Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 2: - Carlton vs GWS @ Drummoyne oval (Read 14323 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Rd 2: - Carlton vs GWS @ Drummoyne oval

Reply #60
Yep

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-02-10/scans-confirm-worst-fears-for-davey

Devastating news for Bri and the girls. Gee let's hope Arnell has another gear or two. All the best to our captain for upcoming surgery and rehabilitation.  I guess she'll join Docherty "coaching from the sidelines " :-\
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #61
We probably need to see a bit more...but just watching bits and pieces of a few games over the weekend I reckon one of the aspects of the game that has gone up a notch is the pressure.
Some of the star players aren't being given the same latitude they were last year.

It's a pressure that the women probably haven't experienced before.
Strength and conditioning is obviously an area where the women still lag far behind the men.
The body shapes of some of the women indicate that there is still some room for improvement in fitness.
While in these early stages of the competition size can be an advantage at the contests, there will come a point where fitness and mobility will be far more important and some of the bigger women will need to adapt or disappear from the game.

Short term, this situation will create a problem.
Greater pressure and a lack of strength and conditioning will lead to injuries. Some serious.
The number of these as this season progresses may become an issue, especially if it's the stars of the game that are dropping out.

Reply #62
Good points Lods. The ladies comp is still very much in its infancy, and no doubt there are teething issues and much work still to be done, to make it a better competition for players and fans.

Reply #63
16 tackles to one of the Hosking twins is extraordinary.

Kudos.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #64

Kudos.

I thought that was a typo initially.  That's a phenomenal effort for any player. In fact it probably pips the likes of Mitchell and Zeibell when the timeframe is considered.

Great effort Sarah Hosking
Henry Ford.

Reply #65

Kudos.

In the men's game, 19 tackles in one VFL/AFL match is the record, held equally by Jude Bolton, Tom Liberatore, and Jack Ziebell.

She would certainly show up some of our blokes.

EDIT : that record was correct as of may 2016.

Reply #66
In the men's game, 19 tackles in one VFL/AFL match is the record, held equally by Jude Bolton, Tom Liberatore, and Jack Ziebell.

She would certainly show up some of our blokes.

EDIT : that record was correct as of may 2016.

I'm not sure how much longer the blokes game is Paul. That considered, she must be sticking a tackle very frequently.  Amazing effort.
Henry Ford.

Reply #67
I'm not sure how much longer the blokes game is Paul. That considered, she must be sticking a tackle very frequently.  Amazing effort.

Yes indeed. For a part time female footballer playing a short format, that's just off the charts. Ridiculously good effort.

Reply #68

The men's games are almost twice as long. The women's quarters are 15 mins with time on only after goals and injuries. So the average quarter is about 18 mins, compared to about 30 for the men.

Reply #70
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-02-12/daveys-perfect-10

Davey got all 10 of the coaches votes this week. Takes her to 13 on the year and is sitting =1st in the comp.

She will be missed, and not replaced.

Interesting how she failed to win an MVP nomination, when I think she was clearly the comps best player right up until the moment of her injury, and the coaches seem to agree!

I think the media nominate three players each round, so they do not even have her in the top six!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
Interesting how she failed to win an MVP nomination, when I think she was clearly the comps best player right up until the moment of her injury, and the coaches seem to agree!

I think the media nominate three players each round, so they do not even have her in the top six!

Where are you getting this MVP info from??

Reply #72
Where are you getting this MVP info from??

They've been announcing it after each round on the AFL website, there is a public vote from which three players get the nod. If I understand it correctly, the AFLW Gloria Jeans MVP will be selected from the weekly winners.

Rnd 1;
Molloy 53%
Brennan 25%
Frederick

Rnd 2; (Votes not finalised)
Paxman
Hooker
Kearney
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
So a popularity contest.

I'll trust our votes, and the coaches votes. ;)

Reply #74
So a popularity contest.

I'll trust our votes, and the coaches votes. ;)

Sort of, I thought it was a bit like Mark of the Year in that it is a vote but who chooses the three options!

Hard to imagine how Brianna hasn't been one of the voting/voted options so far, maybe you need popularity before you become an option and we don't have enough social media numbers following the club.
The Force Awakens!