Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 24721 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 14; Pre Game Preparations: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #150
I can only go on the footage from The Journey and training snippets but Bolton and the assistants seem very relaxed and comfortable.  The assistants also seem to have considerable autonomy/responsibility and Bolts is often notable for his absence.  That suggests to me that Bolts is anything but a control freak ... but it would be nice to get an insider’s opinion.

I think BB would be very specific in the way he defines strategy and sets up the overall framework for execution and monitoring of progress. Within that though I think he would delegate effectively and refrain from micro managing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #151
I think BB would be very specific in the way he defines strategy and sets up the overall framework for execution and monitoring of progress. Within that though I think he would delegate effectively and refrain from micro managing.

Impossible for us to know from the outside if BB is a control freak... I don't mention that as a suggestion or even an opinion just as a poser. I recall BB mentioning that he lives and breath the CFC and that can suggest an imbalance... can, not does. I just hope there are people around him who reach down, grab him by the ear and send him home! BBs passion for our club does make him a candidate for taking on too much.

Some times it has little to do with being a control freak but rather being overwhelmingly passionate and totally invested in the success of the group and club, and that can be so demanding as to flirt with burn-out. I recall that people close to certain coaches have commented on how much more successful they were when stripped of extraneous responsibilities (taken over by others) so they could focus solely on their immediate responsibilities. Pretty sure Bomber T and Dimma became much better coaches and more successful when they ceased trying to do everything. Some in the know suggest that Grant Thomas would have been a much more successful coach had he 'let go' of certain responsibilities.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #152
Impossible for us to know from the outside if BB is a control freak... I don't mention that as a suggestion or even an opinion just as a poser. I recall BB mentioning that he lives and breath the CFC and that can suggest an imbalance... can, not does. I just hope there are people around him who reach down, grab him by the ear and send him home! BBs passion for our club does make him a candidate for taking on too much.

Some times it has little to do with being a control freak but rather being overwhelmingly passionate and totally invested in the success of the group and club, and that can be so demanding as to flirt with burn-out. I recall that people close to certain coaches have commented on how much more successful they were when stripped of extraneous responsibilities (taken over by others) so they could focus solely on their immediate responsibilities. Pretty sure Bomber T and Dimma became much better coaches and more successful when they ceased trying to do everything. Some in the know suggest that Grant Thomas would have been a much more successful coach had he 'let go' of certain responsibilities.

He actually strikes me as very similar to Ratten in personality and "absorption" of the club.
I actually love his enthusiasm and commitment...and I sincerely hope the results start to flow his way before the Carlton coaching "Black Hole" sucks him in.
He could end up being a great long term coach...but we have to remember that in many respects he still has his 'L' plates on.
That's not necessarily a bad thing because if he grows with this group there will be peaks and troughs... but they'll grow together and form a solid bond.
But it does mean that in the meantime there will be results like last weekend.
It really all comes down to timing.
Can he last the distance?

Reply #153
 @ Baggers

I really don't know either Baggers but I'm just going from his very relaxed demeanour. The control freaks I've encountered have been far more intense and obsessive, but in your line of work you have likely seen a lot more of them than I have.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #154
Congratulations to Weiters on his 50th.
I hope he has a breakout game and shuts up his critics.

Go blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #155
Congratulations to Weiters on his 50th.
I hope he has a breakout game and shuts up his critics.

Go blues

I hope he has a great game.

I think he had his break out games in his first year! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #156
CARNA BAGGERS!