Skip to main content
Topic: Round 15. Green shoot of the Week.  (Read 3723 times) previous topic - next topic

Round 15. Green shoot of the Week.

Choose ONE ONLY Green Shoot you observed from the game.  Can be a player, passage of play and individual effort, any ONE Shoot that put a smile ???? on your face.

Obvious?

Re: Round 15. Green shoot of the Week.

Reply #1
Charlie Curnow
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Charlie Curnow

Big time. This kid could be anything, a future game breaker for us. If his head stays screwed on will be the best of the lot.

Reply #3
Charlie Curnow played his best game and had the better of a quality opponent in Lever.  I'm not sure that Lever has much improvement ahead of him but Charlie is really only just beginning  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Charlie Curnow played his best game and had the better of a quality opponent in Lever.  I'm not sure that Lever has much improvement ahead of him but Charlie is really only just beginning  :)

I watched the replay Q2 and Q3 last night (will watch Q4 tonight).

I thought Curnow smashed Lever to the point that i thought Lever may even be overrated....

I thought Jones was BoG by a country mile. Made tex look like a C grader.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5
Charlie was the obvious one but like the class of Cunningham.

Doesn't get that much of it but what I like is when he does he is a good user and has composure for a kid - accurate shot for goal too.

Loved his weighted kick to Cripps in the 2nd quarter. We don't have many players who have that sort of class or composure to sum that kick up as he did.

And just 8 games in to his career!

Reply #6
Gussys first kick , a 45mt tracer bullet.
His next 2 fell a tad short of target but they werent up and unders...... they were beautiful low rocket, darts.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #7
Curnowfides

Reply #8

I think following Lever around gave Charlie a bit of what he lacked, where to be and when!

Once Charlie is at the contest on time, and not exhausted from chook running, he's a beast!

I thought Jones was BoG by a country mile. Made tex look like a C grader.....

On chook running.

I think Jones is benefiting greatly by being allowed to follow the good forwards, his chook runs are now effectively eliminated! Dare I say it, give him a season or two of following the best forwards and he could well do a Harry Taylor and end up as a serious forward rotation option. It's pretty obvious now that his problems were always between the ears!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
We got a number of real positives from the weekend.

[1] Charlie Curnow
[2] Liam Jones
[3] Plowman stopping Eddie Betts
[4] Gussy Sheahan surviving the game.

Of these Charlie Curnow probably sticks out. He managed over 20 possessions and a dozen marks, beating 3 opponents on the day. That those 3 opponents included Adelaide's top defenders (Lever and Talia) says a lot.

Liam Jones has played well since his return to senior football. However, Saturday's game his been his piece de resistance so far. He took on one of the games' best and obliterated him. He marked all over him, made some spoils that SOS and Geoff Southby would have been proud of and provided some great rebound from defence. he looked more poised and sure of his decisions. It was beautiful to see.
If there was an area where we were questionable in defence when the season started, the key defensive posts were it. We had 2 good kids (Plowman and Marchbank) who could play on most types of forward and 2 of the better small to mid defenders (Docherty and Simpson). Our only certain key defender was Rowe (who has done an excellent job since he was moved to defence). There were more than a few questions over Alex Silvagni and that was it.
Now we have 3 key defenders who can take on the best the competition has to offer, even though Rowe will miss the rest of the year. We can now take our time selecting defenders to eventually replace these guys.

On the same page was the way Plowman held Eddie Betts. Plowman is expected to take on taller, not so fast opponents. However, somebody hadn't told Plowman. He did a fine job.

Also add to that Ciaran Sheahan, who got through the game well and who started like a man inspired. He will get better, considering it was his first senior game in about 2 years.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
Charlie Curnow has gone way past green shoot. Still no Rising Star nomination, though......but right now, I would have him ahead of the other four.

For me, the most unbelievable green shoot is actually a regenerating bush that I thought was dead.  Liam Jones, take a bow.  His desperation at the contest is finally paying dividends.  Still a couple of stuff ups, but he has now comprehensively beaten Jonathan Patton, Tom Lynch, Jack Riewoldt (certainly while he was on him) and Taylor Walker.  More importantly, he is providing significant drive out of the backline and he reads the play extremely well. 

This is a recruit totally out of left field. I thought we were going to have to spend part of our Salary Cap space on nabbing a big defender, but all the time we had one hiding in the forward line for the Northern Blues.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #11
Liam Jones..... Played a great game.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #12
All of the above, but also like how Cripps is using his size to take marks, esp. in the forward line

Reply #13
Agree that Charlie and Jones (3rd WK running) were sensational. Crippa looming in fwd line also made me smile and his opponent cringe :))

But to add to sentiments stated:
Docherty hurling himself into the air on the goal line to get a fingertip to the pill. He didn't, and nearly swatted little Eddie, but his effort was sublime.
Take a bow gents.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #14
Liam Jones. Fast becoming our recruit of the year/best first year player. What a bonus... it's like we traded one of the best defenders in the game last year into our side and after over coming an injury is now delivering for us  ;) :) 8).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17