 years and are far more developed & ready to play senior football. They are the players that must be persisted with in 2016 on top of others like Jaksch, Graham, Whiley, Buckley, Boekhorst, Dick etc. They all need to be given the opportunity to play senior footy consistently because they are going to be under additional scrutiny going forward.

For the new kids, if they warrant selection, then by all means, give them a game against Melbourne or GWS etc, but make them earn it first. I don't want to see another situation like when Gibbs was placed in the leadership group before he had even played a game at the club.

Nurture these new guys in the seconds for a couple of years (let then play around 50-games in the VFL first) plus we will be adding another 3-4 newbies next year to join them in the seconds too. We also have Smith & Foster in need of some long-term development in the seconds as well.

We are all very excited about the latest draftees, let's not burn them out unnecessarily. Long-term strategy for sustained success, there is no hurry right now.

Who cares if we finish bottom four next year anyway, it opens us up to better draft picks next year as a bonus.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Team Selection Policy In 2016

Reply #1
Rule 1: Selected side must contain a Silvagni
Rule 2: See Rule 1
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Over the past 10-years, far too many players have been "gifted" games when they (a) have not genuinely earnt selection & (b) are not physically ready to play senior footy.

Based on the premise that we have just embarked on a three-year rebuild and realistically are no chance to win a premiership for some time yet, I'm hoping that the club also implements a selection policy to achieve greater results in the long-term.

There is nothing at all to be gained by dropping Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Cunningham & Silvagni in the deep end from Round 1 and leaving them there.

Let's face the reality of the situation, the gulf between U/18 football and AFL seniors is just too wide a gap for most young players to bridge. Most of these young players do not have the physical armour to protect themselves against players with 4-5 years worth of intense gym-work on their side. There is obviously the risk of injury plus the young players normally struggle to adapt to the tempo of senior footy as well.

We have just traded in Sumner, Lamb, Plowman, Phillips, Gorringe & Kerridge who have been in the AFL system for 3-4 years and are far more developed & ready to play senior football. They are the players that must be persisted with in 2016 on top of others like Jaksch, Graham, Whiley, Buckley, Boekhorst, Dick etc. They all need to be given the opportunity to play senior footy consistently because they are going to be under additional scrutiny going forward.

For the new kids, if they warrant selection, then by all means, give them a game against Melbourne or GWS etc, but make them earn it first. I don't want to see another situation like when Gibbs was placed in the leadership group before he had even played a game at the club.

Nurture these new guys in the seconds for a couple of years (let then play around 50-games in the VFL first) plus we will be adding another 3-4 newbies next year to join them in the seconds too. We also have Smith & Foster in need of some long-term development in the seconds as well.

We are all very excited about the latest draftees, let's not burn them out unnecessarily. Long-term strategy for sustained success, there is no hurry right now.

Who cares if we finish bottom four next year anyway, it opens us up to better draft picks next year as a bonus.

In the frame of reference that you make this post it's valid, but in reality Weitering has already played against seasoned AFL players and soundly beaten them. For example it's reported he stitched up both Watson and Jones in a pre-season game against NBs last year, when Jones was apparently in "Beast Mode", and it's reported he also got the better of Daw and I think the other was Tarrant against Werribee. Jones is still on the list, Watson looks to have let an AFL career pass him by, but if they were both there still I'd have no problems with the club playing Weitering ahead of them.

PS; Correction, I'm told it was Tippett not Tarrant.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
In the frame of reference that you make this post it's valid, but in reality Weitering has already played against seasoned AFL players and soundly beaten them.

If the boy is physically & mentally ready for it, then by all means give him more games.

I don't want to see the kid get beaten up and/or injured in his first season just because us supporters want to see him play.

Reply #5
how can i forget the great move of watson v cloke in his first game ,you are spot on sheiky .

Reply #6
If the boy is physically & mentally ready for it, then by all means give him more games.

I don't want to see the kid get beaten up and/or injured in his first season just because us supporters want to see him play.

I agree 100%, I am not sure Silvagni or Cunnigham look AFL ready, McKay has size and weight but we have mature options for his role at the moment and big blokes do take time.

I wonder how all this fits with Bolton's philosophy, "Get Comfortable with being Uncomfortable"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Dont think winning will be much of a priority and selections might depend on ladder position rather than form as the season progresses...SOS will want more early picks and a few players might get games they dont deserve to achieve the desired results.
Apart from Weitering I wouldnt expect to see much of the new draftees until maybe later in the season.....the GWS imports should all get a run at some stage regardless of form IMO. SOS will want a return on some of those kids to justify taking them IMO...

Anyone get the feeling SOS is running things and Bolton still looks like an assistant?

Reply #8
Anyone get the feeling SOS is running things and Bolton still looks like an assistant?

Only in relation to the list, Bolton is pulling the rest of the strings.

Reply #9
Sheik I happen to agree with much of that. I would set ourselves the goal of making the Northern Blues a regular finalist and build from there. I remember an interview with Neil Balme back in the Geelong days, and he was saying that they deliberately played players as a group in the reserves to allow them to develop together, and this paid off later when they came into the seniors.

I don't remember all the names, but Ablett was one along with a number of the later senior team (there were about 5-6 in the core group). We have that opportunity now to do this with the current group. Imagine Curnow, Weitering, Jaksch Smith, McKay, Cuningham, Whiley, Boekhorst along with the other list players, all playing together for the first half of the year. The Northern Blues would do well, the team camaraderie would form and the players would get to know each others games. Jack Silvagni would really benefit from this as well although won't play until 2017 in all likelihood.

Reply #10
Weitering and C.Curnow would be right to play now. Weitering could learn his trade as 3rd tall allowing Jammo and Plowman to play in the key positions in the short term. McKay and Cuningham might see some time as the season progresses. McKay just a little bit, Cuningham maybe a bit more. SOS jnr will need time to develop physically.

C.Curnow isn't dissimilar to Jack Darling. Could make a similar impact early on.

Reply #11
Dont think winning will be much of a priority and selections might depend on ladder position rather than form as the season progresses...SOS will want more early picks and a few players might get games they dont deserve to achieve the desired results.
Apart from Weitering I wouldnt expect to see much of the new draftees until maybe later in the season.....the GWS imports should all get a run at some stage regardless of form IMO. SOS will want a return on some of those kids to justify taking them IMO...

I reckon Bolton has stamped his authority on the joint and SOS has done a good job getting him what he wants
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12

Possibly. Would it be a bad thing if that was the case? I reckon Neil the Seal is having a fair bit of a say around the place.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #13

Everyone looks a bit less impressive next to SOS.

FWIW This is very much SOS's time in the spotlight so I'd expect him to come across as even more authoritative . Like people don't look up to him enough already ;D.

Bolts will be running the show from Saturday morning.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................