Skip to main content
Topic: Respect (Read 5479 times) previous topic - next topic

Respect

Has anyone else finding that there is a new found respect for Carlton from supporters of other teams. The number of comments after Sunday's effort has been incredible. Even the 'we were barracking hard for you in the finish' from Tiger, Bomber and even Collingwood supporters.

Bolts was hell bent on this group earning respect and I think we're getting there. 

Re: Respect

Reply #1
Has anyone else finding that there is a new found respect for Carlton from supporters of other teams. The number of comments after Sunday's effort has been incredible. Even the 'we were barracking hard for you in the finish' from Tiger, Bomber and even Collingwood supporters.

Bolts was hell bent on this group earning respect and I think we're getting there.
Indeed. But we still have a long way to go. But it is nice to be respected.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Actually there were a number of Giants fans around us actually applauding some of our players and their work. Good to see.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #3
Yes but I think we are in a "harmless" phase. By that, I mean we play good footy and are competitive but we aren't a threat...yet. When we are, lets see if the opo teams fans are as nice towards us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Yeah I think you are right GTC
Alex Ferguson used to have a lot of respect for managers who were not a threat.
A classic example was Benitez. When he arrived at Liverpool, Fergie was polite, they got along well etc. Once Liverpool started challenging to the Prem title, the knives come out and Fergie dug them in deep.

It is easy to be nice and respectful to a non-threatening entity. I want them to fear and hate us
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #5
It is easy to be nice and respectful to a non-threatening entity. I want them to fear and hate us

From where we have come from, there are phases that you need to go through to get back to 'feared and hated'. I think we are slowly ticking off those phases. This is just one of them.

Reply #6
Oh I agree, it is better than being pitied which we were and I am 100% on board with Bolton and believe he will lead us back.

I don't mind the steps, but I will be a lot happier when they hate us than having them respect us.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #7
Oh I agree, it is better than being pitied which we were and I am 100% on board with Bolton and believe he will lead us back.

I don't mind the steps, but I will be a lot happier when they hate us than having them respect us.

Once we are a true force again I won't give a rat's about what anyone else thinks tbh.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Once we are a true force again I won't give a rat's about what anyone else thinks tbh.

Having respect for your opponent is more important than getting respect from them. When you respect an opponent you realise you cannot shortcut your preparations.

Does Hodge have respect for slamming Wingard's head into a point post?

Does Mitchell have respect for corking opponents?

Does Lewis have respect for king hitting the opposition's best and brightest?

They do that stuff because they fear their opponent, they don't want to compete with them on a level playing field, that fear is a form of respect. They get in the media after the event and apologise not because they feel bad, but because they know if everyone starts behaving that way they lose the advantage. The Family Club is a smokescreen, a piece of spin a politician would be proud of! Do as I say, not as I do they cry, as they feather their own nest!

But they are the past for the moment, but don't write them off.

The new immediate team to fear is GWS and they'll turn thug sooner rather than later, once they realise being super-talented alone fails to get you across the line!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I'll be happy when we get respect from the media and AFL.
I know that is sooooo far off but it would be nice.  :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #10
I'll be happy when we get respect from the media and AFL.
I know that is sooooo far off but it would be nice.  :)

Do you expect people like Luke Darcy, Brain Taylor, Dwayne Russell, Mark Robinson, Kevin Bartlett, Damien Barrett, Jon Ralph and Caroline Wilson to respect Carlton?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
Do you expect people like Luke Darcy, Brain Taylor, Dwayne Russell, Mark Robinson, Kevin Bartlett, Damien Barrett, Jon Ralph and Caroline Wilson to respect Carlton?
Strangely enough, probably on Robbo and Caro from the lot. Robbo is a total dill, he knows we are coming and has started to write positive stuff about us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
That one would be a Bridge Too Far! But hopefully some more Carlton people can get some status in the media. That would give the caros of this world what they deserve.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
Lot of Carlton haters around....when we were a power club thats how it was and the club thrived on being top dog and us against them....good sign if more people hate us because they must be starting to worry about the rebirth... ;)

Reply #14
Respect is earned.  We started earning respect last season, and we are continuing this currently.

We may not necessarily win a lot more this year, but this is the first time in a long time, that we seem to be working towards making teams earn the win.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson